The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 7, 2006, 01:36 AM   #51
riverrat66

Quote:
bruchi sez:
I personally believe that the one that fires first has the advantage, once someone blasts at you, even if he misses the shock will leave most of us, particularly those that have never been there before (most of us for sure) unable to react like the "Rambo" we all like to think we are.

Another thing is that the one to fire first, even if he misses has already the gun out and ready to go for a second, third, fourth... shot. You have to be incredibly cool to just stand there and take aim to return fire in an accurate enough fashion to put two on the chest and one in the eye!

The flipside is that a LEO with many years in the force, admired for being a great shot and winning many range matches, got in a confrontation with a BG, 10 feet from each other emptied their guns at each other, neither one was hit.
bruchi +1

The sound of bullets flying past your head is a sound you never forget! Shooting at paper targets is quite different then shooting at a real person.
Quote:
snolden sez:
Also, remember distance and cover. Practice shooting and drawing while moving. A simple lateral step will throw you far enough off his line that he will have a hard time reacting and hitting you in a vital organ. Do not stop moving. If you stop moving you are dead.
snolden +1

It may be good to be a "fast draw" and "good shot" but you could end up being both with a knife stuck in your heart!

I'm finding it hard to believe that everyone walks around 100% of the time at the "ready", just waiting to draw and fire. Doesn't anyone ever carry any packages or anything else in their arms. How about heavy coats, sweaters or jackets, no suits or anything to hinder a fast draw? Does your wife/girlfriend never walk on your strong side as not to hinder your draw? How does one draw so fast while sitting down?

I've seen the USPSA or IDPA shoots on TV and they do indeed shoot very quickly and accurately but they don't have anyone shooting back at them either and are most likely using a firearm with a 1# or 2# pull which would not make a very good carry gun. Everyone would love to be able to empty a magazine like they do in the movies but very few people are talented enough to do that, at least not able to hit a moving target that's shooting back at them.

I'd rather take a few extra seconds and draw & shoot while I'm moving and put 1 in their head and 1 in their heart.

Oh BTW, something I learned a long time ago from a Korean martial arts master. If ever accosted by a BG with a knife or gun you should start begging for your life, "oh please don't hurt me!" yada, yada, yada! Pretend you're crying if you have to! It makes the BG think you are scared to death and you're going to be a push over. Take your money out and toss it to him and that's when you make your move because he's not expecting it.

Of course this is just my opinion and opinions are like you know what, everyone's got on!