The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Coach Z

progressive vs.single stage cost of getting started

So I bought an RCBS rock chucker it and the scale was bad so I'm returning it. My debate now is I think for the minor cost difference I may just go progressive.I know for the single stage I need the shell holder and for the progressive I'll need a shell plate. What are the other variables that I don't know about?

Thanks for the help I really appreciate all the input I've gotten on my other thread it's been a massive help getting started reloading and just getting over the hurdle of wanting to undertake a totally new part of the shooting hobby.
Old September 30, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Claude Clay

choice of turret or progressive is 300 vs 600 startup costs
depends if you reload a couple 100 a week, turret
400 or more, progressive as in a Dillon sdb for pistol only
or a 550 does rifle also

with a lee turret you can add another caliber for ~$60
a dillion sdb or 550 is closer to 135

lots of choice, research. I taught re-loading and it was a
one-on-one class. pm me if you'd like to chat

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old September 30, 2013, 08:46 PM   #3
kln4

I like the single stage. It just seems I have the control I want rather than have a machine do it for me and it makes me concentrate on reloading. It's also a great way to spend he winter. And I crank out a lot of bullets.
Old September 30, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Mavrick79

If you decide to go single stage then I recommend you get the Forster Coax. It is more money then most if not all single stage presses but you won't find a better press, no shell holders, super quick die changes, tons of leverage, and the best part is the die "floats" or self aligns to improve your run out on rifle loads. It also has a really good primer catcher ESPECIALLY compared to the latest RCBS Rockchucker, you won't drop ONE primer on the floor. If you do get a Coax get the short handle and go to inline.com and get the light set for it. You will be a happy boy.

I've never owned or even ran a progressive so I can't really comment other than all that I've researched I keep coming back to Dillon which will cost you considerably more money and they are more time consuming to switch calibers. I still want one though.
Old September 30, 2013, 09:48 PM   #5
rdmallory

+1 Lee turret

Load it like a single stage until you get the hang of it then go with the turret.
Also saves the time on setting up the dies every time.

Doug
Old September 30, 2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

Progressive presses work better with spherical or ball type powders. These powders seem to work better with volume type powder measures. Not all that many people need a progressive press when you are not shooting in competition. Often you will hear of people loading a great many rounds per hour. This is the time to load after doing all the prep work like making certain everything is adjusted properly and all the primer tubes are filled. Most of the time those high rates don't allow you to check the operation very closely. I think a safer rate is closer to half of what most machines are rated for.

The more rounds you can produce per hour is going to cost you more money. The cheapest progressive presses seem to need a lot more tinkering to get them to run properly. This tends to slow things down. You will pay more for speed.

As to the Dillon presses, if you might ever consider loading something other than pistol ammo, I would skip the SDB press. The 550b and 650 have better leverage and will also do rifle ammo. There are also some pistol calibers you can't do with the SDB press. The primer feed is better on the SDB and 650 compared to the 550b. The same goes for the used primers. I still prefer the 550b for my needs/wants. I also have a SDB and use it often. I load over 500 rounds a week (pistol only). Occasionally I need to load well over a thound rounds for some weeks. The progressive press is the only reasonable route for me.

The turret press is faster than a single stage press. I think for many people wanting to double their output per hour would be served well with one. The next step up will be a progressive. You will spend quite a bit more money for a progressive. You also will be able to load a lot more ammo. Still, you need to spend a lot more money to get the components to do all that loading. Only you can decide if a progressive is right for you. The only competitive shooters I know still using a single stage press are all retired and have more time available to reload.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:12 AM   #7
rebs

I have an RCBS single stage and I resize and deprime a pile of cases, then while I am watching tv or sitting out on the deck I use a RCBS hand primer and seat new primers. I have a pile of cases all ready to load. When I load all I have to do is add powder, bullet and seat them. This way of doing it removes the need for hours at the press.
I have been thinking lately about the Lee classic turret but I have not been able to decide if I would be any better off with it.
With a progressive you have to fill the powder dump, fill the case feeder, fill the bullet feeder and fill the primer feeder before you load a single round. Once you are ready to load yes you can load a bunch fast. But I reload for accuracy and I guess just feel more comfortable with my single stage and being retired I have plenty of time and am in no hurry.
Perhaps if I had a progressive I would find I like it, maybe not.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Revoltella

I started loading on a friend's RCBS Rock Chucker. I didn't take me long to realize I wanted a Dillon 550. Almost two years later, I realized I needed an RCBS too.

Keep the Rock Chucker. When you get a progressive, you'll eventually find it's handy to have a single stage too.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Real Gun

Quote:
Coach_Z - So I bought an RCBS rock chucker it and the scale was bad so I'm returning it. My debate now is I think for the minor cost difference I may just go progressive
A "minor cost difference" is not likely to include the favored progressives or one that is fully equipped. For one who seems not so easily pleased, inclined to return things, I would caution you about your expectations or assumptions. Yes, asking questions is a smart move.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:47 AM   #10
jmorris

I have 11 progressive presses at home right now from the most decked out gee wiz to a basic SD and would say a Lee turret press wouldn't be a bad place to start.

It doesn't matter what progressive press you get, you will still find a use for a single stage or turret.
Old October 1, 2013, 10:43 AM   #11
lamarw

Plan ahead and go with a turret press. If you go with Lee, there is very little cost difference. Go to Midway and compare the cost of the Classic Turret and the Single Stage.

If you want to start out slow, simply use the Lee 4-hole turret like a single stage. If you want to pick-up the pace, then use it as designed.