The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 18, 2013, 11:11 PM   #26
jackthoreau

I want the truth to come out and until then I'm not going to make any speculations on conspiracy. But I will go with what you said ScrubCedar, I have the gut feeling Americans will be subjected to extreme limitations on ammo before the end of 2013. I felt this even before this incident in Boston. No I can't afford to hoard ammo so I'm not doing so. Not into reloading yet either because of my living situation. I have what I have and I bassically have cut my range time down a lot, haven't been to the range since feburary. I'm a half decent shot so I'm ok with storing what I have and not shooting anytime soon. I'll be waiting to see if things calm down, my guess is they won't. November of last year is proving its consequences.
Old April 19, 2013, 06:56 AM   #27
brokenhand

Powder Sales

Black powder and
And other powders too.

http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/newsro ... id=341435&

"Lautenberg will introduce the “Explosive Materials Background Check Act,” which will:

· Require a background check to purchase black powder, black powder substitute, smokeless powder, or any other explosive, in any quantity;

· Provide the Attorney General with the authority to stop the sale of explosives when a background check reveals that the applicant is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General reasonably believes that the person may use the explosives in connection with terrorism; and
"
· Make it illegal to manufacture homemade explosives without a permit. "
Old April 19, 2013, 08:18 AM   #28
globemaster3

Perhaps a silly question, but smokeless powder would not produce a smoke cloud like that, would it? Obviously in the small quantities fired through our rifles we don't see it (unlike black powder), but in large quantities... IDK?

Scrubcedar, all of the ammo and reloading component (and until recently black rifle and semiauto pistol) shortages are nothing new! 2008 saw the SAME thing when Obama was elected.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 19, 2013, 09:04 AM   #29
JimDandy

Smoke isn't always smoke. And smokeless powder still creates some sort of visible vapor that may be referred to as smoke. You can see it trickle out of a shotgun. But the cloud you're talking about is also the blast wave- the concussive force on the air, the disturbed dust and detritus on the ground being sucked up into that air.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:17 AM   #30
thallub

Blackpowder was not used in the two Boston bombs. Neither was smokeless powder. The explosions have the characteristics of a homemade explosive, perhaps one containing sugar. The home made explosive of choice for mid-east terrorists is TATP. TATP can be detonated by the application of heat. TATP can be used as a booster explosive to detonate other less sensitive explosives.

Quote:
One federal law enforcement source told CNN's Deborah Feyerick the devices contained "low-velocity improvised explosive mixture -- perhaps flash-powder or sugar chlorate mixture likely packed with nails or shrapnel."

An explosives expert told CNN the yellowness of the flame probably came from carbon or some organic fuel such as sugar that contains it. The expert, who is frequently consulted by the FBI and other government agencies, said the white smoke made it "unlikely that a military-grade high explosive, such as those used in shells and bombs, which is usually grey or black, was used."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/bos...thon-lone-wolf
Old April 19, 2013, 09:26 AM   #31
PetahW

Boston Bombing Fallout: ALL Gunpowder On Hitlist

Fasten your seatbelts.

http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/new...cfm?id=341435&

Old April 19, 2013, 09:41 AM   #32
Spats McGee
Staff

Same discussion, so threads merged.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:59 AM   #33
Pahoo

Evil has no Experation Date !!!

Fellows, at this time, I don't see this going anywhere as the timing is not good. These Gun-Grabbers have gone to the well once to often, lately. They are regrouping and getting ready for the next round/election. I too am getting ready by making an additional donation to the NRA and SAF. ....

I was reading through some really old American Riflemen, from the 60's and heck, we were fighting these same battles back then. I won't be around but sure that the next generation will also be facing this fight. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 19, 2013, 10:06 AM   #34
adamc

If O'man can make millions of Illegal aliens "Legal" with a pen stroke.....

He can do the opposite for us ..

with a pen stroke make Millions of Legal gun owners into "Illegals"

and I don't see any reason he won't at least attempt it... He promised it
just after he was elected (again)

the show is JUST starting

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old April 19, 2013, 11:12 AM   #35
robhof

robhof

Hey, good news, well sort of, with the shootout and chase with explosives tossed, early reports are that military grade explosives were found(C4). Now where did they get their hands on C4, mabe from the Fast and
Furious crowd, or from Eric Holder's personal stash?
Old April 19, 2013, 11:15 AM   #36
JimDandy

Where did you hear that? Every report I've read is that the explosives were not high-grade, but low-grade, meaning they weren't military grade, not C4, and not Dynamite.
Old April 19, 2013, 11:36 AM   #37
thallub

Quote:
Hey, good news, well sort of, with the shootout and chase with explosives tossed, early reports are that military grade explosives were found(C4).
Link please.
Old April 19, 2013, 11:47 AM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

Yeah - give all the BS - post a link - a story from a guy who asked a guy who told a guy ... Blah.
Old April 19, 2013, 12:16 PM   #39
kevinjmiller

And after West, Texas explosion, so will be gardening/farming.
Old April 19, 2013, 12:20 PM   #40
JimDandy

I haven't seen anyone but Dianne Sawyer having a day so bad she confused the B-52 with the B-25 suggest the West, Texas explosion to be anything but an accident.

However, these dangerous fertilizers are already regulated heavily. Only the merchants, and farmers are realistically able to get and use them, after heavy background checks. This is due to the Oklahoma City bombing.
Old April 19, 2013, 02:10 PM   #41
speedrrracer

Here in CA, there is a bill before the legislature (AB 760) to add a 5 cent tax per bullet or per component (yes, you read that correctly).

Hmm, 5 cents for one piece of new Starline, 5 more cents for 1 primer, 5 more cents for 1 more Montana Gold 147gr JHP -- the taxes alone would be more than I ever paid to reload a round in my life (if I were using new brass).

Good news is I could apparently buy 8 pounds of VVn330 and pay only 5 cents in additional tax.

Yup, it's long past time for these politicians to go back to whatever planet they came from...
Old April 19, 2013, 02:15 PM   #42
JimDandy

$5 tax on a tray of primers, a box of bullets, and a bag of brass.. $15 in tax revenue to load one hundred rounds(not counting the powder, because 8# of powder loads a lot more than 100 rounds), or $10 in tax revenue to buy 100 rounds. There's gotta be something out there that makes that legally wrong as well as intellectually wrong.
Old April 19, 2013, 10:13 PM   #43
mannyCA

****WARNING****

****WARNING****
Everyone need to just be quiet and don't post anything politicians can use in crafting the bill. Keep your yapps shut. We should know, Calguns was the site trolled by the California politicians to make sure they included any "loop holes" out members were foolish enough to point out/post about.
Just don't say anything they can use against us.
Moderators, please, please, please delete anything which can be used against us.

Last edited by Tom Servo; April 20, 2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Removed "scumbag" in reference to politicians
Old April 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #44
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Moderators, please, please, please delete anything which can be used against us.
Sorry, but no. We're a smart bunch. Some folks on here are really smart. However, I can't imagine we're going to come up with an idea or strategy for gun control that hostile politicians won't.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:52 AM   #45
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
However, I can't imagine we're going to come up with an idea or strategy for gun control that hostile politicians won't.
I dunno, Tom. Politicians have been extremely unsuccessful in coming up with the idea of "stop monkeying with the 2A."
Old April 20, 2013, 09:53 AM   #46
mannyCA

Let me give an example,' in California, they outlawed rifles with detachable mags which didn't require a "tool" of some sort to release it. We came up with the bullet button. This time around, they took our ideas and wrote them, at times, ver batem, into the bill and are using it against us. Another example is them banning solely centerfire rifles, well, we started using the AR platform to shoot .22's. All the while congratulating ourselves on how smart we were compared to the idiot politicians. Guess what, this time around they included rimfires. Just a suggestion I thought I'd throw out there.
They do monitor these sites, and they do keep track.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:57 AM   #47
globemaster3

Jim, I understand what you're saying, I just didn't expect to see the quantity of dust/vapor/etc for that size and figured it must have been from the combustion of the explosive material.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 20, 2013, 11:20 AM   #48
JimDandy

Quote:
Let me give an example,' in California, they outlawed rifles with detachable mags which didn't require a "tool" of some sort to release it. We came up with the bullet button. This time around, they took our ideas and wrote them, at times, ver batem, into the bill and are using it against us. Another example is them banning solely centerfire rifles, well, we started using the AR platform to shoot .22's. All the while congratulating ourselves on how smart we were compared to the idiot politicians. Guess what, this time around they included rimfires. Just a suggestion I thought I'd throw out there.
We know all of this. But we also know they can be too smart for their own good. When Senator Feinstein's AWB came out, I paid special attention to her "thumbhole stock" prohibitions because her summary made it appear she would even ban a single shot black-powder rifle with one.

There's Senator McCarthy who famously believes a barrel shroud is a shoulder thing that goes up.

There's a lawmaker in Colorado who was "tired" and "mistakenly" implied a belief that magazines and clips were not reusable.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:49 AM   #49
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Self-censoring because someone on the other side might get an idea from us is a heck of a slippery slope. The cure is far worse than the potential symptom.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:15 PM   #50
freedash22

Original Web Article

As far as I know, IEDs are already illegal to manufacture. Should we also ban all components that qualify for the word "improvised"? That's why they are "improvised", because they do not use standard and regulated components. Should we ban all non-regulated components that can potentially be used for such devices? Seriously?

This will harm all firearms enthusiasts and shooters who make their own ammo. Additionally, this will hurt people who reload to save money.

There was an accident at that Texas fertilizer factory which caused a huge explosion (my thoughts and prayers to all those affected). Should we also ban fertilizers and cause food shortage?
Obviously another thought-lacking push by gun control advocates.

The only ban I will agree on is a ban on tragedy-exploiting politicians who stand on the bodies of the dead and the injured to further their selfish and unfair agendas.

Last edited by freedash22; April 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Redundant link