The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Ivo Suarez

Minor but Unusual Maverick 88 problem...

Hello, my name is Ivo and I'm pretty new to the site (but I do plan on becoming more involved!). I purchased a Maverick 88 not too long ago and have been having some strange issues with it...

When I dry fire it, the trigger seems to get stuck backwards, and once the shotgun is pumped again, it can't release the hammer. However, if I forcefully pump it, then the trigger resets itself. When it's stuck, I can grab it between my fingers and physically pull it forward. However, when I do this, the next time I pump it, it won't pull a round out of the mag. The trigger being stuck backwards also prevents me from engaging the safety. Has anyone experienced this problem or something like it? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Old March 26, 2010, 08:53 PM   #2
the rifleer

Sounds to me like it needs a good cleaning and a drop or two of oil. What ever you do, DO NOT disassemble the trigger mechanism unless you know exactly what you are doing. Anything and everything works better when its properly lubricated.
Old March 26, 2010, 10:27 PM   #3
IYAAYAS

Yeah, do not take apart the trigger unless you have experience.

Sounds like it might be either really dirty, or way over lubed.

Use compressed air or buy a can of that keyboard cleaner, and spray the trigger down real good. Might be a bit of grit stuck in there. Apply little bit of oil.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome, IVO. My guess is that if you clean and lube, then run a few hundred shells through it, the Maverick will work well.

HTH.....
Old April 3, 2010, 11:50 PM   #5
mrgoodwrench76

What type of stock do you have on it? I had a similar problem on one with a pistol grip. The mounting screw for the grip was too long.
Old April 4, 2010, 11:16 AM   #6
jlv08

I had a similar problem with my recently aquired J.C. Higgins model and I took out the trigger assembly and sprayed it down real good with some gunscrubber.

The old lube turned into a kind of varnish looking drek that covered the working parts of the trigger group that hampered the parts ability to work correctly.

I elected to disassemble the entire group to clean it. I've done this before, so I have a little experience doing this type of work.

I do not recommend taking the trigger assembly apart, but you will have to drift the two pins out of the receiver to remove the assembly to spay the trigger group out apart from the gun.

After you do so, you can blow it out with air or let it dry on some old newspaper.

These guns ship with a preservative that is like a dirty, oily film that causes problems if you don't clean it out.

If you continue to have problems, you may have issues in your trigger group and that warrants a call to Mossberg or Maverick who have excellent customer service.
Old April 4, 2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Ivo Suarez

mrgoodwrench76,

I have an ATI pistol grip + fixed buttstock aftermarket stock.

http://www.combathunting.com/MAVERIC...STOCK_ATI.html

Now that you mention it, I never had the problem with the regular stock installed, but I also never fired it until after I installed the ATI stock.
Old April 4, 2010, 04:08 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Loosen stock bolt one turn and try again...
If that fixes it, add flat washer and split lock washer...
Brent
Old April 4, 2010, 05:12 PM   #9
mrgoodwrench76

I did exactly as hogdog said, took the bolt out, added a few washers and the problem was gone. I believe the stock on mine is an ATI as well......collapsable........