The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 1, 2009, 11:59 AM   #1
webhead

Is the a size difference between Sig P229 9mm and .40sw?

I'm trying to understand the differences in the frames/slides for the Sig P229, P229R and P229R Elite.

I ordered a kydex holster for a P229R but it doesn't fit my pistol which is actually a P229R elite in .40sw - the holster seems to be too small but not by much. My friend who owns a P229 (no rail) in .40sw ordered the same company and brand of holster and his fits like a glove. But his gun won't fit the P229R holster either. I measured the slides and they are the same dimensions. The company did has one P229R holster listed - i.e. did not list a 9mm vs .40sw version.

My theory is that the P229R 9mm is a smaller gun than the P229R .40SW/.356Sig but I can't confirm that... not fortunate enough to have all those guns.

So my question is, is there a difference in the slide/frame from the trigger guard forward between a P229R and P229 Elite in .40sw? The only visible difference I can see is the beaver tail extension on the back. And is the 9mm version a different size slide?
Thanks

Tim