The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 19, 2013, 01:32 PM   #76
Martowski

Glad you're happy with your CZ after its initial range trip. I own a 75b (along with about 8 other 9's and a few other "toys") and for some reason I can't seem to make myself love the CZ. I don't have large hands by any means, but the're probably average all in all. The CZ has the longest trigger reach (and reach for the safety) for me of any of my autos, which include the Beretta 92fs, Glock 22, XD, PPQ, Sig SP2022, and many others. And, in terms of range results, I shoot "okay" with it... but not great. I can shoot lights out with my PPQ and my Spartan 9mm... and almost as well with the 92FS. But for some reason the CZ's legendary accuracy hasn't hit me yet.

My purpose for posting isn't to bash the CZ in any way; it's a fine pistol with a deservedly fine reputation. However, it may not be the best pistol for everyone. But I certainly hope it is for you.
Old May 19, 2013, 04:35 PM   #77
Pilot

^^^^^Shoot DA from the half cock notch or just shoot SA using cocked and locked. No more trigger reach issue. If you have the original plastic grips, you can get thinner grips to also help with trigger reach.
Old May 19, 2013, 04:42 PM   #78
MLeake

He has a BD; cocked and locked is not an option.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:05 PM   #79
dakota.potts

Post number 76 is talking about a 75b.

Oddly enough, the trigger reach is pretty much the least of my concerns. The DA trigger is very hard to use (not much harder than my dad's Sig p250 DAO I guess) but more due to weight than length. My right thumb does touch my middle finger and can cover the nail but that's about it. I find the trigger easier than smaller guns I have fired, including a 238 and and M&P -22 (not many admittedly).
Old May 19, 2013, 11:36 PM   #80
DMMikey

Yes, I find the reach a little long for consistent firing, I find myself shifting my grip to make it easier. I have average size (maybe a little small) male hands. Thinner grip panels help some. Considering a reduced reach trigger. I can fire it ok, but my hand is rotated slightly, and I think that contributes to jerking the trigger. Need to play more. It sounds like you are getting very good results with accuracy. I may need to get a second opinion on my grip and technique. It may be all the revolver work I do messing me up too.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:03 AM   #81
dakota.potts

I did notice some trigger jerk affecting my shots as well. I thought it was just me (and let's be honest, it's probably just me anyways) but I didn't even think that it could be a problem of trigger reach. Somebody mentioned that the picture in my OP looks like it's at the edge of my reach
Old May 20, 2013, 12:38 AM   #82
MLeake

Oops, didn't realize Pilot was addressing post 76. Guess the little up arrows should have been a tip-off.

Pilot is correct, if reach is an issue with the 75B, cocked and locked is a good option.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:41 AM   #83
MLeake

VZ offers some very slim G-10 grips; CZ Custom has very thin aluminum. Either would help with reach, but either will also not have the coke bottle palm swell some of us prefer.

My hands are about 9.2" from wrist bones to middle finger tip, so I normally have the opposite problem - very small grips and short reaches are awkward for me.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:42 AM   #84
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Somebody mentioned that the picture in my OP looks like it's at the edge of my reach.
That should only be an issue for shots taken in DA mode. The trigger reach is much shorter in SA mode.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:49 AM   #85
MLeake

Right, but the OP has the BD, so his first shots will be DA unless he cocks the hammer on the draw...

He said it will be a range gun, and not a likely CCW, so this isn't a big deal in this case, IMO.

Trigger reach is definitely something to consider for a carry gun. At 5'6" and 115lbs (I think the OP said), when he hits 21 and gets his permit he may want something slimmer.
Old May 20, 2013, 03:17 AM   #86
dakota.potts

I will probably want something slimmer. I like my mom's 238. I also happen to be a fan of the Walther PPK series. But there are many more choices including some CZs I have some time between now and then to learn the gun and decide if I can carry it as a CCW but I would likely get something smaller regardless of if I carry the CZ at all.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:05 AM   #87
MLeake

Well, OP, it seems you don't yet have a preference of operating system. Your BD has a rear frame mounted decocker, the 238 has a frame mounted safety, and the PPK has a slide mounted safety/decocker.

I own a mixed bag, myself, but have found over time that I don't personally care for slide mounted safety/decockers. The ones I owned, I modified to decocker only.

Some people will argue that all carry guns should have the same manual of arms. They have a point, it does keep things simpler.

I don't necessarily subscribe to that theory. The guns I currently prefer are a CZ P01 (works just like your BD), a couple 1911s (Hunter Custom, Baer), an HK P7, a Walther PPS, and a J Frame. (4 different safety systems; 4 different mag or cylinder release systems; 3 different types of sight setups; you get the idea.)

The thing is, being able to switch between four operating systems probably requires more practice time and ammo than most would care to spend. I am comfortable switching, and do put in a lot of practice, but there is something to be said for keeping things simple.

Also, in terms of cost, if you can keep your choices in one family and caliber, you could save money on magazines, holsters, etc. (For instance, in your case, if the RAMI worked for CCW, you could use a lot of common gear with your BD; Glock and Beretta have similar families of guns, as do others.)
Old May 20, 2013, 10:02 PM   #88
marine6680

If you are having issues with the trigger being a bit too heavy... do a main/hammer spring swap. Its actually very easy, and a cheap upgrade. You just push out one pin and swap the spring. A #14, #15, or #16 spring are good choices. You can get a spring kit that has several different springs to try for about $15.

This video gives a basic how to on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtrGaQUIHk
Old May 20, 2013, 11:05 PM   #89
B.N.Real

Owning guns has a learning curve to it.

That's what makes it a never ending,lifelong thing.

If you're simply not comfortable with the gun,sell it and get one that fits your hand better.

Try a S&W M&P Compact or especially S&W Shield in 9mm.

The grip feel on these Smith M&P's are some of the best in the business and the trigger reach is adjustable through changing back straps.

There is also Beretta's Nano and the Walther PPS.

But the very best thing to do now is to shoot the heck out of that CZ-75 and also to rent some other guns at ranges to see if you want to get those instead.

Just don't give away your CZ-75-that's one of the classic handgun designs.

But Life is too short to own a handgun you are not totally happy with.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:32 PM   #90
dakota.potts

Hey guys,
Six months later to the day I found this thread again while searching something else. It's funny to look back at how much you've learned over 6 months of practice.

I love my CZ 75 and I'm much more comfortable with it now. I bought snap caps and did my due diligence clicking and racking the slide while working on the technique from the cornered cat. Now I am not afraid to manhandle it at all. Doing dry fire practice today (aimed at a full 55 gallon water barrel for safety of course) I was doing draws as well as tap-rack drills with an empty magazine. The slide has gone from a struggle to being a very satisfying pull.

I'm not a big person either. At 110 lbs I have very little muscle on any part of me. To anyone who is struggling with a slide, know that in many issues it may not be a lack of strength. Practice with proper technique saw me through to where I need to be. I found much of it was a mental block because I was afraid of hurting myself or the gun. I had to reason that if 20,000 PSI knocking the barrel back won't hurt it, my best attempt won't either. As far as hurting myself, I did catch the meat of my hand a few times in the slide and locking the magazine in, but this was mostly technique.

I'm now dry firing daily in lieu of being able to get to the range as I hope to get into Steel Challenge shooting.

I'm also considering out there carry methods like Smart Carry because I love it so much I want to carry it too. I wear it in the house pretty much every day.

So, if you excuse the love note to an inanimate object, there might be an inspiring story out there for somebody

Thanks for the help and guidance everybody.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:39 PM   #91
Pilot

Hey, that's great! Glad you worked things out with the CZ!
Old November 15, 2013, 12:01 AM   #92
armoredman

Welcome to the side of the light. The CZ-75 is an outstanding sidearm, (even the late, great Jeff Cooper preferred it for a US issue service weapon, that is if we just HAD to get rid of the 1911A1 ), and is in use all over the world today. I might suggest you look at the CZ-75 PCR for a carry pistol - I consider it one of the best factory built CCW pistols made, but people here think I am a wee bit biased.

No idea why they think that...

Seriously, great move, and try a High Noon IWB rig, I recommend the Down Under holster, especially for high humidity Florida.

Old November 15, 2013, 01:53 AM   #93
LockedBreech

The slide's small size is the single thing that precludes me from including the CZ-75 in my carry or home defense lineup. I have giant, bulky hands (I'm 6'5", 250 pounds and large-framed even when in peak shape) and I just can't reliably grab the thing.

Absolutely no fault of the pistol's, just me acknowledging a certain system doesn't work well with my body. Darn shame, since the Compact and PCR are truly lovely firearms, close to my ideal size. I'll still be happy to own CZ products for range use.

I'm glad you got your issues resolved. There's nothing like your first handgun, no matter how many more you end up getting (and you will!)
Old November 15, 2013, 02:24 AM   #94
Pilot

Using the overhand slide racking method defeats the small slide area on the CZ. Try it sometime.
Old November 15, 2013, 10:14 AM   #95
aarondhgraham

Just shoot it my friend,,,

Just shoot it my friend,,,
CZ's are tight guns from the factory.

You will not believe how much difference,,,
A couple of hundred rounds downrange will make in it's operation.

You've purchased one of the finest handguns ever made,,,
Get thee to the range and enjoy learning to shoot it.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 15, 2013, 10:21 AM   #96
DPris
Member Emeritus

Pilot,
I find that the thin slide riding inside the frame rails, instead of outside them, makes slide manipulation more difficult & awkward no matter how I do it.
It's a built-in downside of the design on the CZ pistols that are set up that way. Those slides simply have less grabability for manipulation in a hurry & under stress.

Denis
Old November 15, 2013, 10:40 AM   #97
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
I find that the thin slide riding inside the frame rails, instead of outside them, makes slide manipulation more difficult & awkward no matter how I do it.

It's a built-in downside of the design on the CZ pistols that are set up that way. Those slides simply have less grabability for manipulation in a hurry & under stress.
Thin slides inside frame rails, etc. All true -- they can be a bit harder to grip.

I've noticed, however, that nobody complains about this issue when they shoot .32s, .380, .25s, etc., and a lot of folks use them for self-defense. There's even LESS slide area with those guns, although the recoil springs are typically lighter.

Withe the CZ design, you can go to a slightly lighter recoil spring, and if you do, the gun won't break -- but will be easier to rack. (Back when, the factory recoil springs were rated at 14 lbs, but when measured, often showed 12 lbs. The guns shot fine, and didn't break.)

You can also put your hand OVER (or in front of) the rear sight) when you rack it, and you'll have less of a problem -- the upward protrusion of the sight gives you more to contact. If it's still a problem, cock the hammer first. The HAND-OVER method is better than the traditional sling-shotting in many ways.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:02 AM   #98
Pilot

A lighter main spring (hammer spring) will also make racking the slide easier, as will cocking the hammer first.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:24 AM   #99
propforce

High Noon holster

armoredman,

Gook looking holster! I am getting one of these.

Prop.
Old November 15, 2013, 12:10 PM   #100
Wyosmith

My daughter is only 5 foot nothing, and she weighs 117 pounds. She lives and works in a dental office in Oregon and she likes to be armed when she is at work.

I made her a high ride pancake holster some years ago which she carries in the center of her back. In it rides a full size steel frame 1911 and she loves it.

You may want to look at that kind of holster for carry. It hides easily under a loose shirt if you want to conceal. Full side duty handguns do not hade as easily as smaller guns, but with the right kind of holster and clothing it can be done well The secret to comfort in a high ride holster is to have it made of heavy enough leather that it doesn't sag outwards and also to make it wide enough to spread the bulk and weight of the gun out. It’s nice to carry openly too.

If you have to wear form fitting clothing then it’s just a fact that a large handgun is not going to be hidden on your body. But when you need to hide it, just throw on a shirt or windbreaker and you are good to go. The rest of the time, just carry openly.

For years I carried a 6.5" S&W 44 in such a holster, and I did it in places and in weather that would cause most folks to think a concealed handgun would not be available.
The big “trick” to carrying unnoticed is to not attract the eyes of other people much. That’s a matter of wearing clothing that is not designed to “show off”. When I was working for the government I would wear clothing that made me blend in as much as possible.

A fact that cannot be removed from that equation is unavoidable.
Some people just “stand out”.

A very pretty lady is always going to be one of those people. You can reduce that to some extent, but you cannot eliminate it.

When I was working for the DOD there were places some of us were just not sent into if we needed to hide. The man had to fit the job.

One of my friends was 6 foot 7 inches tall and weights about 275. There was NO WAY he was going to blend into the population of Thailand. But in Russia and in Norway he was fine. You see my point I am sure.

If you need to hide the gun you MUST blend in as much as you can, so as not to be remembered in the crown or attract the eyes of people more than just a passing glance.

In some cases a gun of very small size, or even a small knife might be worth thinking about

Back to my 1st point;
I know of no one making this kind of holster commercially, but any good custom holster maker can do it and they don’t cost much either.

If you’d like, PM me and I can give you the phone number of CJ Vandermuhlen in Riverton Wyoming. He does wonderful work and is very reasonable in his pricing. He made a pancake high ride for a 6” Ruger revolver for a friend of mine about 2 months ago and he charged only $65 for it. This kind of holster places the gun about 2/3 of the way up and 1/3 down from the belt line He can make the “ride’ anywhere you’d like it. 50/50, 60/40, 70/30, or what ever

I have a CZ-75 that I can loan him to pattern the gun, if you would like him to make one for you.