The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
hulley

Ever sell a gun because you dont re-load it?

I have a dilemma. I have a Five-seveN pistol and I really like the gun but I have no interest in reloading the 5.7x28mm round. From what I've read the round is pretty difficult and labor intensive to work up. Therefore the gun sits in my safe and I rarely ever shoot it. In fact every time I go shoot it I end up only going through one mag because 60cents per round is alot for a pistol.

Have you guys ever sold a gun for similar reasons? Since I started reloading I only buy what I can reload and when I have to BUY ammo it drives me nuts because It's so expensive compared to my reloads. I've gotten to the point where I dont enjoy shooting it anymore and thats a shame because its a great gun and fun to shoot, I easily hit soda cans at 80yds.

I know I'm asking a rhetorical question but I feel guilty about wanting to sell it and I'm thinking I'll have sellers remorse.

Thanks
Steve
Old November 23, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Given the cost to try, no I wouldn't do that unless it was a gun I didn't like.

There's nothing horrendously difficulty about reloading any particular round but the 5.7 is undoubtedly more complicated than others. I've researched it a bit because I'd like to get one some day. It has it's issues but nothing that dissuades me.

Sounds like you've got brass, dies are readily available, bullets aren't a problem. It's a $40 experiment.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 23, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
davery25

Yep, sold a custom fn mauser 98 because the chamber was cut very tight probably as an accuracy measure but it meant I had to full length size every time and also meant being extremely careful with loads as loads that were well below published maximums produced high pressure signs. Lovely rifle and I dream to shoot but too much of a headache. It was also in 22-250 and I don't care for that cartridge much
Old November 23, 2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Jimro

I traded a 270 for a 308 once. I have lots of 30 cals, and I had just the one 270, made sense to me.

Jimro
Old November 23, 2012, 09:28 AM   #5
myg30

Its costly to reload for everything you shoot. I have a few calibers that I never worked up a load for but I have the dies and all the components with the expectations of doing it when I get the time. Those guns dont get shot much.
I would put it away for a while, look for deals on ammo,reloading parts for it and if in another year or so you dont change your mind to reload it, then sell it.
I know nothing about 5.7. Maybe one day ?

Mike
Old November 23, 2012, 09:41 AM   #6
hulley

Quote:
Sounds like you've got brass, dies are readily available, bullets aren't a problem. It's a $40 experiment.
I actually have about 1k rounds of brass. I really havent heard good recommendations on dies and I'd think it would be a bit more than $40. It seems that the people that do re-load the 5.7x28mm are pretty convincing to not try this unless your are an expert reloader. I'm not an expert. I reload 9mm, 38/357 and I just bought dies for 45acp and 380acp, all very easy cartidges to load. I've never done rifle rounds before and dont particulary want to learn with the 5.7x28. I do plan on buying .223 dies soon though so maybe I'll hang on to it for a little longer.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, people say the same crap about the 357sig. It was the first round I ever reloaded. I swear people say it just to make themselves feel special. "I'm an expert. Don't do what I do unless you're an expert too. Hoo Hoo Hoo. See how puffy my chest is!? Hoo Hoo Hoo!"

Dies?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/261...set-57x28mm-fn

$32.99

What kind of recommendation would you need? There might be good, better and best but they'll all function.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:50 AM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
Ever sell a gun because you dont re-load it?
No, but I have seriously considered buying a gun because I have some brass and dies for it (.243WIN)..... if I had found a youth sized .243 when I was looking, I'd have grabbed it. Found a 7-08 instead.

I've thought about sellin a 7x57 '93 Mauser becuse the sloppy chamber wrecks brass ..... but the cock on closing action is just soooo slick... it needs a a new barrel .... it will be a money pit, I know ..... but I WANT it.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:09 AM   #9
hulley

Quote:
What kind of recommendation would you need? There might be good, better and best but they'll all function.
I figured any dies would work but I hear chatter about how one doe not size properly another doesnt crimp right, blah blah blah. I know the dies are not too bad cost wise but I still have to buy other components that I'm not using (yet) for another cartridge. I only have pistol powder/primers and the bullets could only be used in the 5.7, they are .224 bullets but lighter than I would use in an AR (which I dont load either).

I guess I'm just kinda cheap.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:14 AM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
I actually have about 1k rounds of brass.
Quote:
I guess I'm just kinda cheap.
If you were really cheap, you'd have reloaded those already.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:16 AM   #11
hulley

^^^you are right, but I dont shoot it instead. Sad I know. Funny stuff!
Old November 23, 2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

I had a nice .45 "chimney rock El-Droado" that I let go because I flatly refused to go buy dies for .45 when I already had dies for .44 mag.

The barrel of said .45 was also to short to legally use to hunt with in Ohio. That had an impact on my decision as well.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Edward429451

I sold a Cobra Patriot because I didn't want to have to make a special lightweight load for it. I sold an SKS because I didn't want to tool up for it.
Old November 23, 2012, 11:31 AM   #14
BigJimP

No, I've never sold a gun because I didn't want to reload for it....and while reloading for it may not be as easy as a straight walled case...it isn't that hard either.

If I liked the gun ...and wanted to keep it ...I'd reload for it / mostly because I know my reloads are more accurate than what I can buy / and I like reloading...
Old November 23, 2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've only traded three weapons away in my life. After a short time in all three occasions I regretted my actions.

1. 300 Savage for a Ruger-77 F/Top >243

2. Win pre-64 94 30-30 for a 22-250 w/ converted Mauser action & Fajen stock and a shinny new bluing job.

3. Tuned by Cylinder & Slide. a Colt Series 70 G/Cup in 45-acp. For a Colt National Match in 45-acp a case of beer and 50 bucks.

My advice: Don't sell/trade nothing. Look for more to buy. Spur the economy.> Buy another safe. Don't worry about the reloading issue. Some day you'll do or maybe not. Either way its a win /win.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; November 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Ozzieman

Given the cost to try, no I wouldn't do that unless it was a gun I didn't like.

Same here. I have never owned a gun that I didn’t load for other than 22 LR. As far as getting rid of guns, there are some in my collection that no amount of money would take them from me. Others, I get bored with and trade them for something else.
Many guns in my collection have NEVER shot factory rounds. I totally agree with you Hulley, the price of ammo drives me nuts.
With that said, if you feel any concern about selling a gun, don’t. Once it’s gone it will never come back at the price you paid for it, or got for it. Having been in this hobby/addiction for over 35 years there are a number of guns that I kick myself for letting them go. HK91 and a 93 for example when they were only bringing 700$.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:50 PM   #17
bbqncigars

If the gun is that accurate, and you like to shoot it, I'd reload for it. It can't be much harder than loading .30 Mauser or 25-20WCF, and I load those on an LNL AP. Just run a ball powder and have really good lighting so powder charges can be eyeballed before bullet placement.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:53 PM   #18
old roper

Sure have, reason sold the Rem 40x's and balance factory rifles just wasn't shooting them figured someone else appreciate them.
NRA Life Member
Old November 23, 2012, 01:40 PM   #19
TMD

The 5.7 is no different to reload then any other bottle neck cartridge.
Old November 23, 2012, 01:50 PM   #20
hulley

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna keep it for now. Maybe I'll get the dies and at least try a few out. Or maybe I'll just suck it up and pay for the ammo, it is one of my favorite woods guns!
Old November 23, 2012, 04:32 PM   #21
45YearsShooting

What is it that some people say makes it so difficult to reload? I can't even imagine anything. I'd guess that the "difficulty" is overblown.
Old November 23, 2012, 04:52 PM   #22
Rangefinder

Quote:
It seems that the people that do re-load the 5.7x28mm are pretty convincing to not try this unless your are an expert reloader.
Understatement. I've been reloading over 20 years, particularly for extreme range rifle shooting--so OCD precision is my norm. After 6 months worth of careful working with the 5.7 with unreliable results, I said to heck with that little hand-grenade. Way too touchy for my taste. A powder drop a couple tenths light won't cycle, a couple tenths over could cause a 'KABOOM' (and has for more than a few). You can keep that stupid little thing.

Quote:
What is it that some people say makes it so difficult to reload? I can't even imagine anything. I'd guess that the "difficulty" is overblown.
Yup--figured the same thing till I started working with it.

Quote:
The 5.7 is no different to reload then any other bottle neck cartridge.
Wanna bet your loading station on that statement? All my 5.7 brass gets swaged into .30 cal bullet jackets now. They make much better bonded-core soft-points than reloads, IMO, and aren't going to detonate in my face either.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:28 PM   #23
m&p45acp10+1

Hulley I have a friend at the range that reloads for 5.7 FN exclusively. It is the only caliber he reloads for. I helped him get set up to reload. While starting be ready to sacrifice some brass while getting things set up. After that expect between 3 and 6 times to reload brass. Neck splits happen, and due to the round being short, and thin anneling would not be advisable.

The process involves a couple of extra steps is all.
You will most likely need a universal expander. The expander on the sizing die tends to not open the mouth of the thin walled case enough. The bullet then being pushed into the case buckles the case at the shoulder. This is where I had to help my friend to work out what was giving problems.

Steps are:
1. FL resize/deprime. Be ready after a couple of loading to start seeing neck splits.
2. Expand the case mouth. (This is the part that will take experimenting with to get right. Open enough to keep a bit of neck tension. The bullet should not enter the case mouth. You should have to hold it up until it is in the seating die. When seating if the round looks like it has a donut at the start of the shoulder then open the case mouth a bit more. The brass is so thin that cases will do this if mouth is not opened up enough.
3. Charge
4. Seat the bullet. (Follow the direction on how to seat without crimping. Neck tension should be enough alone. Crimping will buckle the case as well.)
5. Box 'em, bag 'em, or however you pack 'em.
6. Take them to the range, and shoot them.
Old November 23, 2012, 06:20 PM   #24
Rangefinder

Quote:
Neck splits happen, and due to the round being short, and thin anneling would not be advisable.
Actually, annealing isn't even possible. The cases are all lacquered and aren't even supposed to be tumbled. It needs to be there for proper cycling, which is tough enough with the touchy little cartridge.

Spend some time looking through this forum, then proceed with caution:
http://fnforum.net/forums/forum.php

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old November 23, 2012, 06:45 PM   #25
chris in va

Sold my Saiga conversion because I didn't want to rely on foreign sources of ammo. Got an AR in it's place. Wouldn't mind having a VZ58 at some point though.