The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2006, 08:38 PM   #1
jhgreasemonkey

Want to start reloading...

I was wondering if I could get some advise on a decent but cost effective starter kit for reloading. The only 2 calibers I am interested in reloading at this point is my 2 favorite guns the .44mag and 30-06. I just need a decent starter kit and was looking for some insight. I'm going to ask my wife for this for christmas and need to know where to send her online. Thanks!
Old December 1, 2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Buckythebrewer

Go with Lee products,They have served me well for years and make reloading very easy and safe as well as cost effective.I have only used the single stage challenger press ,but you might consider a turret press if you are going to do alot of handgun ammo..I know it is hard to believe by the price but You will be very happy if you by Lee products..
Midway is the place I go to for Online orders.
Old December 1, 2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

just starting out

I can't agree more. It's a great kit that I started with and still use. Besides, if you, God forbid , you don't think it's for you, you're not out hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Old December 1, 2006, 09:08 PM   #4
FRANK1669

The best deal going for a starter set is the lee aniversery setup Single stage press Just about every thing you would need ready to go
http://www.10ring.com/cgi-bin/DropSort.pl?Kits&Lee $82 bucks

Get carbide dies for the 44 mag well worth the extra money

Cabellas has their own brand of electronic scale about $60 I would reccomend one but not a "must Have"

My lee pwder measure sucked but others have had good luck with them I use a Lyman powder measure and I love it (cost more than the Whole Lee kit)

Probally will want a tumbler of one kind or another

Start with the lee setup and see if you like reloading first If you plan on loading a lot of ammo RCBS and Dillon make exellent Progressive Presses but they are more pricey

PS Read the LEE manual twice or more before you start and check everything often as you go. And if you know a reloader ask to watch them and ask to watch over you as you start Good luck and be careful ALWAYS WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES
Old December 1, 2006, 09:32 PM   #5
jdmick

I started out with the RCBS Rockchucker kit and it works great but it was a lot more money than the Lee.
Midway has the Lee Anniversary Kit along with the loading manual on sale now for $75. I can't see how you could go wrong there.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=820810
The Lee dies are also way cheaper than anyone elses. I've had great luck with my carbide pistol ones so far. Here's the .44 Mag dies I'd recommend.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=790382
For the 30-06 I'd try these.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=300268
Cabelas also sells these dies for the same price but shipping might be less. Plus the Midway web site is a PITA. Very slow.
Good luck.
Old December 1, 2006, 10:06 PM   #6
C17A

Lee has reconditioned equipment for sale on their web site (www.leeprecision.com). Their Classic Cast press (similar to the RCBS Rockchucker) has the compound leverage needed for resizing 30-06, and can be picked up, reconditioned, for about $75 not including shipping. You CAN get by with minimal equipment to start with, and then grow into more capability. Make sure you get a press with compound leverage as opposed to toggle-type linkage (such as the RCBS Partner).

Ebay has equipment for sale, but you should first be experienced and know what is a good buy and what is worthless. My rule is "half price of new or less" for the total cost including shipping, for anything on ebay. Lee carbide dies are around $20, an RCBS Rockchucker for under $100. Lee dies include the shell holder, which is not included with other brands of dies.

Carbide dies are a must for resizing pistol calibers. Dies can be had from all the major mfrs such as RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Redding, Lyman, and others.

The Lee dipper set for ten bucks (instead of many more $$$ for a scale) is fully adequate to use for charging cases with powder. I reload 30-06 and get 3/4-inch groups with the Lee dipper set.

You really should trim cases for rifle calibers, Lee has a case trimmer set that is inexpensive. Pistol calibers do not need trimming, IMO.

Go to your local library and they will almost certainly have reloading books for checkout or in the reference section that you can copy data. Look for RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Hodgdon, or Sierra reloading manuals. Research all the mfrs web sites and get an idea of what is involved. Start your own 3-ring binder where you keep pertinent articles and reference information. You can never know too much about reloading. The NRA has excellent reloading information as well.

The Lee Decapper and Base (PN 90102) is good to get for decapping 30-06 cases prior to cleaning. It can also be used for 44Mag. You can wash out fired and deprimed cases by hand, no need for a case tumbler. Fired cases pick up grit that can ruin your dies, or even your barrel.

I like Lee equipment, it has excellent value.

Check out Varmint Al's website (www.varmintal.com), and Real Guns (www.realguns.com) for some excellent articles on reloading.

Thank You

GlennH
Old December 1, 2006, 10:06 PM   #7
Branspop

I have also had great luck with Lee, but I don't reload any rifle (yet). I prefer the 4-die set because I prefer to seat and crimp in separate stages.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=875273
Old December 1, 2006, 10:24 PM   #8
jhgreasemonkey

Hey thanks for all the advise. I printed out the lee aniversary kit and will give it to my wife as a hint.