The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 1, 2011, 12:11 PM   #26
Adirondack

+1 catnphx
Old May 1, 2011, 01:55 PM   #27
catnphx

Quote:
Adirondack said: I have a 36x27x60 and had to do again, I would have bought multiple 27x23x60s and separated my collection to different locations.
LOL ... I just noticed that you said the same thing. I truly believe this is the way to go because it will take the BG too long to break into 2-3 safes unless you are out-of-town and the BG knows this.
Old May 1, 2011, 07:35 PM   #28
Adirondack

Quote:
LOL ... I just noticed that you said the same thing. I truly believe this is the way to go because it will take the BG too long to break into 2-3 safes unless you are out-of-town and the BG knows this.
I also agreed with you gun safe selections too although the Fort Knox can get pricey.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:31 AM   #29
bearol63

Take a look at liberty fat boy jr. should be under 1500.00$
Old May 2, 2011, 11:59 AM   #30
Nnobby45

No shortabe of recommendations, as you can see. Some years back, Dillon Precisioin offered Browing safes on a payment plan. I bought one and it's been just fine. It's a big one with lots of room for rifles and pistols.
Old May 2, 2011, 12:26 PM   #31
a1abdj

Quote:
Take a look at liberty fat boy jr. should be under 1500.00$
Here's the problem with a lot of the $1,500 safes, including the Liberty you just mentioned.

Open the door half way, and assuming you're right handed, place your knee against the open door half way up. Place your right hand on the top corner, then pull with your hand, and push with your knee.

You'll see that door flex back and forth. Now ask yourself, how secure is something that you can flex by hand? Safe doors shouldn't flex by hand.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:57 PM   #32
pcb911

Been researching this for a while for my own purchase. Ran into a guy that just started making a gun safe that he designed. Really like the turntable in the middle so there is no area that you can't get a gun out of. They can also put shelfs in for storage of ammo or pistols above long guns. The website is www.pendletonsafes.com. Hope this helps and not confuse.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:07 PM   #33
Cuc Tu

I have a lot of respect for ya a1abdj and your no-nonsense descriptions.

I went with a Sturdy safe - no fire lining - and am very happy I did. I feel that I got the most safe I could have gotten for the price since I did not "need" a fire lining.

I really liked the fact that you can upgrade the steel for a modest cost. For a metal box, it is stronger than anything I looked at and very functional.