The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 7, 2018, 04:51 PM   #26
Doyle

One rifle that would fill the bill with a little aftermarket gunsmithing is a Remington Model 7. Very short, light, and easy handling. It doesn't come with a removable magazine from the factory but at least one manufacturer offers an aftermarket conversion.
Old November 7, 2018, 06:41 PM   #27
disseminator

Quote:
What's thoughts on current production Win Model 70 Super Grade? I have never owned a Win.
I just bought one this summer, and it's my third Model 70.

It's probably one of the finest rifles available in this price point. FWIW, I bought mine online from Bud's and saved over $400 vs buying locally. Mine is a 280 Remington model and the Walnut is Grade III/IV which is pretty nice, but not the best out there.

The gun has a VERY smooth action and is accurate and gives good velocities.

I also have a Sako A7 in 308 Win which is in the same price range of $1100-1200. It's a great rifle that has a removable magazine, but is composite and stainless not Walnut.

The Super Grade is a much nicer finish than that of my other two M70's which are both New Haven Classics, a featherweight in 300 WSM and a Classic DBM in 7mmRM.

One thing you should know: any gun with a nice Walnut stock is going to be heavier than the same gun in Composite stock. Usually about a pound or so.

I love mine and suggest you take a look at one.
Old November 7, 2018, 07:29 PM   #28
Saltydog235

Tikka is like an entry level to Sako, they share a few similarities but the 85 action is much more refined. 3 locking lugs, cartridge specific action lengths, controlled round feed, little better trigger and barrel, better walnut, bolt release on safe, stainless steel flush detachable magazine and quite a few models to choose from. 5 round MOA guarantee.
Old November 8, 2018, 11:06 PM   #29
disseminator

Quote:
Tikka is like an entry level to Sako, they share a few similarities but the 85 action is much more refined. 3 locking lugs, cartridge specific action lengths, controlled round feed, little better trigger and barrel, better walnut, bolt release on safe, stainless steel flush detachable magazine and quite a few models to choose from. 5 round MOA guarantee.
The Sako A7 shares the following features of the 85, and has one feature the 85 doesn't:

Three lug bolt
cartridge specific actions lengths
same trigger and barrel (and MOA guarantee)
bolt release on safe
plastic bottom metal and magazine with stainless feed lips (I love this in the cold weather over a steel bottom metal or magazine.)
plastic bolt shroud can be swapped out to use stainless or blued from the 85 (I bought both but like the stainless best)

And what does the A7 lack? The troublesome CRF that they shoehorned into the 85 action and has been the source of much trouble with the 85's especially in the longer action lengths. The A7 has a spring loaded ejector and fully enclosed bolt face, same as a Model 700 Remington but with a better extractor.

I really like mine, and I feel it is a much nicer rifle than the Tikka and worth a little more. No walnut though, so I digress.

Last edited by disseminator; November 8, 2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old November 9, 2018, 12:57 AM   #30
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The Sako may well be worth "a little more", I make no argument one way or the other there,... but it runs at least $250 (30%) and as much as $400 (50%) more than a similar Tikka T3x.
It fits the OPs budget, but that difference ain't chump change.
Old November 9, 2018, 05:27 PM   #31
handlerer2

The last I heard, the Tikka bolt was one size fits all. Unless they have have changed, a 223 and 30-06 used the same sized bolt.

I have heard good and bad things about them. The biggest complaint I have heard, is that if you do have a problem with your rifle, your on your own.

I own some premium rifles, Cooper and WBY's. Their warranties are supposed to be good. I was wondering about Sako's warranty, because I have considered owning one.

A respected member of this forum, a gunsmith, has stated that there is no warranty support from Tikka. They will not even sell a new bolt. Is this Sako's policy also. This is not my thread, but Sako owners had posted, so I thought to comment and inquire.
Old November 10, 2018, 10:36 AM   #32
BoogieMan

Heading to another LGS this afternoon. This one tends to have some nicer guns hanging around. Unfortunately he pushes browning as being the greatest gun in all catagories. After this one it's all internet shopping.

FYI- for the gentleman that asked a few posts back. I want a short action. Not a short cartridge in a long action. I have so many long action rifles, want a change.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 11, 2018, 01:15 PM   #33
T. O'Heir

Hunting what? It matters.
I'd be leaning towards the .243 as ammo is everywhere. While the Creedmoor may not be available in small places.
"...blued and walnut rifle with removable magazine..." That limits your options somewhat.
"...looking at other brands..." Savage. Except for the 'walnut' stock(that you can get aftermarket or live with the walnut stained hardwood stock that come with it), their M10 Trophy meets your specs. Comes with a 3-9 x Nikon scope and well under budget too.
Short and Long actions are a Remington thing.
A Tikka is a Sako. Distributed by Beretta USA.
Old November 11, 2018, 01:51 PM   #34
LineStretcher

After reading back through the posts, I think your best option is going to the Weatherby Vanguard. You can get a nice Deluxe in .308 or 6.5 Creedmore and then add on the Howa 1500 floor place that converts it to a magazine fed. That will keep you within your budget and the accuracy is sub moa out of the box. I can attest to that. The Howa 1500 is the economy version of the Vanguard. The Vanguard gives you the scaled down version of the infamous Weatherby Bolt that is super smooth. They also bed the recoil lugs in Acraglass at the factory and the stocks have the tension point in the upper handguard to minimize deflection. If you were to jump up to a H-Bar you'd have a free floated bull barrel but that may take you off budget.

I'm a BIG Weatherby fan but I also just bought a Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5. For 899.00 at Sportsmans Warehouse. I'm intending this to be a range gun only so I put my Schmidt and Bender PM II 5x25 on it and shot a few sight in rounds yesterday. It shot sub moa but it's a chassis rifle with an over molded stock so there are no excuses if it doesn't.
Old November 11, 2018, 02:12 PM   #35
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan
I want a short action. Not a short cartridge in a long action
AFAIK, Winchester, Browning, Ruger, CZ, Remington and Savage all make true short action rifles. There may be others.

The way I check is to look at the specs for a rifle chambered in a short and standard action cartridge (e.g. .308 vs .30-06) and compare overall lengths (I look at the barrel lengths too, to be sure the difference isn't a barrel length difference).
Old November 11, 2018, 03:50 PM   #36
disseminator

Quote:
A Tikka is a Sako. Distributed by Beretta USA.
Well, yes and not really.

That is a bit like saying the XPR is the same as a Model 70 because they are both Winchesters.

Tikka is owned by Sako but it has always been a "value" brand for them since it's inception and was never meant to compare to the higher end line.

And I think Beretta Holdings owns Sako/Tikka outright.
Old November 11, 2018, 05:00 PM   #37
Saltydog235

I’ve yet to experience any issues with the CRF on my 85’s, a .300 WM Finnlight, .308 Bavarian Carbine and a 7mmRM. Feed and function have been flawless to date. Nothing wrong with the A7 either though.
Old November 12, 2018, 05:12 PM   #38
shurshot

If you can live with a fixed mag, the newer Remington 700 SPS .243 is a fine rifle, very light and rugged. Or a used older Remington BDL in .243, if you like beautiful high gloss wood.

Last edited by shurshot; November 12, 2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old November 13, 2018, 01:22 PM   #39
BeeShooter

One of the best over-all hunting cartridges out there is the 7mm-08. Your choice of the 6.5cm and the 243 are great as well. Just buy whatever type of rifle you like the looks of and give her a try.
Old November 13, 2018, 11:37 PM   #40
Worc

Quote:
Boogieman wrote: FYI- for the gentleman that asked a few posts back. I want a short action. Not a short cartridge in a long action. I have so many long action rifles, want a change.
Now we are getting somewhere. I tend to like matching action lengths to cartridge length. I most definitely like short bolt throws. Nothing wrong with the Browning X-Bolt and A-Bolt as both will likely fit your requirements well. They are also well made and very accurate from all of the examples I have experience with. For your price range the Sako 75 in a clean used example would be a pretty good choice. Another used model would be a Tikka M595 Whitetail hunter. I had one once in .223 and it was a very nice gun. The 595 is the short action and the 695 is the longer action. the 595/695 Whitetail hunters were the model the Tikka T-3 replaced. There are some similarities between them. I sold mine along with my .308 A Bolt and .300 Wyb mag Deluxe all in wood to go the synthetic route. Hunting has been much more enjoyable for me as I was always trying to protect the finish on those W/B guns.

Both Sako and Tikka were bought by Beretta holdings around 1999. Beretta Holdings also owns Beretta, Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, and some others. Tikka's are now made in the Sako plant which they were not before being bought. Both are old Finish rifle makers.

The Sako 85 is a hybrid action as it's not a true CRF. It's still more of a CRF action but, not in the normal/traditional sense.
Old November 14, 2018, 05:02 AM   #41
Nathan

I would focus my search to something with a Win 70, Kimber, Ruger, Savage or Howa action. My preference would be the first 3 with controlled round feed, but Savage and Howa make good push feed guns. I also strongly prefer 3 position safeties that positively hold the striker. Hunting can be rough and tumble. Your rifle needs a positive safety.
Old November 14, 2018, 04:04 PM   #42
MrBorland

Fine rifles, but I don’t think Tikkas or Sakos come in true short actions.
Old November 14, 2018, 04:41 PM   #43
BumbleBug

The shortest & handiest deer rifle I have is a Ruger #1 with a 22" barrel. It's hard to find magazines for it though...LOL
Old November 14, 2018, 09:34 PM   #44
BoogieMan

Thank you for all the input. This gun is primary a whitetail gun. I have several 30-06s to choose from now. No issues dropping anything I drop the hammer on. I just want another rifle. Lighter, short action, less recoil. I hunt NE PA primarily. Woods shots out to max 150yds. I think I am going to take a bit of a turn. Going to go with a CZ in 7.62x39, wood and blue. Much lighter recoil, still plenty of power for what I need and ammo is plentiful. Could still change my mind and go 243. Really anything 223 or more is fine for ethical kills on whitetail. I also carry my 460xvr that I want as a a primary.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 14, 2018, 11:54 PM   #45
Saltydog235

Sako’s are cartridge specific actions, Tikka T3’s are all long actions.
Old November 15, 2018, 11:47 AM   #46
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog235
Sako’s are cartridge specific actions
Well, I'll be. You're right. I'd swear I looked into this at one point.

Good catch...
Old November 15, 2018, 04:46 PM   #47
Don Fischer

Ya might take a look at the Mossberg Patriot Revere. Supposed to be a really nice rifle. Read a couple write up's on it and they were really good. I have two standard Patriot's, blue with wood and really like them!
Old November 15, 2018, 06:54 PM   #48
Mattj4867

It might be worth looking into a Winchester model 70 in 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 falls in between the 6.5 creedmoor and the 308 win. Giving the best of both worlds in terms of higher bullet weight, velocity, and ballistic coefficient. I highly recommend the new Winchester model 70s as well. they come with a free floating barrel and all of mine shoot consistent 1 MOA groups and lower. I think these Winchester are significantly better than those of the pre-64 years. Better metallurgy, cold hammer forged barrels, CNC machining, and control round feeding. There’s a reason why all of the dangerous game hunters rely on control round feed actions. The are slightly more reliable than those of the push feed actions.
Old November 16, 2018, 02:28 PM   #49
Legionnaire

I don't buy new any more. I'd look for an older Remington Model 7 (walnut and blued) in .243 and not look back. If you had to have it converted to detachable magazines, that could be done and still stay well below your budget.
Old November 16, 2018, 03:42 PM   #50
NHSHOOTER

I am with Legionnaire, I have a model 7 walnut and blued in 7-08 very maneuverable , light and accurate!!!!