The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Chinny33

...9mm prices soar...

I went to my local gun shop today perusing the prices of things I used to buy before I started reloading.

Cheap bulk Remington UMC 9mm ammo was $99/250 rounds. Equating to ~$0.39/rd.

I handload/reload competition grade 9mm for ~$0.14/rd

4lb keg VV N320 $96.70 (3.9 grains)
1000k Winchester WSP $35.93
3750 Montana Gold 124gr JSP $340.
Brass $0.00.

I shoot this recipe when I compete in USPSA, IDPA & 3-Gun. Cheap target loads are 115gr FMJs with Unique or Bullseye. I can guess I make those for ~$.10/rd.

I havent even bothered to look at cheap 308s or 223s at the store against my reloads.

God help anyone who doesnt handload/reload right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9mm cutaway.jpg (17.6 KB, 88 views)
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 30, 2013, 05:40 AM   #2
testuser

Yes, I was talking to someone about the price of 9mm the other day. To think, a few years ago, I was wondering if it was even worth it to buy 9mm dies!

Proof once more that it pays to reload. Prices will come down after this latest prices spike, but I doubt they'll come down all the way.

Last edited by testuser; January 30, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:37 AM   #3
jmorris

You could just say "prices soar" as it doesn't matter what it is, as long as its gun related.

I used to be one of the guys that would try and get people to support their LGS as having things close is really nice.

However, the instant they try and bend you over the counter, stop giving them business and order online, in bulk.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
However, the instant they try and bend you over the counter, stop giving them business and order online, in bulk.
They aren't "bending you over the counter", they are trying to keep their doors open. There are already enough threads on here regarding this "supposed" gouging. Read some of them and see WHY prices have gone up so much
Old January 30, 2013, 02:51 PM   #5
serf 'rett

I'm quite surprised that they have 9mm bulk packs on the shelf!

I haven't seen one of those in about three months.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Walmart prices aren't up more than a dollar a pack.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Xfire68

Yes there were many many people that said it was silly to reload 9mm when the prices were cheap. Now they are holding on to the last of their ammo while I go out and practice.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:03 PM   #8
serf 'rett

Quote:
But there's no packs on the shelves. I've been in eight different Wally Worlds in the last three weeks (some of them multiple times) and haven't seen a 9mm bulk pack. I must live in the wrong area.

I wonder how high the components will go this time around? Will we see 2008 prices again? Or higher?
Old January 30, 2013, 07:19 PM   #9
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
The reason why Walmart prices have gone up no more than a dollar, and local mom and pop stores have gone up more, is because Walmart can order in bigger quantities than your mom and pop stores, which means the cost is spread out more per case than the smaller quantity that the mom and pop store has ordered. It's basic business 101.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Ozzieman

Four years and several months ago I purchased multiple cases of 9mm from a mountain store for 6 $ a box.
5 months later they were selling the same for 15$.
This is four years and several months later and I’m surprised that it’s not over $2000 a box plus 50 cent tax per round.
Welcome to liberal America.
Thank god I reload.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:37 PM   #11
rlc323

The shortage is really a regional deal, seems to me each town has different conditions. We went on a expedition for 7.62x39mm a couple weeks back.

Saturday we headed to a medium sized college town 40 miles north of home and the WalMart and Farm supply store had no 9mm ammo, cleaned out. 7.62 commie stuff out of the question. Of course when the super WalMart came to town 2 small gun dealers closed up so the choices are limited there. The two sporting goods places sell no ammo or hunting gear, only running shoes and workout crap.

Next day we were in a more industrial blue collar medium sized town 45 miles south of our home. There are a half dozen places to buy ammo there and WalMart was the only place that was out of 9mm. The counter man at the sporting goods store there had Federal Amercan Eagle marked down to $13.99for 50 and gave me a 10% off coupon from the flyer. It was like 2010 in here. They literally had Remington rifle ammo running over the aisles @ $17.99 a box.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:23 AM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
I simply don't buy center fire factory ammo...ever, pretty much. But I do often try to keep tabs on what Wal-Mart is selling it at, simply because I've got a lot of folks who ask me, and folks who are always contemplating getting this gun or that, and asking me about ammo.

I'm not sure when Wal-Mart took 50rd boxes of 9mm CCI Blazer Brass to $13.99 (no, I never see any on the shelves, either), but the last time I remember, that stuff was $10.49.

So, at least where I live... Wal-Mart went up WAY more than a dollar a pack.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

9MM and everything else up. I've never bought a box of 9mms. Was already reloading before I bought my pistol. In fact I bought my 9mm dies the same day as my pistol. So I'm not a good judge for there pricing. I feel for those who can't or don't reload. But at least there still available in some stores. I use to get a 1/2 full Ice-cream bucket of first fires 9mm brass from my son and his pals every couple months. For years that has been going on. Lately its now far less than 1/4 full. But I'm still thankful for what they freely give. I guess I'm start'en to feel the pinch like everyone else these days.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:26 AM   #14
eastbank

i just bought federal 9mm bulk 100 round packs for 22.00 a box and federal 325 round target grade .22 packs for 15.00 at walmart,the ammo truck gets there at about 10:00am,don,t be late. eastbank.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:47 AM   #15
adamc

Here in Connecticut ..nothing but dust on the shelves

no ammo at any of our wallys since "the event"

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old January 31, 2013, 11:56 AM   #16
BigD_in_FL

One local pawn/gun shop has plenty of guns and tons of ammo - and the store is empty because he has priced everything above the local Gander Mountain - who is already high priced. His choice to do so, but while his store is empty, GM is packed
Old January 31, 2013, 12:14 PM   #17
donkee

Back before Obama was elected in 2008 and I shot thousands of rounds of pistol ammo every year I stocked up during group buys that were run from my club. Thankfully I have enough components to last me probably 15 years since I only go to the range once a month anymore.

Once things settle down just start picking up a box or two every payday or components for loading your own every payday.

A little adds up pretty quickly. I did that with .22lr before any of the rushes. Probably won't run out of that any time soon either.