The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 10, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
IneedaName

Boar hunting locales in the Sonoma county area in CA?

Hello all, I'm an avid hunter of 10 years and am currently looking for a place/places to hunt. Most of my experience comes from living and hunting on a 2700 acre ranch in the Lake Sonoma region, unfortunately I no longer have permission to hunt there and am currently residing in Santa Rosa but am willing to travel. The proper hunting safety and etiquette are paramount in my eyes, so please, don't be bashful if you're looking for a hunter or a hunting partner. I'm an old fashioned hunter, I don't use dogs and I rarely bring a scoped weapon, not saying they're bad just not my style. Not really sure what else to mention except I'm even willing to talk to private property owners so BLM land isn't the only option. Not only that but pretty much each public hunting grounds in the area I've visited are pretty barren. Thanks for any help. If there's anything I didn't cover feel free to ask.

P.s. I prefer rifle hunting but am a proficient archer if all you know of is an archery only site

One last thing, if you're in the area and you help find me a place I'd be more than happy to share my bounty for your help
Old November 10, 2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Scorch

Having gone through the same exercise a few years ago, I would recommend you head towards Tehama or Napa. There are lots of pigs in those areas now, and ranchers and vineyards are pretty eager to get rid of them (keep in mind that it may take a few visits before they consider you worthy). Many of the areas I used to hunt are closed to vehicle traffic now, which is a plus in some ways, not so much in others.

A few tips:
* Take a few weekends and go knock on ranch doors and just ask if they know anyone in the area who might be having trouble with pigs. Offer a business card with all of your contact info on it (including an address) so you come across as serious and not a drive-by. If they offer a name, ask if you can use their name when you meet the other person (country folk are kind of sticklers about some things).

* Go talk to feed store owners, they will likely have some information for you on who to talk to. Put up a few fliers in those feed stores if the owner says it sounds like a good idea.

* Spend some time in the small local diners ranchers stop in at. Chat up the servers, see if they have heard of anyone who is seeing damage from pigs. Leave them a few cards, and don't forget to tip them.

* These same techniques work for finding good coyote and ground squirrel shooting areas, too.

* Once you find a rancher willing to let you hunt, offer to do some work for the privilege of access (fix fences, do truck repair if you know how, patch feed tanks, fill holes in the roads, etc). Of course, offer some of your game if you are successful, but most could get meat themselves pretty easily if they wanted it.
Old November 10, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
IneedaName

Great tips

I never would have thought of a hunting business card before. BRILLIANT!! As was the idea of offering a helping hand on the ranch. Thank you.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Zorro

Do you have a military ID?

Vandenberg AFB has a pig plague.

Come to Vandenberg and kill as many pigs as you can kill.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
IneedaName

I do have a military ID but VanAFB is a little farther than I'd care to travel. But if all else fails I'll definitely give the base a call. Thank you all for the help.

Just as a follow up I've taken the advice about business cards and flyers seriously, ordered some right up. I was thinking I'd start off by hitting the diners in Healdsburg and the surrounding bait/tackle and feed stores and hopefully by then I'll have a lead on a ranch. This is right next to the Lake Sonoma region that I'm familiar with so I'm hoping I can find a place by winters end. If any locals would care to join in the hunt once I've found a place feel free.

Last edited by IneedaName; November 12, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
old roper

Ft Bragg is couple hrs north of Santa Rosa

http://www.bragg.army.mil/directorat...%20200-1-1.pdf

Mendocino National Forest starts just above Clearlake that's just little over an hr north of you.

We used to own a house in Kenwood and and my first deer hunt with my dad in the early 50's was around Calistoga. I know lot of those ranches are leased out for hunting rights but you might be able to find a deal just for pig hunting. I'd sure be careful putting my phone on flyers out there.
NRA Life Member