The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2007, 04:10 PM   #26
BigJimP

Dillon 650 - the powder check system is a battery operated rod that drops into the case and measures the depth of the powder in the case. As it bottoms out - in the mid range it's ok and gives no "beep" - but if it is signifcantly low or high it will beep. I think, depeding on the calliber, and the powder being used it's at least accurate to + - 0.3 of a grain ( which is not ok , but it will absolutely tell you if you double charge a case or have no powder dropped into a case - and that's what its for.

The press comes with 2 primer tubes as I recall - they never wear out. You drop the primers in a flip tray, fill the tube by pressing it down on the primers and they stack inside the tube. You then turn the tube upside down - put it into the primer holding tube in the press and refill the primer holding tube in the press. It takes a couple of minutes to fill the tube - 100 primers - and you are off and running. If I'm running a large volume - I fill 2 or 3 tubes at once - and refill the press as required. There is an alarm on the primer tube on the press - that alerts you when primers are getting low. Not a big deal.

The final die in the Dillon press - is the 3rd die in a "set". It does the finaly smoothing of the case wall, removing any bell left, and checks the depth of the bullet. It's just the last stage. But you buy that die in a set - not separately.

Buying a 650 without the case feeder just reduces your rds per hour by maybe 20% - and you can add it later. If you can afford it - buy it now. The case feeder is electric / the disc inside the feeder rotates and picks up empty cases and drops them into a feed tube that goes into station 1 where they are dispensed.

The powder measure on the dillon is a lever actuated rod that moves back and forth at the bottom of the powder cannister. You adjust it by moving an adjustment nut on the back of the rod that varies the amount of powder up and down - by expanding or contracting the amount of the opening in the rod. So it's a volume feed operation. It is very accurate / can be adjusted to hundredths of a grain / but again depends on the powder you use and how well it meters. I like Hodgdon Titegroup.

Dillon's presses are not cheap / but they are worth every penny in my view ( and it's my hands, eyes shooting these loads ) or my kids and grandkids. I'm confident the powder check system gives me that extra margin of security / that I'm getting a consistent and safe load. Unless you did something contrary to good loading practice - it would be next to impossible to double charge a load or run a load thru with a significantly high or low powder charge.

I will also tell you - since I shoot a lot of semi-auto weapons - that I check every single round with a case gague before I box it up. Every round gets dropped in - for length / and for cofirmation that it will feed. If a round sticks going into the case gague / or when I drop it out - I reject it. Last week - I loaded 20 boxes of 9mm - and I rejected 2 rounds that did not go thru the case gague cleanly. Both had very small cracks in the brass - that I did not detect with my fingers. So I pulled the bullets, recycled the powder and dumped the brass. It's my hands & eyes / my boys /my grandkids - so it's how I do things. Reloading takes a "meticulous" pesonality - close enough is not good. You need to be precise / pay attention / keep the press clean / check the powder drops about every 10th round / if the press makes a wierd noise or if something doesn't feel right -shut it down and figure it out. If you do all that - it's relaxing, and a great part of our pastime. I'd reload even if it wasn't cheaper - I like shooting my own stuff / and I like the time I spend with one of the kids doing some reloading. We bs a little / and they stay focused - its not a place to play grab ass or fool around.
Old October 5, 2007, 03:54 AM   #27
nibbler

Thanks guys.

Do 9mm cartridges need to be crimped?

So if I get the Dillon, I purchase the actual press here:

http://dillonprecision.com.au/Produc...SID=0#99999000

It's listed as "38 Super-9mm-9x21"- what parts does it come with that are relevant to those calibers? I then need a die set like this right?

http://dillonprecision.com.au/Dillon...stol/products/

So where does the powder die come in? It's not listed in that die set.

This is confusing me a little- I've been used to a very simple three die Lee

If I have a sizing/deprimer die on the Dillion, then a bullet seating die, crimping die plus powder dispenser and powder check system- what goes in the sixth station?

What is included with the RCBS Pro-2000 press? Would I need to get anything other than a set of dies to start using it immediately?

Thanks for the advice again.
Old October 5, 2007, 04:10 PM   #28
BigJimP

There are only 5 stations on a Dillon 650 - not 6 stations. #1 deprimes and resizes, #2 bells the case, dispenses the powder and seats a new primer, #3 is the powder check station, #4 is the bullet seating, #5 is the final sizing die.

A 650 press does not come with a die set. You buy 3 dies in a set ( for station 1, 4 and 5 ( station 2 - powder dispenser comes with its die / etc ).

The press comes with one caliber conversion kit ( say for a 9mm ) - and it comes with a powder measure and a primer system - so all you need to buy is a 3 piece set of dies for 9mm - and a casefeeder, the powder check system, strong mount, roller handle if you want it, bullet tray, and a low powder sensor if you want it. I'd recommend you buy a primer flip tray and a maintenance kit and cover. Then if you want to add a caliber down the road ( say .45 acp) - a .45 acp conversion kit ( shell holder, etc comes with it), a quick change kit with powder system, and a set of dies for .45 ACP.

I like the Dillon press - but I'm not saying the RCBS 2000 is a bad machine. In fact they aren't really that different - but do you want a case feeder and do you want manual or automatic indexing, do you want a powder check system. Both presses will load shells - Dillon is auto indexing RCBS is not / Dillon has a powder check system RCBS does not / Dillon has a case feeder RCBS does not. The RCBS is still a good press / for me the deal breaker is the powder check system a big plus in safety / and the case feeder (makes it a lot faster ). On my 650 I had 30 min to kill this morning - so I loaded 8 boxes of 9mm and boxed them up .......its that easy. I was down to 5 boxes on the shelf - and I know the boys want to go shooting this weekend. In a stray hour tonite or tomorrow I'll load another 20 boxes - so I'm all set to go ( it's a no fuss operation ).
Old October 5, 2007, 06:06 PM   #29
nibbler

The RCBS does have a powder check die of sorts doesn't it? The Lock-Out-Die.

I won't be able to try out the RCBS, but I'm going to go to a friends place and get some first hand experience with the 650 if possible.

Can someone explain to me exactly what I'd need to get with the Pro-2000 to have a fully operational machine. I'll need a set of dies of course, and the Lock-Out-Die, but is that it?

Thanks!
Old October 6, 2007, 07:12 AM   #30
WmCC

This is provided from an earlier post: First, let me say that the current crop of progressive presses being offered by Dillon, Hornady and Lee are all very good tools with excellent warranties and support. That said, following some five years of hard use, I consider the Pro 2000 to be an exceptional press and have been extremely happy with it.

I previously used both the Dillon 550 and 650 and they each worked extremely well, albeit demonstrating a need for little "piecey" parts from time-to-time. Not an issue with the 2000. My reason for the switch involved the move from loading high volume(s) of a single cartridge, (Bullseye and IDPA competition), to moderate quantities of several different cartridges with fairly frequent changeovers. For me, the 2000 is the quickest and easiest to convert of all of the current offerings, including Dillon and Hornady. If you change cartridges frequently, this is a MAJOR consideration.

The RCBS is arguably the strongest and simplest progressive available. I prefer iron to aluminum, especially in the critical toggle assembly. Yes, I have seen six broken Dillon toggle links, one of which was on my 650. The precision and ease of use of both the RCBS priming and powder metering systems, respectively, is excellent. I did purchase the optional tube priming system but haven't used it as I've enjoyed the strip system far more than I thought I would. My preference is for manual indexing over auto index. Interestingly, my rate of production did not change between the 650 and 2000; however, to be honest, I did not use (or want) a case feeder on the former.

If I were starting over again, I would choose the 2000, even for high volume match shooting... assuming that I wouldn't have to lug the beast to matches. It's obvious why it was/is the press of choice of the NRA technical staff and shooters/writers such as John Taffin.

LTCOL USMC RET
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Last edited by WmCC; October 6, 2007 at 07:43 AM.