The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 23, 2014, 10:58 PM   #1
dr1445

black diamond sights

my tc black diamond came with no iron sights. i am considering the williams wgrs peep sight. which front sight would be a good match for the peep sight, that fits the black diamond? the marbles uni ramp looks interesting but i am not sure it fits.
Old December 24, 2014, 04:41 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Most important thing is to make sure the front and rear sights are compatible in heights. BTW, I installed a fibre optic front sight on one fellow's smokepole. For aging eyes, it helps.
Old December 24, 2014, 04:55 PM   #3
dr1445

the williams wgrs has one designed for the black diamond, so it should be compatible with the tc black diamond front sight. the problem is i do not have a tc front sight to measure the height. does anyone know the height so i can order the correct marbles fiber optic front sight? yes, i have the ancient eyes, they would enjoy any help i can provide.
Old December 25, 2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Pahoo

Let me check and get back to you. ..

does anyone know the height so i can order the correct marbles fiber optic front sight?
These Black diamonds, came with front and rear fiber-optic sights. Give me a little time and I will measure mine. In fact, I may have an extra front fight. The measurement that I will provide, will be from the tope of the barrel to the top of the sight. I know that I also have a set of scope bases and if you really want to stretch the performance, I'd suggest a scope. Will get back to you, later today. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 25, 2014, 12:10 PM   #5
dr1445

the rifle came with weaver mounts that i put a cheap tasco scope on. i tried it out at the range, put 10 rounds throught it, it shots fine but i find the scope just gets in the way things. i may go to a scout scope at some point but first i wanted to try the fiber optic front sight with a peep. i was shooting havester green [44] with 240 hornady swagged lead and 80 gr black mz. my bore sighting worked and got me on the paper @ 50yds in foggy, dizzle conditions.
Old December 26, 2014, 07:43 AM   #6
dr1445

i scaled a couple of internet photos based on knowing the barrel diameter at the sight. i come up with 1/2" for the sight height with a 22" barrel. give or take some where between a 1/64" and 1/32". looking for conformation before i order. i tried to raise tc but they are closed till the new year, nobody home.
Old December 26, 2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Pahoo

Will confirm, today !!!

dr1445
I've been wrapped up with Christmas "stuff" but will make sure to check today and get back with you. Thanks for your patience !! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 26, 2014, 11:14 AM   #8
dr1445

i got it shooting ok with the bottom end tasco scope, once i found the right pair of reading glasses to use with it. take your time enjoy the season, thanks for your efforts.
Old December 26, 2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Pahoo

Dementions

dr1445
Sorry about that and here is what I'm seeing. Again, the TC-BD has fiber optics sight. .....

.465; From the arch of the sight, to the top of the holder.
.450; From the arch of the sight, to the top of the fiber optic insert.
.435; From the arch of the sight, to the center of the fiber optic insert.

Let me know if I can be of any additional help. Also, could you send me the link on the Williams sight?

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 26, 2014, 03:17 PM   #10
dr1445

here you go.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/wgrs.htm
thanks for your time.
Old December 27, 2014, 05:54 AM   #11
dr1445

it looks like finding a front sight might be a headache. it seems the williams and marbles sights are for a #6 screw and the bd takes a #8 screw. sure i could drill it out, but a counter bore for the larger the screw head costs more than the sight. maybe i could square off a drill tip after i start the hole to bottom the screw head? rmc sports [cox’s gun shop] seems to have a front sight made for the bd, anyone deal with them? i sent them an email to see if their sight is for the #8 screw.
Old December 27, 2014, 11:23 AM   #12
Pahoo

Options !!!

Quote:
williams and marbles sights are for a #6 screw and the bd takes a #8 screw.
Hmm, well you might have more options than you think, for your fronts sight...
1) This sight is common to many of TC's MMLs and still available. Why not contact TC and see if they can help.
2) These sight sets come up quite often, on Ebay.
3) Contact the Contender Connection at (641) 424-2130, (641) 998-2555. I know that about a year ago, they had these on hand.
4) As stated, drill out the mounting hole and dress it out. Not the first time this has been done !!!

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 30, 2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Pahoo

Check out E-Bay

dr1445
This just came up on E-bay. Just might want to get in the game. You already have an idea of what these are going for. ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thompson-Cen...item5b0a592736

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 30, 2014, 01:54 PM   #14
dr1445

i already placed an order with rmc for a front sight and brownells for the williams peep. i just might pick up the ebay one as a spare. thanks for the heads up.