The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2000, 10:56 PM   #1
Josh

I want to start long range shooting (200-800 yards) and have questions about which scope I should buy from those who are involved in it.
I have narrowed my choice to either the Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40mm or the Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm,Long Range M1.

Questions:
1. Does the 30mm main tube on the M1 version leave more light in then the 1 inch tube and if so does this make for a better view?
2. Does the 30mm tube have more strength then the 1 inch tube?
3.Which one would you choose and why?

Old January 8, 2000, 11:52 PM   #2
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Answers:
1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - Unknown. I don't do variables as I find a fixed power can be found that does the job nicely with less internal things prone to break. I will say that I do have a fix 10x (Leupold Mark 4) on my "precision rifle" and I haven't wished for higher magnification at long ranges yet... also I'm sure for shorter ranges =<200 a 14 x may give you an unacceptable field of view.

Just my opinions.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited January 08, 2000).]
Old January 8, 2000, 11:59 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Seems to me the bigger the tube, the more light can get transmitted through the internal lenses. Of course, the size of the objective lens is probably more important.

Lessee. 1 mm = 0.03937 inches, right? Or, more usefully, 0.040 inches. So 30mm = 1.2 inches, right?

Would you agree that the greater the diameter of a tube, the stronger it is against bending?

I haven't used the "Long Range M1" scope, but I know that 400 yards the 4.5x14 works well. From what I read, many long range shooters use even higher magnification.

As with any high-power scope, heat shimmer during the middle of the day can create problems...

FWIW, Art