from google:

4G Tactical
Applied Tactical Concepts
Global Tac Training Group
Brumal Tactical
Rogers Shooting School-Reactive shooting
Old February 17, 2015, 09:31 PM   #27
coyotewsm

FireForged thanks for that started looking those up and the third one global TAC training group is led than 40 miles from where I live so I'm going check it out.
Old February 17, 2015, 09:39 PM   #28
hartcreek

Fireforged....So what is your plan....to let him come back with one or two of his buddies?
Old February 17, 2015, 09:40 PM   #29
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by FITASC:
Quote:
If I have to worry about all that, I am moving - that is NOT the way to live your life - paranoid and worrying about every shadow in the parking lot. Being aware is one thing, going to this extreme is another......
Where would you move? Do you not realize that criminal predators are mobile?

Do you really think that concentrating on smart-phones, gas pumps, or ATMs in public, or listening to music; walking close to cars, corners, alley openings, dumpsters, etc.; taking a long time to put things into or get into your car; and so in, on a manner that makes you vulnerable to violent criminal actor, is somehow a prudent way to live your life?

Would you really rather expose yourself to the risk of having to draw, and perhaps use. a firearm timely, in the gravest extreme?

Not I, thank you.
Old February 17, 2015, 10:17 PM   #30
coyotewsm

I think I opened a can of worms with this discussion.
Old February 18, 2015, 01:14 PM   #31
coyotewsm

Another question I've been wanting to ask that I feel is related. I have heard a lot of people say they do this never heard anyone say they don't. Does everyone carry and extra mag with them?
Old February 18, 2015, 01:25 PM   #32
FireForged

I am probably in the minority but I do not carry any extra ammo. If I am carrying a revolver I have got 5 shots and if I am carrying a pistol I will have anywhere between 7-13 ( typically), thats it. I concede that is probably a very marginal attitude but never the less, I can and do accept it. If I carried a firearm occupationally and had a duty to protect others, I would certainly carry extra ammo and probably a backup gun as well, but that is not my situation. I will say that carrying extra ammo is not a bad thing. Its just that carrying a firearm already stretches the limits of what I consider a acceptable inconvenience.
Old February 18, 2015, 01:32 PM   #33
zombietactics

I carry at least one reload, and more as clothing/circumstances allow.

I don't expect to ever have need of one, but it's a trivial adjustment to hedge against unlikely circumstances. If the "cost" (in terms of hassle) were higher, I'd likely not carry a spare.

Sometimes it's an extra gun instead of (or in addition to) my primary. This is pretty typical for the "I have to be on the street in a big city" situation.

There are very rare circumstances where I'd have only an LCP with 7+1 in the gun, and nothing else.
Old February 18, 2015, 01:53 PM   #34
coyotewsm

I was just xurious. I havent got my permit yet so I havent been out in public but I kinda feel like carrying around the gun is going to be enough extra weight as it is. My firearm capicity gives me 15+1 so I feel that ought to would be enough.
Old February 18, 2015, 04:35 PM   #35
FireForged

Quote:
I kinda feel like carrying around the gun is going to be enough extra weight as it is. My firearm capicity gives me 15+1 so I feel that ought to would be enough.
I dont disagree and basically feel the same as you do about that. This is probably a good example of me not setting the best example LOL. If someone were to ask me if they should carry a extra mag or speed loader, I would probably tell them that they should. I dont but thats just me.
Old February 18, 2015, 04:57 PM   #36
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
My firearm capicity gives me 15+1 so I feel that ought to would be enough.
The advantage of an extra mag would be the ability to clear a malfunction quickly.

A second gun is quicker for most people who do not practice reloading.
Old February 18, 2015, 05:43 PM   #37
FITASC

Quote:
Where would you move? Do you not realize that criminal predators are mobile?

Do you really think that concentrating on smart-phones, gas pumps, or ATMs in public, or listening to music; walking close to cars, corners, alley openings, dumpsters, etc.; taking a long time to put things into or get into your car; and so in, on a manner that makes you vulnerable to violent criminal actor, is somehow a prudent way to live your life?

Would you really rather expose yourself to the risk of having to draw, and perhaps use. a firearm timely, in the gravest extreme?

Not I, thank you.
I don't use ATMs or concentrate on my smart phone, or hang around alleys or dunpsters - I guess I just live a normal life in a normal area . As I said, bring aware is one thing, not hitting the C-store at 3AM, etc. Sorry where you live seems to suck that bad.

I would move to an area where I wouldn't need to be so paranoid; and there are thousands of those locales.
Old February 18, 2015, 05:59 PM   #38
FireForged

Defensive driving is considered "responsible" but apply the same logic to navigating public spaces on foot and its "paranoid".

Some would say that Defensive driving may be things like:

focus, keep eyes moving, alertness, avoiding hazards, maintaining visibility, avoidance techniques, adapt to your environment, 2 second rule, routine scan and check in all directions. Is this paranoid?
Old February 18, 2015, 06:12 PM   #39
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by FITASC:
Quote:
I don't use ATMs....
Good.
Quote:
... or concentrate on my smart phone,...
Good.

Quote:
or hang around alleys or dunpsters -
Neither do most people, but "hang around" is not the operative term.

Most people do, however, walk to and from their automobiles and to and from restaurants, stores, and so on.

That can take them past openings of alleys, corners of buildings, dumpsters, vans, and any number of other locations that can afford an attacker and his associates with opportunities for ambush.

When it happens, with surprise and with explosive violence, the effectiveness of "skills/things...for preparing to defend yourself" will be markedly reduced. The defender needs warning, time, and distance.

Quote:
I guess I just live a normal life in a normal area.
Whatever you think that means...

Quote:
As I said, bring aware is one thing, not hitting the C-store at 3AM, etc.
Good thinking!

Quote:
Sorry where you live seems to suck that bad.
It does not.

Quote:
I would move to an area where I wouldn't need to be so paranoid;
Are you qualified to diagnose paranoia? I am speaking of prudence.

Think about it: do you really believe that a couple of criminals who are looking for someone to rob, or to car-jack, or to car-jack and kidnap and take someone to an ATM for money, would be inclined to hunt in bad neighborhoods, or do you think they would be more likely to try their luck in more prosperous areas?

Quote:
...and there are thousands of those locales.
Are you thinking of gated communities, and of staying inside them all the time?
Old February 18, 2015, 07:45 PM   #40
zombietactics

Quote:
... Sorry where you live seems to suck that bad.

I would move to an area where I wouldn't need to be so paranoid; and there are thousands of those locales. ...
I live in one of the statistically safest towns in the U.S. It'd nickname is "the bubble", because it has a reputation of nothing bad ever happening.

There is still violent crime here. There is violent crime everywhere. Some of the most heinous murders have occurred in places where "stuff like that doesn't happen here". You don't get to choose whether or not you'll be the object of some criminal's interest. Behaving in a sensible fashion to reduce the likelihood isn't dependent upon location.

If someone thinks differently, they are engaging in pure fantasy.

Last edited by zombietactics; February 18, 2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old February 18, 2015, 08:28 PM   #41
FITASC

Quote:
Are you thinking of gated communities, and of staying inside them all the time?
Absolutely not. I drive hundreds of miles a week just to go shoot, let alone all of the normal things one does in life. Guess my city must be something because while there is ALWAYS crime, the stuff you guys either experience or think about just do not occur where I live. Here we worry more about some 85 year old driving................
Old February 18, 2015, 09:06 PM   #42
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by zombietactics:
Quote:
There is violent crime everywhere. Some of the most heinous murders have occurred in places where "stuff like that doesn't happen here". You don't get to choose whether or not you'll be the object of some criminal's interest. Behaving in a sensible fashion to reduce the likelihood isn't dependent upon location.
Those are facts.

Quote:
If someone thinks differently, they are engaging in pure fantasy.
And/or a very high degree of naiveté....

The likelihood of being a victim of violent crime, at least in any given time period, is remote. The problem is the severity of the potential consequences.

In any event, carrying a gun is not and cannot be the most effective means of preventing death, injury, or kidnapping. One must start with avoidance, and take steps to put one into a position to be able to defend oneself effectively.

Posted by FITASC:
Quote:
...the he stuff you guys either experience or think about just do not occur where I live.
"Stuff like that doesn't happen here"?
Old February 18, 2015, 09:45 PM   #43
FITASC

Try reading the entire post I posted.................

Argue all you want. SOME folks feel the need to carry a gun to their bathroom; I don't. Some folks feel the need to carry 2-3 guns and reloads, plus a knife, flashlight, pepper spray and also have a shotgun in their vehicle just to go out of the driveway; I don't. If where you live is truly that horrible, then you need to ask yourself why are you still living and going through those areas.

Have fun, I'm done with this one
Old February 18, 2015, 10:03 PM   #44
Frank Ettin
Staff

This seems to have run its course.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread