The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 20, 2019, 09:17 PM   #1
WheelGunRealGun

I Scratched Chrome Lining: Will there be Problems?

I was a doofus and went at some carbon buildup (or what I thought was carbon buildup) in my AR15's chamber with a steel dental pick. The picture is poor, but I've circled the two small scratches that've resulted. I've learned my lesson obviously, but now I'm wondering if this is going to cause reliability problems down the road. This is a Colt LE6920. It sees a lot of rounds through it. Will gunk build up there and induce malfunctions, or something to that effect? Am I worrying over nothing? This is a home defense carbine so I'm concerned about there being problems even if it's thousands of rounds down the road.

https://imgur.com/8qT6UBE
Old January 20, 2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Shouldn't be a problem. Shoot it and see.
Old January 20, 2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Nathan

Yea, you had better send it to me along with 5000 rounds of AmmoTracker to check it out.
Old January 20, 2019, 09:34 PM   #4
WheelGunRealGun

Quote:
Shouldn't be a problem. Shoot it and see.
It could take thousands of rounds to find out, and even then I might be wondering if the next one will be the one that issues start with. Is there some way to find out without having to burn a crap ton of ammo?
Old January 20, 2019, 09:45 PM   #5
Nathan

What problem do you think it will cause?
Old January 20, 2019, 10:21 PM   #6
dahermit

I am surprised that you could scratch it with a pick. Hard Chrome plating is between 66 and 70 on the Rockwell C scale...a file is 67 on the same scale by comparison. Certainly a dental pick is not harder than a file. But then, your photo does show what appears to be the scratches you describe.
Old January 20, 2019, 10:23 PM   #7
osbornk

I think you're worrying over nothing. I don't think there is any way it will make any difference.
Old January 20, 2019, 11:10 PM   #8
2damnold4this

The part you scratched doesn't come in contact with the cartridge case and the locking lugs don't wear against that part under pressure, so i don't think it will make any difference.

But given the fact that you worried over a little carbon enough to take a steal pick to the chamber, you'll probably worry over the scratch and should buy a new barrel, upper assembly or rifle if that will make you comfortable.
Old January 21, 2019, 02:14 AM   #9
WheelGunRealGun

Quote:
What problem do you think it will cause?
Possibly carbon buildup right there which would grow large enough to cause malfunctions? I'm not sure, to be honest, but something to that effect.

Quote:
I am surprised that you could scratch it with a pick. Hard Chrome plating is between 66 and 70 on the Rockwell C scale...a file is 67 on the same scale by comparison. Certainly a dental pick is not harder than a file. But then, your photo does show what appears to be the scratches you describe.
I didn't even think I went that hard on it. I was trying to be gentle precisely because I didn't want to scratch it. But yeah, the photo speaks for itself.

Quote:
But given the fact that you worried over a little carbon enough to take a steal pick to the chamber, you'll probably worry over the scratch and should buy a new barrel, upper assembly or rifle if that will make you comfortable.
Well now I realize not to care about such minor carbon buildup and that it's a nonissue. I only wish I realized that before I scratched it.
Old January 21, 2019, 06:20 AM   #10
mete

A bit of dirt with sand will scratch and wear even carbide dies !
Old January 21, 2019, 07:09 AM   #11
HiBC

As has been pointed out,the scratches are in a place where they cause no functional harm.

Cheap lesson! Some ammo is a lot dirtier than others.The "bargain" import ammo can be filthy.

There are pretty effective bore cleaners these days. Bore Tech Eliminator,Wipe Out,and Patch out are worth trying,but don't mix solvents.Some combinations hurt your rifle. There is a GI chamber brush with a larger diameter of bristles to clean where you were cleaning.

A chunk of bamboo skewer can be used on stubborn places
Old January 21, 2019, 07:13 AM   #12
Mobuck

"The part you scratched doesn't come in contact with the cartridge case and the locking lugs don't wear against that part under pressure, so i don't think it will make any difference. "

^^^^^THIS^^^
and stop gouging around inside your rifle with steel tools.
Old January 21, 2019, 10:21 AM   #13
Jim Watson

I wonder if they are real scratches or marks from the tip of the steel pick rubbed off on the hard chrome.
Old January 21, 2019, 02:38 PM   #14
WheelGunRealGun

Quote:
I wonder if they are real scratches or marks from the tip of the steel pick rubbed off on the hard chrome.
I can't say for sure, but when I shine a light on it, it appears that there may be very small, almost imperceptible little "mounds" (don't know what else to call it) of metal at the end of the scratch. Again, it's so small I can't even get it to show in a picture, but if it is bunched up metal, I wonder if it's the steel or the chrome.
Old January 21, 2019, 04:49 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

Some Wipeout foaming bore cleaner, an AR15 chamber brush, and a chamber mop will make cleaning that area a lot easier if carbon worries you; but carbon tends to be self-limiting even if you let it get all crusty and diamond like.

If you keep the bolt carrier group wet with CLP, it will just wipe off too.
Old January 21, 2019, 06:44 PM   #16
MoMan

No harm, no foul!! Shoot that sucker and forget about your "oopsie"! Chalk it up to "lessons learned"!!

Member: NRA/Kentucky Regulators Gun Club/LaSalle Sportsmen's Club
Old January 21, 2019, 08:39 PM   #17
Django11

You could contact Colt and see if a replacement is covered by warranty if you're worried about it; it's not like you'd be out of anything for checking.
Old January 22, 2019, 02:59 PM   #18
RC20

Mr Colt: I scratched my chamber and wonder if you will warranty it?

Say what? Your kidding me right?
Old January 22, 2019, 09:09 PM   #19
Django11

Well as friend of mine accidently threw his Vortex rangefinder in a burn pile. Saw it hours later after it was toast, sent it in- no questions asked warranty-new rangefinder. So no, I'm not kidding. I don't know what they would say, but nobody would be out of a damn thing for checking into it, would they?
Old January 22, 2019, 09:49 PM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If you read how original M-16 rifles were treated in battle field conditions and yet surely fired. I highly doubt a civilian version (AR) would see that same abuse and fail reliably because of a single chamber scratch.
About the only disappointment you may see is a mirrored chamber scratch on all yellow brass from now on.