The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Prof Young

Deer Give Away Program in IL

Anyone know about donating deer for the hungry in IL? I've been looking on line. Have discovered Sportsmen Against Hunger. I understand the requirements etc. but can't find actual info about where to donate. Apparently there are some processors who take the donated deer, but the link to that list goes no where.
Help!
Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 24, 2020, 10:51 PM   #2
Prof Young

Found the info . . .

Well, as with most of life, it helps to ask questions.
I called the place that I usually take my deer for processing (Grantforks Meat in Grandfork IL) and discovered that they participate in a deer donation program. One shoots the deer, field dresses it and then takes it to Grandfork Meat. Tell them you have a whole deer for donation and . . . that's it. Gotta love it. I have three more tags I can fill this season (archery for doe, one gun tag for either sex and one muzzle loader tag for either) and I hope to fill them all.
Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 25, 2020, 02:58 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

I found the same when looking into some of these programs, in multiple states, a few years ago - that most of them have stagnated to the point that you can't find the contacts you need and the websites are mostly broken.
(I was considering some hunts where hauling all of the meat home could have been problematic; and off-loading some portion for a good cause seemed like a good option.)

But calling actual processors usually results in a solid answer, one way or another.

"Yep, we do that. So does Bob, over at Mega Meat."

Or, "Sorry. Due to [insert bureaucratic BS or poor handling by the food bank], everyone had to stop doing that."

Or, "Because of [insert bureaucratic BS], we have to return the meat to you, and you have to find a way to donate it. But if you want to do that and have the recipient organization call to verify first, we only charge $30." (I think this was western Nebraska.)
Old November 25, 2020, 11:46 PM   #4
Pathfinder45

I think it's great to share the meat of your hunt with those in need.... What I don't quite grasp is someone that doesn't like or want the meat, but they are compelled to go kill it anyway.... So I've got to imagine some farmer that is over-run with deer that are devouring his crops, his freezer is already full of venison, and he's having difficulty killing enough deer to save his crops, but if he can just get somebody to take the carcasses, he can make the time to kill more deer.... I dunno, but it happened to me with rabbits in Eastern Kansas once, so I guess it could happen with real venison... Thank god an itinerant band of Coyotes showed up to save the Cantaloupe crop...I simply could not kill enough of them to make a difference, but when all seemed hopeless, the Song-dogs solved the problem in one week. Since then, they have been the good guys for me. Now if they were killing my chickens, it would be a whole different story..