The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 29, 2020, 10:26 AM   #26
Head Tomcat

Great Call With Mike!

Guys,

After the never-ending frustration of getting my Uberti Colt 1851 Navy to properly time with the Kirst gated converter...I have realized it is currently beyond me. So - I had a wonderful 20-minute discussion with Mike about it...and the end result is I shipped it out yesterday for him to work his magic.

What led to this was the .020" cylinder endshake of the Kirst assembly and the pistol operating only if it was pointed level or down. Pointing it up even a moderate amount would cause the assembly to slide down to the recoil shield and the hand would now be too long and lock up...before the bolt could drop. I have never worked on a pistol that functioned depending on which way it was pointed - and this was beyond my skill level to fix.

So...off to Goon it went and I asked him to make it perfect as a dedicated black powder cartridge conversion.

Also, I signed into Instagram and went to Goon's page only to be amazed at what all he has worked on. Just looking at the pictures and reading the comments was an education in itself!

Now, to figure out what "perfect" timing is for a Uberti 1858 Remington (as there is no approach milled into the cylinder) since that is something I more than likely can deal with.

Goon.....you really impressed me with your knowledge!

Head Tomcat (who knows when to call it quits and get an expert on the case)
Old January 29, 2020, 01:58 PM   #27
Hawg

Quote:
Now, to figure out what "perfect" timing is for a Uberti 1858 Remington (as there is no approach milled into the cylinder) since that is something I more than likely can deal with.
Absolutely positively perfect would have the hammer going to full cock and the bolt dropping into the notch at exactly the same time which is doable. Once parts start to wear it won't take much for the bolt to start dropping on the edge of the notch and peening it. IMO it's best to time it to drop at least one full bolt width before the notch.
Old January 29, 2020, 10:34 PM   #28
45 Dragoon

Wow HT!! What a great write up!! And, thanks so much!! I'll tame that animal!!! Lol

Hawg has it right, bolt drop about a width before the notch. Definitely not on the notch (it'll peen the material).

Mike
Old January 29, 2020, 10:35 PM   #29
woodnbow

I’m with Hawg on this. Also once you have the bolt dropping on the approach, if you have a drill press and a good vice, you could easily mill the approaches into the cylinder. Just a thought.