The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 9, 2019, 08:46 PM   #1
taylorce1

How much shoulder do I need?

Looking at getting a suppressor and just wondering how much shoulder do I need for a direct thread suppressor with 5/8X24 threads. I have a couple rifles already threaded as such, and have a couple others that I want to thread. Both barrels are .660" at the muzzle so I'll roughly have .0175 of shoulder for the suppressor to thread against. Is this enough?
Old January 9, 2019, 10:12 PM   #2
Mobuck

.0175 of shoulder for the suppressor to thread against. Is this enough?

NO.
You don't mention caliber but ASSuming more than .224. I think the machinist who threaded my barrels wanted to see .650-.680 for a 1/2x28.
If you wish to maintain this barrel length, have the muzzle threaded 1/2x28 and silver solder a 5/8x24 adaptor with an increased diameter base in place.
Old January 9, 2019, 11:56 PM   #3
Theohazard

Here are the SilencerCo recommended thread specs for centerfire rifle threads:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silence...read_specs.PDF
Old January 9, 2019, 11:57 PM   #4
taylorce1

6mm barrels 6x45 and 6X47 Rem. That answers my question, I just will not go with a direct thread suppressor.
Old January 10, 2019, 07:44 AM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
I just will not go with a direct thread suppressor.
A few silencer quick-attach muzzle devices are designed to shoulder on the muzzle, but most shoulder up against the regular thread shoulder. So you're probably going to run into the same problem with a quick-attach silencer as you would a direct-thread: They're both using your barrel's shoulder in the same way.

I know that some gunsmiths would fix your problem by machining a collar that gives the barrel a proper-diameter shoulder, but I guess that all depends on the gunsmith and also whether they charge too much to be worth it. Sometimes in these types of cases it just makes more sense to sell the whole firearm (or just the barrel if practical) and buy a new one that's better for use with a silencer.

You might try posting in the gunsmithing subforum, since this is more of a gunsmithing question than a silencer question, and I'm not a gunsmith.
Old January 10, 2019, 11:23 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

The thread specs above are a decent reference.
But, as a general rule: You want at least 0.100" over thread diameter for the shoulder.
Old January 10, 2019, 02:17 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
A few silencer quick-attach muzzle devices are designed to shoulder on the muzzle, but most shoulder up against the regular thread shoulder. So you're probably going to run into the same problem with a quick-attach silencer as you would a direct-thread:
Not if I thread 1/2X28 or 9/16X24 on my smaller diameter barrels and run a quick attach device. I was hoping to save money and weight by not having to buy the quick attach muzzle device for all the rifles I want to thread. Either way I go quick attach or direct thread it's going to cost more than just threading my barrels and that's what I needed to know.

I've got to get Household Six on board, and so far she likes the idea of the suppressor after shooting a friends AR15 with one attached. I'm planning on buying two to start one centerfire and to fire. I'm planning on the YHM Resonator for my multi caliber centerfire suppressor and I'm thinking the SC Switchback for my rimfire rifles and pistols. The YHM is a little heavier than I wanted but it seems to do well as a multi caliber suppressor, and I like the modular design of the Switchback especially for use with pistols.
Old January 10, 2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Not if I thread 1/2X28 or 9/16X24 on my smaller diameter barrels and run a quick attach device.
Good point, I didn’t think about that. But it still might not work depending on the size of bullet the muzzle device is designed for. For example, I’d worry about sending a bullet much larger than a 5.56 down a 1/2x28 muzzle brake designed for 5.56. Sure, you’d probably be fine with a 6mm, but you still might want to check first. I know some companies have made muzzle devices designed for .308 in a 1/2x28 thread pitch (I think AAC did, at least) but that specific issue is something I haven’t looked into for a while.
Old January 10, 2019, 04:12 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Either way I go quick attach or direct thread it's going to cost more than just threading my barrels and that's what I needed to know.
When I purchased my first pair of suppressors, I had only one threaded barrel suitable for suppressor use*. ...And it was too short for the cans that I bought.

Just to use the suppressors, I had to thread a "starter pack" of six barrels/rifles. (I pulled some barrels, dropped others off as complete rifles.)

Muzzle diameter and caliber were such with two of them that I had to make the painful call to chop the barrels. It was the most difficult decision with my go-to .270, but proved to be just fine. Even with 4" of barrel missing, I lost less than 40 fps.

*I had several threaded barrels on hand, but didn't want to use them. I also assembled another threaded barrel AR upper during the long wait. But it wasn't in the picture at the time the money changed hands.
Old January 24, 2019, 07:45 PM   #10
taylorce1

Well I just put an Omega and Sparrow in jail today. Got a Good enough deal on them, that made me choose them over the Resonator and Switchback.
Old May 1, 2019, 08:48 PM   #11
taylorce1

Sparrow check cashed 30 April, Omega check cashed 1 May.
Old May 1, 2019, 09:56 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Progress.
Old May 2, 2019, 08:50 PM   #13
taylorce1

I hope so!
Old May 2, 2019, 09:04 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Indeed. I hope it moves smoothly and quickly for you.

My next one is still stuck on the Form 3. "Awaiting ATF response..."