The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 31, 2001, 04:57 AM   #1
yankytrash

Need to identify Ruger "Mk"-style pistol

I have a friend that wants me to sell his Ruger target pistol for him. I have only seen it briefly, before he said he wanted to sell it. I was hoping you could ID the model for me.

I know, for a fact, that it is of the 22cal "Mk"-style variety. It has no model name on it that I could find. It's got the standard, tapered-looking, 5 1/2"-6" barrel. The front sight does not have the ring around the barrel, like I've seen on some models. I wish now that I had looked at the serial number prefix.

It looks like a Mk I, but I want to be sure. Is there any way of distinguishing the Mk I from other models? If it's not a Mk I, how can I tell what other model it could be?

I will be receiving the gun this weekend. If I get no response from this thread by then, I'll scan the pistol then and post it here.

I will probably end up buying it from him, rather than sell it. I had a Ruger Mk IV that I gave to a family friend that helped me out greatly with an inheritance fiasco. I think this would be a fine replacement for that ol' Mk IV.
Old August 31, 2001, 06:27 AM   #2
Steven Mace

Yankytrash, maybe this will help?

Ruger MkI

Ruger MkII

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 31, 2001, 06:36 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Ruger

The Mark I is basically the same as the standard model, with the exception of the heavy barrel and the target sights. The standard model ruger reswmbles the German 08 in outline and balance, however but that is the only similarity.

Originally there were about 2,500 mfg'd before any changes were made. Somewhaere between guns number 2,500 and 2,800 the bolt and firing pin werre changed to facilitate production. this change did away with the hand fitting that was required in theearly guns. In 1950 after the standard model had made it's mark Ruger introduced the MKI.

I have attached a photo of the Stnd Ruger. Is this what the gun looks like? If so I can send you the assem/disassem w/photos of it if you like.

HJN
Old August 31, 2001, 02:36 PM   #4
yankytrash

I haven't gotten the pistol yet, but Harley's picture looks like the one.

Or, in Steve's pictures, if you could take the upper pistol receiver and put the grips from the lower picture on it, that is it.

From what I see here, my memory must've been mistaken on the front sight detail.

If it ends up being a 'Standard', how much would it be worth? Let's assume that it isn't one of those forst 2500 or so that Harley mentioned - I'm not that lucky.
Old September 1, 2001, 10:29 AM   #5
johnwill

If it's the original standard model, and has the red eagle grips, it's more valuable than the ones after Sturm's death when they went to the black eagles.
Old September 1, 2001, 08:36 PM   #6
yankytrash

Here's the gun. Sorry the pictures are so big. The emblem didn't scan well, but it's silver with black background.

Old September 1, 2001, 09:19 PM   #7
Steven Mace

Yankytrash, your picture is of a Ruger Mk I Standard Model. The serial number would indicate it was made in 1975. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old September 1, 2001, 09:55 PM   #8
yankytrash

In the blue book, here are the characteristics I am given the following choices and characteristics:

STANDARD MODEL - .22 LR cal., 9 shot, 4¾ in. or 6 in. barrel, blue, fixed sights, checkered wood
or rubber grips. Mfg. 1951-1982.

MARK I TARGET - similar to Standard, except has 5½ in. heavy barrel, 5¼ tapered (scarce) barrel, or
6 7/8 heavy tapered barrel, adj. rear sights, target sight. Mfg. 1951-1982.

The characteristics of mine are 6" tapered barrel. So, would the correct model for this gun be called a "Standard", or "Mk 1 Target", or "Mk1 Standard"? I just want to be sure.

BTW - Just talked to the original owner. She said she got it between 72 and 75, so I think you're right.
Old September 5, 2001, 10:38 AM   #9
BADSBSNF81

You have a Standard Automatic with A-100 Grip Frame. Your Sn falls in the range of 11-42519 - 13-31559 which indicates it was made from @ March or April 72 to Sept 75.