The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 29, 2009, 12:22 PM   #26
Wagonman

Like some wise poster said if I am wearing pants I am carrying. In the summer, hell most of the I carry in a fanny pack because I just don't care about fashion and I put my SA above any BGs.

Although, I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual.
Old March 29, 2009, 12:23 PM   #27
riddleofsteel

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were "just going down to the corner."

Jack Handey

LOL
Old March 29, 2009, 12:24 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

I am sure he does if it is a Rohrbaugh .380

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=125367353

Quote:
If you have the option to conceal carry, there is the option (in most states) to open carry. For those in the hot weather, let the scum know to let this one go.
It might be an option in some, but not most.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback to all but I was hoping for some specific info.
Sorry, I didn't provide you the easy answer you wanted. I figure that is pretty much a personal decision and that you would be better served by getting a variety of opinions already expressed on this forum. I know searching, reading, and evaluating for yourself can be hard work.
Old March 29, 2009, 01:00 PM   #29
Glockeroo

I learned this hard lesson myself one day. I had an encounter with a male who was going to rob me, but I gave the impression I had a weapon on me. When he saw me in a defensive mode, he quickly changed his approach and then asked me for directions. Little did he know there was a sign right above us with the correct directions. I had decided to leave my weapon home that day because I was going on a route where I didn't think I needed it. I will never do that again.

Or another general rule of thumb - "Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it."
Old March 29, 2009, 03:00 PM   #30
BlueTrain

I live in Fairfax County, too, but I have no carry license. But it is also forbidden to have a firearm (the rule might say "weapon") at work, so given that I hardly go anywhere else, I really don't feel the need anyway. This is not to say I don't see the utility of having a gun sometimes and I do have a dozen or so, just like everyone else here, apparently. But we all draw on our own experiences and no one elses. Then, too, we generally have some control over what experiences we have to begin with. By the way, there was a murder here in the county a few years ago with a single shot pistol. That has to be remarkable.

Although I mentioned the no weapons at work thing, we do have two employees who have mounted animal heads on their walls and two people who used to work for the NRA, which is just up the road from where we work. Mind you, these people are hunting enthusiasts, not gun enthusiasts. One even managed to bag a deer from the loading dock. My boss, on the other hand, neither a hunting enthusiast nor a gun enthusiast (even though he grew up in Northern Rhodesia) has bagged three or four deer with his car. Not bad!
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:24 PM   #31
Dwight55

davem, . . . just a suggestion, . . . born out of my personal decision to carry something other than a mouse gun, . . . how about a pair of cargo shorts?

Cut the back out of the pocket on the leg you need, . . . put a thigh holster on under the cargo shorts, . . . access it through the top of the pocket, . . . you can carry a Desert Eagle there and few folks would ever know.

I am aware that I don't have your problem, . . . but when it gets hot here in Ohio, . . . I still wear my jeans and carry my full size, all steel, 1911, . . . and sometimes it is in my tuckable IWB that allows me to carry it that way. For me it is just two concepts: 1) the decision to carry the 1911, and 2) the mindset that helps me dress around my decision.

May God bless,
Dwight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121408 cactus.jpg (60.8 KB, 118 views)
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 29, 2009, 03:40 PM   #32
skydiver3346

Rohrbaugh .380

Yep, its the best little carry gun for your front or back pocket you can find nowadays in my opinion. Lightweight, accurate and ready to use in a moment's notice. Works great in sunny, hot weather situations (shorts).
Old March 29, 2009, 05:59 PM   #33
KC Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoolsmyd2
Damn Buzz, I didn't know that guy was a CHP holder!!
That is how they ID'ed him, his fingerprints from his CCW license application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
I live in Fairfax County, too, but I have no carry license...I really don't feel the need anyway.
I'm pretty sure the guy who was killed didn't feel the need either. I'm not giving you a hard time, you are a better judge of your safety than anyone else but I can assure you that having a guy beat to death by a gang of miscreants in front of a $750k house 2 blocks from where I lay my head can really adjust my idea of my personal safety and "safe neighborhoods".

Last edited by KC Rob; March 29, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old March 29, 2009, 06:30 PM   #34
mrt949

ROHRBAUGH is chambered in 9mm and 380 acp. They had them at the shot show in orlando .A verry well made firearm first class.
Old March 29, 2009, 06:37 PM   #35
jughead2

carry 24/7

i had the sad experience of my moms funeral this week. i always carry in a shoulder holster. a friend told a friend i cant believe he doesnt have that weapon. i knew the hugs would be frequent. needless to say i was carrying and this close friend didnt know it. 24/7 always. arms reach as i type this. take NO chances
Old March 29, 2009, 06:42 PM   #36
TridentOne

Quote:
Cut the back out of the pocket on the leg you need, . . . put a thigh holster on under the cargo shorts, . . . access it through the top of the pocket, . . . you can carry a Desert Eagle there and few folks would ever know.
Umm, how is this the first I have ever heard of this great idea?
Old March 29, 2009, 07:17 PM   #37
jpoolsmyd2

Quote:
One even managed to bag a deer from the loading dock.
I'm pretty familiar with the part of Fairfax off Waples Mill where NRA HQ is. As far as I know there aren't too many places to shoot deer in that area. It's all residential, no?

Anyway, to the OP, makes sense that they ID'ed the guy based on his fingerprints from CHP. Although in FFX county no fingerprints required.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:01 PM   #38
TridentOne

In researching thigh holsters this is from the Galco website.

"How do I draw my firearm?
If you are wearing long pants the firearm may be drawn through the fly zipper. Shorts, skirts and dresses can simply be lifted to draw the firearm."

Unzip my fly to draw? Is that legal in IDPA?
Old March 29, 2009, 08:11 PM   #39
Only S&W and Me

Try SmartCarry....just got mine...just working with in the bathroom mirror recently to get the right pant/short to wear with. It actually is pretty comfotable being right over the groin area.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:13 PM   #40
LoneWolf22056

lifting a skirt to draw...

i wish some of the girls i know would start carrying.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:20 PM   #41
OLNfan

holy if I had the chance to conceal carry I would never leave the house with it!! To bad Canada doesnt allow us to.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old March 29, 2009, 09:15 PM   #42
cavymeister

Davem,

You should look in to crossbreed, or kholster. They are tuckable IWB holsters. That should solve most of your issues. I typically carry a 2" J frame in my pocket. It's light, less obtrusive than my wallet, and I can wear it with almost anything I typically wear.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:51 PM   #43
davem

Well thanks to all for the help. I noticed no one used an ankle holster. I think I'll work out some sort on an inside the waist band deal were maybe I can slit the side on my shirt for the clip and then tuck in the shirt. In any event it's interesting to see that others have the same issue.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:17 AM   #44
BlueTrain

First, to jpoolsmyd2, I actually work in Chantilly, which might be a stretch, honestly, to say the NRA is just up the road from here, and it's more like six or eight miles. The NRA building is actually right beside I-66 and it isn't entirely residential. The area where I've worked for nearly 10 years is on out route 50 right beside route 28. There are woods between this building and a residential development to the east. There is a lot of building going on just south of this building but I suspect it's on hold for the moment. Anyway, the deer was taken with a bow and he's taken deer, also with a bow, within sight of the beltway. Or so he says. I live much closer in myself and I frequently see deer around the house. In fact, I've seen more wild animals around the house than I have anywhere in West Virginia, where I'm from.

Second, to Buzz Kill, I try not to float around totally unaware of my surroundings. I avoid gangs of miscreants and so far, knock on wood, I have. I also do not live in a neighborhood of $750M houses, either. I don't go to bars, I don't go out at night, I lock the doors and I don't mess with other men's wives. I am reminded here of when some magazine writer tried to get Jeff Cooper to give his preference of a concealed weapon for when he went in places that might be dangerous. His answer: "I don't go in places like that!"

But don't get me wrong. I see no reason not to go armed if you feel the need, and apparently there are many here who would irregardless of the legality of the matter. My father used to carry a pistol before the war, though I have no idea how it was carried, but he thought it was worthwhile. He had no firearm when I was little but we lived in town. When we moved to the country in 1963, he eventually got one. An H&R eight-shot .22 revolver.

I have known about six or seven people who were killed with firearms, all in West Virginia.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:32 AM   #45
KC Rob

BlueTrain, I have hunted in Chantilly with a bow before as well. Right off of Rte. 28 across from the airport at Franklin Farm Road there is a huge undeveloped plot of land that I was given permission to hunt. It was weird hunting right along side the highway and with planes flying overhead but it was full of deer. I stopped hunting there because migrant workers were camping there and I had several close encounters that creeped me out. Drug use, drinking and other things going on in the woods around you makes you pretty nervous when you are hunting with just a bow and arrow!
Old March 30, 2009, 09:02 PM   #46
jpoolsmyd2

Bluetrain, Chantilly makes sense. There are still lots of large lots of undeveloped land out there by Dulles. That's nice that there are people out there that still let people hunt their land in this area.
Old March 30, 2009, 09:34 PM   #47
Mike in VA

Bad ju-ju can happen anywhere. When I lived in Falls Church just off Rt 7 & Idyllwood, one of my neighbors asked why I carried. I explained that although it was a nice, safe neighborhood, within a one mile radius of where we stood there had been a carjacking and a couple of attempted rapes at the Metro station, a murder at the apt complex behind the Giant food store, a drive-by at Geo Mason HS, a home invasion behind there, 4 registered sex offenders in Pimmit Hills, and a warm burglary 2 blocks away in the last year.

re: deer - there are more deer in Ffx Co now than when the white man came to this country - it wasn't unusual to see them on the front lawn in the early AM, we had an 8 pt in the back yard on Xmas eve a couple years ago. Theonly enemy they have is the automobile.

We moved to Santa Fe in the summer of '06, which is a pretty up-scale town, but with a significant gap between the 'haves' and have-nots' and a fair amount of Hispanic gang activity. SF is a small city (~70k pop.) so whe stuff happens, it's never very far away. Though a good weekend in DC beats the annual murder rate here, ther is a lot of petty theft, B&E and some aggraveted assault beyond what the gang-bangers do to each other.

Chance favors the prepared [mind], as one never knows, does one?
Old March 30, 2009, 09:51 PM   #48
TxPhantom

Take your License with you.......

When we take a walk in our neighborhood (even though we live in a fairly upscale area) I always carry, usually my little 442 snubbie. But a word of caution, don't forget to take your CHL license with you, just in case. In Texas you gotta have it with you when armed and it's probably the same in other states.
USA OUT OF THE UN- LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Old March 31, 2009, 11:15 AM   #49
Mike in VA

Quote:
don't forget to take your CHL license with you, just in case. In Texas you gotta have it with you when armed
It's the same in VA & NM . . .
Old March 31, 2009, 12:11 PM   #50
mnhntr

Quote:
So......why don't some of you guys carry if you are licensed? My problem is I live in the sunbelt, really hot weather so the average garb is a golf shirt sneakers, and either long pants or shorts. I hate wearing a shirt on the outside of my pants- which in a hot climate is about your only option- you can then wear an in-the-pants holster.
A shoulder rig- shows through a light weight shirt.
Ankle holster- a PITA to wear.
I have never really solved this problem, I've thought about a leather lined pocket on my pants with a Velcro top or zipper or some other arrangement but so far nothing seems to work well.
Any suggestions welcomed.
I think the reason a lot of us leave the gun at home is that we haven't figured out a workable carry mode
I wore shirts made by PFG and Columbia when fishing in the summer in FL. they are very light and comfortable, and cover a holster very well.