The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 10, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1
bababooey32

"Concealed Carry"

As I await my CCW in the mail (probably another 3 months), I am contemplating just HOW and WHAT I will carry. I would love to carry a 4" 1911 with a Walther PPK/S for pocket carry during the summer. My question and request to you members: Can you REALLY conceal a 4"+ 1911 without dressing like a slob? I'd love to see pictures of folks with ther concealed setups using full-sized guns.

I am 6"3" 200lbs. I generally wear khaki shorts and untucked polos (fitted, rather than baggy). Or Jeans and untucked (fitted) rugby sweaters in the winter. I just feel like agun that large in an IWB holster is going to show.
Old August 10, 2009, 03:46 PM   #2
#18indycolts

Quote:
I just feel like agun that large in an IWB holster is going to show.
sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. Thats why there is a compact and subcompact size for handguns.
Old August 10, 2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Superhouse 15

I carry a full sized 1911, a Glock 19, or an H&K P7M8 in Florida year round. A good belt and holster are a must. I wear untucked polos or guyaberras to dress up, untucked t shirts the rest of the time. I don't wear a lot of shorts, mostly jeans and "5.11" style pants.

You can do it. First thing to do is to stop thinking the gun will show. 99.99999% of the world does not know or care that you exist, much less if you have a lump on your belt line. Buy your shirts a size larger and don't worry about it. A good quality polo a little bigger than you're used to will be fine. Pressed and neat and noone will know you're carrying. You just have to commit to it and get used to it.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
fastforty

Concealment is more about thickness then length. You can conceal a full sized 1911 easier then you can conceal a double stack baby Glock. With your size, you'll have no problem keeping a 4" 1911 under wrap. I'm 5-7&1/2, 160 and have no problem with my 3" Defender or my Sig P239. One more inch in length wouldn't make a bit of difference. Even if you wear a shirt that is a *little* snugger then it should be, it's quite unlikely that any "bulge" would be identified as a gun. "Printing" is a different matter.

When you get your permit, take the Wally World Stroll, it'll break you in quick
Old August 10, 2009, 11:15 PM   #5
MLeake

CZ75 under shirt

Maybe this look is too sloppy for you. REI hiking/camping clothing. Shirt is loose, but breathes well. Loose over t-shirt. REI hiking pants. SPEC-OPS brand rigger belt. SimplyRugged holster for a full-size CZ75B. The pistol is at 3:30-4:00 position, and is a CZ75D PCR, which fits in the holster; grip is 1/2" shorter than the CZ75B's. Knife in thigh pocket is an Applegate-Fairbairn folder. Spare mag for pistol is in left thigh cargo pocket.

I'm 6ft and 220ish. My lady is 5'8" or 5'9". The horse is an 18 hands mare. I look huge in one picture because I'm several feet closer than the lady, and between the horse and the camera; you get a better idea of the horse's size comparing her to the lady, who is standing next to the withers.

Note: our neighbor's daughter had no idea I was carrying; nor did anybody else we encountered. Nor did my parents, who were visiting, and who took the pictures.

http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=100_7441.jpg

http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=100_7440.jpg

And no, the horse's eyes don't usually glow like that... flash, what can you do?
Old August 11, 2009, 02:47 AM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

I habitually dress in a dress shirt, khakis and a light vest or jacket. I have no trouble concealing a Commander size 1911 in an IWB holster. And I find a good reasonably light weight cotton shirt under a light vest to be acceptably comfortable in even hot weather.
Old August 11, 2009, 03:17 AM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
I often carry 1911 Government sized and Glock CC; pretty much daily for years. (I do prefer the Colt Commander size and Glock 29 for carry and do carry them OWB.) I have never had someone mention that I was carrying. A good holster, belt, and the correct shirt and no one is the wiser.

Try it out for yourself. Try to spot someone who is CCing. Is that a handgun, or a cell phone, or an insulin pump, or a leatherman, or maybe a few too many donuts... that you are noticing bulging a bit under their shirt?

Granted I don't wear a speedo and a muscle shirt.

But, even if you like your clothing on the tighter side, you can always check out:
http://smartcarry.com/photos.html
and
http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp

Now, go figure...
Old August 11, 2009, 08:08 AM   #8
Dr Raoul Duke

Well, it depends on what you think is dressing like a slob? I am the same height, about 30 pounds heavier, and can carry a standard 1911A1 Government Model under a Hawaiian shirt in my towns very hot summers with no problem. I carry the 1911A1 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holster miltsparks.com in the 5 o'clock or kidney position. I don't think that anyone as tall as you or I are really hampered by a pistol with a barrel that is 1 inch longer, or helped much by one that is shorter. One thing I must say is I am carrying a 1911A1; this is a very slim pistol that is easy to conceal when it is not complicated by a wide beavertail grip safety, thick magazine pads or any other attachments. I can carry my fat Glock 20 in the same spot, but I need something over the top of the shirt, usually a gray photographers vest. I have a friend I see daily who, if he see's me in my gray vest, greets me with, "Carring the Glock today?".

Dr. Raoul Duke
Gonzo Forever