The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 05:40 PM   #201
bobthewelder

Our law states that if over 50% of the establishments income is derived from alcohol sales, it is illegal to carry in that establishment anyhow. If you go to a private party and drink while carrying, you are breaking the law. Our first incident of any kind with CCW (this is our first year) was a DUI on a motorcycle. Didn't matter that his weapon was in the saddle bag, he lost both his permit and his gun, not to mention his operators license.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:59 AM   #202
geterdun444

Well bob drinking is a no no with any firearm permited or not. But I realy think mixing stupid with a firearm is way nore critical

Get er Dun
Old May 2, 2008, 04:46 PM   #203
bobthewelder

Our second offender is in the paper today. He decided that he would go out in his back yard and practice on a bucket. BTW, he lives in the city, in a housing addition. He's not a very good shot either, when officers arrived they found shell casings and one hole in the bucket. I doubt the Colt Drfender was to blame.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/do...9794055674.txt
Old May 2, 2008, 06:14 PM   #204
Mainah

Quote:
I would be curious to know what a person's chance of facing a home invasion truely is...I am willing to bet it is not substantially less than their chance of using a firearm in SD during their daily activities. I am betting both very unlikely and the difference would be mathematically and practically insignificant.
I agree. I don't carry at home, I'm not making any judgements about those who do, but I don't. My greatest fear is coming home and looking down the barrel of my 870 because I interrupted the neighborhood tweaker while he was ransacking my house.

So I tend to focus on securing my guns with locks more than anything.
Old May 2, 2008, 06:24 PM   #205
geterdun444

Well bob sounds to me like I would seriously be thinking of where I was living. Or being dam sure something was in reach.
As for leaving weapons at home unsecured well I dont tink thats a realy good thing.
I am of the thinking that if you are leagaly able to purchase firearms then you are legaly and moraly obligated to make sure they are kept in a manner that will not harm anyone else

Get er Dun
Old May 2, 2008, 10:40 PM   #206
bobthewelder

geterdun44, I live in a nice part of a town of about 230,000. Where did the unsecured weapons thing come from? My weapons are always secured as I have two children 6-8 in the house. You have lost me, I know i'ts Friday night, so time for YOU to lock up yor guns obviously.
Old May 3, 2008, 07:52 PM   #207
Th0r

I don't carry at home, nor outside. As the law in the UK prevents me from doing so...

Personally I don't quite see the point in carrying at home. Yea, it might save you on occasion but I think it would cause more trouble that it is worth to be honest.

Why?

Because it creates an unnecessary sense of tension and paranoia.

What I do understand is having a gun around, within easy access so that one can defend him or herself.
Old May 3, 2008, 08:02 PM   #208
alfred

What a way to go!

Now that I realize that we have lawyers and law school graduates on here I realize why I am seeing some of the things that I read!

Laughing is extremely painful for me.You folks are truly keeping me in tears from the pain.You are worth it.I cannot think of a better way to die!

The funniest are the ones who appear to take their selves serious.I have been accused of being one who would argue with a fence post.Well.I think some of you have me beat.

Some of my medication leaves me somewhat addled and confused.Much of this thread makes more sense to me when I am addled and confused and much less when I am off of my Medication and straight.I do wonder what some of you are on.

Thanks to all.This is the best entertainment that I can find.You folk are great for this shut-in.

Please keep up the great work!

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING!alfred
Old May 3, 2008, 08:03 PM   #209
DonR101395

Quote:
Why is that? I do it all the time and never feel tense or paranoid, neither does my wife, neither did my kids before they grew up and moved out.
Old May 3, 2008, 09:32 PM   #210
Edward429451

Quote:
I felt a little hyper-aware of carrying a gun for ~2 weeks when I first started carrying, after that it just feels the same as carrying a bic lighter or a pocket knife, nothing, just there if I need it.
Old May 3, 2008, 09:37 PM   #211
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I felt a little hyper-aware of carrying a gun for ~2 weeks when I first started carrying, after that it just feels the same as carrying a bic lighter or a pocket knife, nothing, just there if I need it.
Same here. I am not sure what took longer. Becoming physically comfortable with carrying or psychologically comfortable.
Old May 3, 2008, 09:41 PM   #212
Desertscout1

Quote:
That has GOT to the dumbest thing I've ever heard!
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old May 3, 2008, 10:24 PM   #213
bobthewelder

Desertscout1, reverse it and it makes perfect sense! You carry at home due to a sense of tension and paranoia. Send all unused Valium to Alfred.
Old May 4, 2008, 05:46 AM   #214
geterdun444

Well bob the unsceured weapons comment was actualy aimed at someone else. It was my bad to not include the name it was not aimed at you.
I live in a nice small town of about 35 thousand quite a bit different fron your size.
We do have our own set of problems tho. With opening day for turkey season the police were just picking up a bunch of out of staters that come up here to hunt. They see a resident carrying and automaticaly think they can also. Problem being is they dont have permits to carry. They lose thier weapons, and also thier right to ever own a gun again also that big money they just paid for thier license to hunt.

Get er Dun
Old May 4, 2008, 08:17 AM   #215
Desertscout1

Must be tough to have to get a permit to open carry.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old May 4, 2008, 09:03 AM   #216
thrgunsmith

I have already been stabbed during a home invasion

It hurt and it sucked, statistically I'm probably never going to have to face that again.
Still, I carry nearly all the time, if I'm dressed I am packing.
I'm sure some consider that paranoia.
I do not base my personal decisions on other peoples opinions.
I moved away from NY and CA to a place where I can freely enjoy my rights, to me it is a matter of choice, I know a gentleman who is a great shot, a competitive level pistol marksman and a truly great rifle expert as well.
He never carries.
He doesn't care that I always carry, I could care less that he doesn't.

If you are concerned about me carrying a gun at home, please stay up all night worrying about it, write your political representative, gnash your teeth, pull your hair out...just keep me out of it!
Old May 4, 2008, 12:01 PM   #217
bobthewelder

Worry about it, naw. I suppose if I moved from Harlem to SanFrancisco I might carry at home as well.
Old May 4, 2008, 04:16 PM   #218
geterdun444

Desertscout here you can walk down the street with a long gun but pistols are a big no no unless you have your permit. My opinion is a motivate person with a long gun can do a hell of alot more damage than a similarly motivated person with a pistol.

Get er Dun
Old May 4, 2008, 05:30 PM   #219
alfred

To bobthewelder

Please keep your Valium.From your post,I believe you are in far more need of it than I am.I have been promised all of the "Morphine that I will need when I think I need it".I have been and will stay away from such as long as possible.

Besides,I heard Valium was for folk with problems.I have never had a problem that I can remember.Now I have been accused of "being the problem" many times.To me this means that others have a problem,not me.I do not believe that you can have a problem unless you allow something to be a problem to you.

I would just turn the Valium over to my local police department as I don't have a prescription.They would most likely turn it over to the feds,trace it back and bite the donor.

I hope that they do not read your post and arrest us all for unlawfully attempting to distribute prescription drugs or such on here.

I was once in jail and facing 105 years for "Saying NO to Drugs".It cost me thousands.The Crooked Cop was allowed to resign and I was promised that he would never work in law enforcement again.They lied!A few months later he was back a cop somewhere else and being charged with RAPE.The last I heard he was selling used cars.As for me,I have to go through the crap every time I renew my permit.Why?Because every one including my lawyer claimed it was someone else's job to straighten it out!My piece of paper from the prosecutor saying that "the witness admitted lying" and that they "believe the charges to be false" is just a piece of paper.

Thanks,but once was enough for me!

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING!alfred
Old May 5, 2008, 12:07 AM   #220
JohnKSa
Staff

Ok, I think this one's done. PMs to follow for some lucky participants.