The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2001, 11:25 AM   #1
jhampton

considering reloading

I would like some recommendations for reloading my own ammo. I mainly shoot 45, 357 mag, and 40. One contractor that works for me told me about "Lee's Load Master ." I checked it out on the web. It is a reasonable price. But I also want some other ideas.

One last question: Is there any recommended literature I should read prior to launching out on this voyage into the world of reloading?

http://www.leeprecision.com/catalog/...469=ldmas.html
Old July 10, 2001, 11:53 AM   #2
Steve Smith

#1 Run as far away from the Lee progressives that you can.
#2 buy the NRA reloading guide and read it.
#3 If you're going to load a lot, then look at Dillon, the RCBS 2000, and the new Hornady progressive.

I can't type a lot now, so I'll let the other guys ring in.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 10, 2001, 12:01 PM   #3
sundog

I think the best place to start for someone who has not reloaded is the NRA Guide to Reloading. It was put together by NRA and NRMA (url below) excellent 'how to' manual. Find a mentor who does the kind of shooting you do who is also a reloader (and someone you trust). Take the NRA relaoding course, and you will get some insight into what equipment to get and what NOT to get (spelled save your $'s for the stuff you need). And get a relaoding manual or two from Lyman (47th), Hornady, Hodgdon, etc. Also use the web as a resource and try:

www.reload-nrma.com

And, by all means, use the folks here on this board! sundog
Old July 10, 2001, 12:41 PM   #4
Clark

DIfferent people learn diferent ways:
1) watching
2) reading
3) doing
4) figure it out

I learn by watching. So I bought the RCBS video called "begginer reloading" or something.

Now three years later, I am up to ~30 calibers.
Old July 10, 2001, 12:43 PM   #5
WaywardWade

Reloading

Reloading manuals are expensive, but I would recommend you get and read as many as possible. The Speer, Hornady, Nosler and NRA manuals/guides are great choices. Check 2nd hand stores for used books, this will get you the basic information cheap, later you can buy the latest greatest based on the bullets/powders you are going to use.

The Lee loader will work, I have one that functions great. I also have a Dillion 550 and a Hornady projector. There is no comparison in quality and ease of use. You will spend allot more time shooting and less time reloading with the Dillion. The Lee and Hornady both require more setup time and are a bit "pickier" when it comes to primer placement and powder measurement and typically fail in these areas. I would not buy another Projector; I would buy another Dillion or Lee Pro.

Change over is quicker with the Dillion as well. Precision is a big Dillion plus (rounds loaded in the Dillion show less variance)

Customer service is the largest difference; Dillion loves their customers.

I would not buy another Projector; I would buy another Dillion or Lee Pro. The Lee is an economical way to get into reloading; the Dillion is a reloading investment. If you decide you hate it, you can get most your money back out of a Dillion, the Lee will be yours for all time and eternity.

My-2-cents hope it helps
Old July 10, 2001, 02:26 PM   #6
jhampton

Thanks for all your info. I am excited about exploring the art of reloading!
FIGHT CRIME......
SHOOOT BACK!
-----------------------------
There is no such thing as gun control, only incremental gun prohibition!
Old July 10, 2001, 02:31 PM   #7
DAVID NANCARROW

Do yourself a huge favor and start out with a decent single stage press before you try to become an ammunition manufacturing plant. You'll see more about what you're supposed to do and what it should look like. I have a Lee Pro 1000 that took quite a while to learn what it likes, but loaded for years off a single stage before that so I had the idea down really good before I took the plunge. Might also want to look at a turret press, which is faster than a single stage but not as complicated at the progressive.
Old July 10, 2001, 02:52 PM   #8
RobW

I started reloading with a Lee turret press without automatic indexing. This way I don't have to change dies for every step, and can evaluate what I'm doing. And, that stuff is worth it's money! It works well. I just don't use the presses priming tool, I bought a Lee hand-primer for under $ 15.00 (with a set of shellholders).

Goin' progressive at the beginning might be too difficult so you may lose your interest in reloading.

The turret brings fun and understanding of the ammo and I sometimes regret that it goes so fast and easy.
Old July 10, 2001, 03:17 PM   #9
Steve Smith

I think as long as you're of average intelligence, a progressive is fine to start on. That's what I started on, and I still have almost all my fingers! Really, if you can tie your shoes, and conceptuallize ideas, you'll be fine. If you don't need several hundred rounds a month, then a Turret might be good. Where do you live? Perhaps one of the TFL folks would show you the ropes.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 10, 2001, 05:05 PM   #10
bfox

I have the Lee pro 1000
At first I could have thrown it to the bottom
of a lake.Primers were flipping or smashing
but if you make sure primer trough is full
works fine.
check www.midwayusa loadmaster kit$202.99
pro 1000 $121.99
Whatever you get you will have a great time
with your new hobby.
Have Fun Bill
Old July 10, 2001, 05:37 PM   #11
Redneck2

Thoughts from another reloading newbie

I just went thru all the same questions you have. I found a 15 year old but never used Dillon with 2 $40 sets of dies for $120 complete. I also got an older turret press from a relative free. Some of the guys say there's deals on e-bay.

The advice about the reloading manuals is good. One note..if you're thinking about buying a reloading kit (perhaps a good idea) then make sure that the manuals you buy aren't going to be included. I have a Lyman and Lee.

You WILL need a dial caliper. I picked one up at a pawn shop for $15 dollars but if you look around you can get new ones way cheap.

Figure out the calibers you want to reload and have your relatives and family get you dies and other neat stuff for birthdays, Christmas, etc. Great to get gifts you'll actually use and it saves lots of money.

If you haven't gotten on Midway's mailing list, that's must-do.

I kind of drove myself crazy worrying about everything, but the best thing to do is just get started. Frustrating at first, then everything falls into place

Lots of good loading info is available from the powder manufacturers free. Look thru the archives here also, and try Centerfire Central for load advice. Always check 2 sources minimum.

The guys on this site are fantastic. Lots of real world experience and very nice people. Super feeling to have friends you've never met.
Old July 11, 2001, 02:31 AM   #12
blades67

I think the best thing for you to do is find a couple of shooters in your area that roll their own and have them show you how it's done and what you need to do it.

Most folks here will tell you to go rent a gun you might buy to get a feel for it. You should do the same in this situation. Call Dillon and find a stocking dealer in your neighborhood, you can try all the different Dillon presses.

A single stage press is a waste of money unless you plan on working up .50 BMG loads or forming wildcats one at a time. Anything that can be done with a single stage press can be done with a Dillon RL550B four times as fast, except for the .50 BMG. Think about that before you spend any money.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 11, 2001, 08:56 AM   #13
JoeHatley

jhampton,

Both www.rcbs.com and www.alliantpowder.com have pretty good "how to" sections on their web sites.
Well worth the time to look over.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old July 15, 2001, 11:53 PM   #14
Edward429451

Dont abandon the idea of getting a single stage press just because some guys think its a waste of time. It MAY be a waste of time for HIM and his reloading needs, but your reloading needs could be different than his. I started out on a single stage RCBS Rockchucker (15 yrs ago, still works like new), and moved up to a Dillon RL550B about 4 yrs ago. The Dillon is bulletproof and fast and all that, but the single stage still has a significant place in my "war room", I use it alot, like when working up a new load and dont want to mess up my adjustments on the Dillon, or when I'm loading MAX loads and need ultimate control of my load specs, like the powder charge. Who knows there may be a 50 BMG in your future also. Even if you get a Dillon first, you should get a Rockchucker for just these reasons. Quality control is important in some loads moreso than others and the versatility of a single stage gives you this. Good Luck, and buy a bullet puller too, nobodys perfect.
Old July 16, 2001, 12:01 AM   #15
Edward429451

Quote:
Anything that can be done on a single stage press can be done on a RL550B with the exception of the 50 BMG
You cant swage your own .224 slugs out of once fired .22 LR cases on a Dillon RL550B, no matter how fast it goes! RCBS YES!
Old July 16, 2001, 10:30 AM   #16
Steve Smith

While the merits of having a single stage on your bench is real, I still don't believe that they're the best thing since sliced bread. I think if anything, the turret is the most versatile of all presses. I have a turret on my bench in order to single load specific rounds and for unique applications, but it's only a supplement to my Dillon. I think that only using a single stage is a slow way to go about things, especially if you're making large amounts of handgun ammo. Again, if you don't need that much, then consider a turret.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 19, 2001, 11:31 AM   #17
Calcitanium

A few short weeks ago I was an absolute beginner to reloading. On the recommendation of some TFL members I bought a Dillon 550, and I'm still pleased with that purchase. Almost done with my first pound of powder.

The salesman volunteered to assemble it (about 95%) before I brought it home, and he gave me a few initial tips on what to do or not do.

I haven't had to call Dillon yet, people on here say their tech support is great. I've of course had the advantage of all the knowledge on TFL to fall back on. I've asked the salesman questions twice now. As others have said, so much of it is just common sense (I was reminded of that after I heard his answers).

I like the suggestion given above about trying to find someone nearby who reloads so you can watch/learn from them.

I'm somebody who compulsively fails to read all the way thru instruction manuals (not a good idea in this area), so the first couple days I had minor problems. But I finally read more and now everything is going smoothly. All I'm doing so far is target .45 ACP loads. I sure am glad that for months previous I had been saving up brass!

I had a free half-hour last night and needed to go shooting today. In that time I was able to reload about 100 cartridges. Not a record-setting pace, I'm sure, but that did include adding primers twice and (quickly) inspecting some brass. I don't think of reloading as a "race" anyway.
Old July 19, 2001, 04:25 PM   #18
jhampton

Thanks Calcitanium - for the info. I am considering the Dillon press also.
FIGHT CRIME......
SHOOOT BACK!
-----------------------------
There is no such thing as gun control, only incremental gun prohibition!