The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 6, 2015, 10:10 AM   #1
P71pilot

Ak owners chime in

I have a 2013 made saiga 7.62x39 that I did the pistol grip conversion on. I chose a tapco trigger group, a kvar NATO length black polymer stock and a tapco polymer standard style pistol grip. Anyways I would like to get a side rail scope mount for the gun. I have a couple scopes and a red dot not being used. I see you can get quick detach side mounts for as little as $20 all the way up to around 200. I would like to spend no more than 50 dollars on the mount and it needs to meet these requirements

Must be quick detach, throw lever NO Screw one
Must center on the rifle bore. I know there are some that are offset.

So do any of you ak owners have any positive experience with any of the cheaper side mounts? I hate putting anything Chinese made on the gun but I don't want to pay a Benjamin franklin for something from kalinka.

Also, without installing a feed ramp/bullet guide, I found out my SAIGA feeds every round flawlessly from a 30rd tapco regular ak mag. I have a SGM 20 rounder made for saigas, and it feeds perfectly, but the saiga specific mags are kind of pricey and they are plastic

Do you all think it would be worth the try to order a couple of 30rd steel magazines? If they didn't feed right I could always install a bullet guide in the future.

Thanks for any and all input guys. I love this SAIGA rifle and feel that it is a more trust worthy rifle than any AR under 3000. Lightweight, accurate, comfortable, this guy is staying with me for life.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:33 PM   #2
chiefr

IMHO, the AK was never designed for a scope.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:51 PM   #3
AK103K

I agree. I dont see much point in putting a scope on an AK. A good red dot on the other hand, is a good thing, but one I think best mounted low and up front, and not over the top cover.

With the right red dot, mount and ring, you can cowitness your iron sights to the red dot, and theres no need to remove it, should it happen to go down.

I have a couple of AK's with ML2 Aimpoints mounted on Ultimak rails, and have never had a problem with either of them. They've been on there for about 12 years now.

The Ultimaks are well made, and good kit, but are going to cost you about $100.

This is my Saiga conversion done by Krebs, back around 2000.....

As far as mags go, I got a bunch of Bulgarian surplus mags for cheap years ago, and they have always worked great in all my AK's.
Old January 6, 2015, 06:52 PM   #4
chris in va

I also did a Saiga conversion a few years ago.

Go ahead and do the bullet guide kit from Dinzag. It doesn't cost much and let's you use any normal AK mag. Did you file down the mag catch yet?

Beware of most AK side mounts. They place the rail very high above the normal cheek weld and make things awkward.

I'd probably go the Ultimak route if I still had it. Eventually I got frustrated with the AK platform and got an AR.
Old January 6, 2015, 07:31 PM   #5
amd6547

I use the cheap UTG side mount on my 5.45 Saiga, and couldn't be happier with it. I put a Bushnell TRS25 on it, and it works great. Returns to zero when removed.
As far as the bullet guide...
My 5.45 Saiga functioned fine with Bulgarian poly mags Pre conversion, so I questioned whether or not it was needed. When I did the conversion, I decided to go ahead and install the bullet guide.
While my rifle functioned without the guide, after I installed it, I found my rifle fed much smoother. I was glad I put it in, and it was very easy to do.
Old January 6, 2015, 07:52 PM   #6
skizzums

I just recommended this to another poster yesterday I think. my friend from work has it on a saiga, it's really tight and actually allows for a cheek weld.
http://www.jgsales.com/dog-leg-picat...s.-p-3820.html

but for under fifty bucks, I am not sure. I would just grab a cheap one and give it a try, you said it's 20$ so who really cares if it ends up being junk, I am sure someone would buy it from you anyways
Old January 6, 2015, 08:13 PM   #7
AK103K

Do yourself a favor, dont waste your money on cheap, gimmicky stuff. Its cheap for a reason, and a lot of cheap, adds up to expensive pretty quick.

If I had back all the money I wasted on "cheap" $100-150 "big name" red dots and lesser grade mounts, that took a crap soon after mounting them, Id have another Aimpoint and some more good mounts.
Old January 7, 2015, 12:01 AM   #8
Gunfixr

All tapco mags I've seen were also, plastic.
However, for the small price and low difficulty of the job, I'd just put the guide in.
But, do a test. Put in your tapco mag, rack the bolt and chamber a round. Then take it out and look at it. Just because it feeds in doesn't mean the round didn't get molested along the way. Check for dings or burrs on the bullet, especially around the nose.
Old January 8, 2015, 12:37 PM   #9
P71pilot

I ordered 2 steel mags and will test them when I can. I am just a little concerned about the bullet guide, that's why I have held it off. I know that eveything has to be 100percent perfect in the drilling and tapping of the receiver. I have never tapped anything before. For a guy with very little to no machine shop type of experience, I wonder if I would be better off riveting the guide on
Old January 8, 2015, 01:15 PM   #10
Jim567

If I can do it anyone can
Old January 9, 2015, 11:12 PM   #11
Overkill777

Quote:
Do yourself a favor, dont waste your money on cheap, gimmicky stuff. Its cheap for a reason, and a lot of cheap, adds up to expensive pretty quick.

If I had back all the money I wasted on "cheap" $100-150 "big name" red dots and lesser grade mounts, that took a crap soon after mounting them, Id have another Aimpoint and some more good mounts.
This is good advice.

Although I prefer the AK with irons. I played around with a side mount optic on my AK for a while. It's impossible to get any kind of a cheek weld it is mounted so ridiculously high. A properly mounted red dot is doable but it's not for me either.
Old January 21, 2015, 11:56 AM   #12
5thShock

I have used a side mount PSO 1, not the OverTheBoreCenterline, on my Sar 1. It worked well and seemed less cumbersome than the higher over bore set up, it shrunk groups at 100 and 200 yards. I closed my right eye and peered through the scope with my left. I zeroed the scope so that I hit slightly to the left of center (the distance between the scope center and the bore axis) so that my line of sight was parallel to the barrel. This error is small a stays the same at all ranges.
Old January 23, 2015, 08:35 PM   #13

saiga

I have two Saiga ten round mags and two plastic saiga twenty round mags. They all feed perfectly. So my question is: why people install a bullet guide and modify the latch for steel mags? At this point I plan to keep my saiga " unconverted"..It's a 7.62x39.
Old January 25, 2015, 06:28 PM   #14
P71pilot

The pistol grip conversion allows a handier rifle and better balance. The rifle feels more efficient to use. The magazine conversion is done so that your SAIGA can accept original designed ak mags. They are more readily available and are cheaper to buy. Also more durable than SAIGA specific mags. I didn't file my magazine catch but I filed at the latches on my ak mags. Felt better to alter the mags than the mag retention device. I still have to install a feed ramp.
Old February 7, 2015, 10:03 PM   #15
Trueno

AK103K: I agree. I dont see much point in putting a scope on an AK.

Count your blessings that your eyesight will still accommodate the short sight radius

Old February 7, 2015, 11:00 PM   #16
TXAZ

Iron sights

Man sized target at 100 meters, iron sights. Effective out to 300 yards with iron sights. Also called a "long range shotgun", able to send 30 rounds in a shotgun pattern at several hundred yards, with iron sites.

If I wanted a scoped rifle, I'd look at something else.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 8, 2015, 01:08 AM   #17
chris in va

Dont worry about the bullet guide installation. All you do is line it up, use the drill bit provided, then use the tap and turn 1/4 turn, back off...then another 1/4 turn. Easy peasy.

Tags
7.62x39 , saiga , side mount