The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 31, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Gary Slider

Knife Info . . . Incorrect Information . . . Happy New Year

Handgunlaw.us has a document that only covers the carrying of “Folding Type Knives.” http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf I have found another site that covers most of the laws for Knives in the different states. http://www.knifeup.com/knife-laws/ seems very good butI have not looked at the site extensively but it does give the alpha/numeric code and case law for the knife laws in most state. It is worth a look to those who wish to find out more about the knife laws in their state or where they are traveling. It also allows you to comment on each states listing.

I keep getting emails saying, “Handgunlaw.us is wrong!” USA Carry or USCCA or NRA-ILA or USA Carry and the NRA-ILA or NRA-ILA and USCCA say Nevada honors Missouri or that VA honors MO or that PA Honors ID or that AR or MS don’t honor CA or NY. These other groups are saying things different than Handgunlaw.us!!!!
www.handgunlaw.us is correct and up to date. I don’t want people to think I am bashing those sites in any way but the fact is they are not up to date. They show states as still honoring another state which has dropped them and don’t show all the states that honor some states. Not showing a state honors another state will not get someone arrested. Showing a state still honors another state when they don’t can cause someone huge problems. I have contacted all those sites in the past about updating certain things and have never received a reply from any of them. Confirm everything you read on the internet.

Confirming can also be very difficult. Calling the AG’s office or the State Police to check sounds all well and good but over the years I have seen countless examples of those offices giving out incorrect information. Thursday 12/19 an administrative assistance in the WV AG’s office (My home state) put out incorrect info to a person who called them. The person in the AG’s Office just didn’t know and I believe that that person just looked at their AG’s website listing and saw a state listed and told the person WV honored them. When in fact that listing showed that that state honored WV but that WV did not honor them. This person was given incorrect information that could have been very detrimental to him and his right to carry in the future.
Even the Missouri AG continued to list VA and NV as honoring them when both dropped Missouri until I contacted then and gave them the correct information. Then they removed them.

Don’t quit questioning anything I have on Handgunlaw.us if you believe it is in error. I am human and far from perfect and can make an error. The vast majority of the time I am correct but there are instances where I have been incorrect or have left something out and I appreciate someone pointing that out. All the sites listed above and Handgunlaw.us has a disclaimer saying you must confirm that information. We have to do that because we are human and can make a mistake.

Handgunlaw.us hopes your Christmas was everything you were hoping for and that the New Year is everything you are expecting.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; December 31, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old December 31, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Thanks for the update and many thanks for the good job.

Glenn