The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Kimber84

Win Brass

I found a bag of Win brass that I bought for my .243 probably 5-6 years ago and had forgotten about.

Anyways, I decided to load it up (100) rounds. As I was going through it I found at least 15 pcs that had cracked necks on them, deeming the unusable. Is this typical of Win brass, or did I just get "lucky"?

Makes the higher end brass seem more and more worth it.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:11 AM   #2
arch308

Seems unusuall to me. I've had good luck with the Win brass I have bought.
Old June 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #3
TheNatureBoy

I've been using winchester brass exclusively since I started reloading back in 2008 and have probably discarded no more than 5ea .243 cases. Based on my experience yours is the exception rather than the rule. Use Winchester cases for .280, 7mm, and .308 as with the same good results.
Old June 6, 2013, 01:03 PM   #4
AllenJ

I have been using Winchester brass since the 70's and have never had more than a couple of bad pieces per 100. I think you just got "lucky".
Old June 6, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5
g.willikers

Unusable?
What, you never heard of duct tape?

Without knowing how many times they were used, or under what circumstances, it's kind of a stretch to blame the manufacturer, isn't it?
Old June 6, 2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Heck, when I saw "Win Brass," I thought this was a contest, and I was gonna enter!
Old June 6, 2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Kimber84

Win Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
Unusable?
What, you never heard of duct tape?

Without knowing how many times they were used, or under what circumstances, it's kind of a stretch to blame the manufacturer, isn't it?
Well, they were brand new... . So I'll blame the manufacturer.
Old June 6, 2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Paul B.

You have two options. Send the bag back to Winchester, They'll probably repace them. Or, you can anneal the necks of the uncracked brass and use them. For some eason the heve had what is called "season cracking". THat happens due to an improper annealing at the factory. I had it happen with a batch of Remington .308 Win. Brass. Loads of full pulling the bullets from the ones that still had good necks, salvaging the powder and priimers so that I could anneal the necks. They've worked just fine ever since.
Paul B.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:10 PM   #9
TATER

I have made it a practice of annealing all brass that I pull from storage..
I know that probably sounds extreme.
I have started dating my zip-bags of brass but, some bags are right at 20 years old.

Last edited by TATER; June 6, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:30 PM   #10
g.willikers

Now that you clarify the cases were new, that's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.
Never knew about season cracking.
Is this for bottle necked cases, only?
Old June 6, 2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Kimber84

Win Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
You have two options. Send the bag back to Winchester, They'll probably repace them. Or, you can anneal the necks of the uncracked brass and use them. For some eason the heve had what is called "season cracking". THat happens due to an improper annealing at the factory. I had it happen with a batch of Remington .308 Win. Brass. Loads of full pulling the bullets from the ones that still had good necks, salvaging the powder and priimers so that I could anneal the necks. They've worked just fine ever since.
Paul B.
That's some interesting info... Thanks...

I guess it's too late to send them back, I bought them 5 years ago and really in the big picture I didn't lose anything as I forgot I had them ( and the bad ones are already gone and the rest processed).. Lesson learned though.

I will pull the remaining and anneal though, I would feel better about knowing I've gone through them all. I didn't even think to do that, let alone the fact that they could all be borderline to cracking.

Thanks
Old June 6, 2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Kimber84

Win Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATER View Post
I have made it a practice of annealing all brass that I pull from storage..
I know that probably sounds extreme.
I have started dating my zip-bags of brass but, some bags are right at 20 years old.
I'm not criticizing, just curious why you anneal after periods of storage?

Myself, I can't see the material properties changing ( at least in relation to the time we will spend on earth) to the point that they would come to needing annealing... But maybe? I guess it's more peace of mind?
Old June 6, 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
arch308

I have never annealed brass in my 20+ years of reloading. I've read about it but have never found a need for it. Am I missing something?
Granted mostly I reload handgun ammo. I do hand load all my hunting ammo but don't shoot it much.
Old June 6, 2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Kimber84

Win Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
Heck, when I saw "Win Brass," I thought this was a contest, and I was gonna enter!
"Win" some free never fired and only cracked once brass..
Old June 6, 2013, 05:12 PM   #15
TATER

I have some really old brass, 20 years is being conservative. I write the caliber at the top of zip-bag and it goes
In a big storage box. That way I can thumb across the tops of bag in search of a caliber.. Over the years really
Old stuff that was stored in the garage has got mixed with newer stuff. I noticed brass that had been in the
Garage for years, developed cracked necks way too early in their rotation. I started annealing all brass of unknown age right off the bat.
I no longer have that problem. Was it Age, environment or both??? I assume brittle with age.. But, Yes, peace of mind fits too