The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2013, 03:36 PM   #1
steelbird

Filler material for .45 Colt

I'm considering using Unique loads for my .45 Colt Uberti Chisolm ( it's a Cattleman type ). But I suspect that it will not ignite evenly, due to it's not filling the case. Would using a filler be a problem? I have had success using Spanish moss with my BP '58 Remmy, and I'm thinking of using it for filler.
For those who don't know about Spanish moss, it's a kind of air plant that can be found here in NE Florida. It's soft, stringy, and very pliable. It can be compressed when you roll up some strands of it into a ball, and spreads out to fill whatever you stuff it into. The nice feature of it is that it acts as a kind of mild abrasive - it helps keep the bore from fouling up. The Spanish used it here regularly back in the 16th and 17th centuries for their weapons. And the best part of all - it's completely free for the taking. Those of you in NE Florida who are looking for some wadding material for BP shooting might want to try it.
Anyway, sorry for the detour, back to the original question - filler material OK for cartridge loads of Unique in .45 Colt?
Old June 3, 2013, 03:47 PM   #2
TATER

Unique in .45 Colt does not require a filler..though, I don't see any harm with Poly-fill either. (wast of time)
With spanish moss, I don't think long term storage would be a good idea though..
Old June 3, 2013, 04:05 PM   #3
huntinaz

Unique is probably THE most popular powder used to load 45 Colt. I believe you may be the first person to bring up using a filler with it.

It isn't needed (it ignites just fine)
Old June 3, 2013, 04:16 PM   #4
zippy13

I load light wad cutters for a .44 Rem Mag revolver and have been using poly fill in the void. With the moss you never know what you'll get: Are the density and moisture content consistent? Could foreign objects (grit), in the moss, do more than help keep your barrel clean? With enough moss, you might eventually be shooting a smooth bore.
Old June 3, 2013, 05:03 PM   #5
g.willikers

When I first started reloading, way back when, it was for .44 Mag.
To be as stingy with powder as possible, some of the loads were very small in that case.
Using filler for light loads was supposed to be a given.
Single sheet toilet paper worked about as good as anything.
Whether it was actually necessary....??
Old June 3, 2013, 05:13 PM   #6
rclark

Just load up 8.0g or 8.5g of Unique under your 250-260g bullet and forget about filler. Not necessary with Unique/Universal or any other powder that I am aware of for that matter! If you want a powder than fills the case, go with Trail Boss.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old June 3, 2013, 05:18 PM   #7
twobit

I use Unique in mine without filler. I also use Trailboss which is fluffier and fills the case so much that it is impossible to double charge it. Either powder works well. I use the Trailboss mostly for target loads and the Unique for the warmer stuff for hunting / protective loads close to maximum.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:45 PM   #8
jag2

JMO, but I just don't think its a problem. That said I have no evidence either way. I think a lot of reloaders are just a tad anal and go looking for problems to be solved. I have heard of people using clothes dryer lint to fill up some cases, that may be better as far as shelf life is concerned compared to moss.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:35 PM   #9
bluetopper

Fillers are for skinny teenage girls.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:44 PM   #10
chiefr

I have been blasting away many rounds of 45LC. I use Unique exclusively from light to heavy. Never used a filler and never heard of anybody doing so.
Old June 4, 2013, 06:11 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

appropriate packaging

If insisting on a filler, might I suggest Titegroup, or TrailBoss?

Then the only filler you'd require is Titegroup, or TrailBoss
Old June 4, 2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Ozzieman

Spanish moss with my BP '58 Remmy, and I'm thinking of using it for filler.
I shoot a lot of 45C and never found the need for filler. Also the fact that you’re not going to get each one packed the same could cause accuracy issues.
What I would like to ask is why you do for the Remmy. I shoot a lot of Colt replica BP and all get 32 Gr of BP and the ball shoved in as far as it will go with a little grease on top.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old June 4, 2013, 07:47 PM   #13
arch308

Like everybody else has said, you don't need filler. Especially with Unique.
Old June 5, 2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Sport45

As many have said, no filler is necessary for the powders that work well in the cartridge. That includes Titegroup, Unique, Universal, Trail Boss and many others.

I haven't tried it yet, but have read of good experiences with Cream of Wheat over a reduced charge of powder being used with cast bullets to effectively "clean" the barrel by shooting a cylinder full at the end of a range trip.
Old June 5, 2013, 09:41 PM   #15
TXGunNut

Filler? Black Powder requires compression in a proper 45 Colt load. I don't even bother with a wad.
Unique and Universal don't need filler, I don't think 296 or 2400 do either. Most powders aren't position sensitive and don't need fillers but some folks see it differently. Other folks think fillers are dangerous. YMMV.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:10 PM   #16
steelbird

Thanks for the replies, all.

Generally I've been using 3F Goex for my Uberti - history buff and all that, the original 45 Colt was meant for BP. I've been using Unique for my 1911. In both examples, the cases are full, so I was unsure if a less than full case would be a problem. I just got my hands on a bunch of Unique, my BP stock is a bit low, so I thought I'd run some Unique for my Uberti until I restocked my BP suppply.
As to using Spanish moss, this was suggested by a friend who shoots a matchlock replica. I figured, why not give it a try, and it does reduce fouling in the barrell quite well, and accuracy did improve with my Remmy ( I'm not hung up on super tight groups, I just shoot for the fun of it, and to sort of quote Col. Kilgore, I love the smell of black powder in the morning - smells like history ). Long term storage is not an issue, since even if it doesn't last, it's as common here as dirt. Easilly replaced, and completely free. I drop it in boiling water to kill anything in it - an old trick the local Native Americans here used before doing anything with it.
Thanks again for all the replies.