The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1
9rudy9

Case mouth ridges. W 30-06 factory ammo

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and finally getting started reloading.
I was inspecting some factory Winchester 30-06 Springfield brass. I believe it was 165gr. PSP. They were shot 1 time from either my Ruger M77 or my sons Ruger M77 MKII.
I can't say I have ever looked that closely at the case mouth before but I noticed what looked to be damage at the mouth. A closer look and some scotch brite revealed the pattern shown in the photos. I did not find any photos of casings with similar patterns. My first question is mainly curiosity but does this pattern come from the bullet seating die or from the groove pattern on the bullet? Something else?
Can I expect that this pattern will not be present after reloading using RCBS tooling? Thanks in advance. Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case mouth outside scothbrighted.jpg (207.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg case mouth Inside1.jpg (194.2 KB, 33 views)
Old February 28, 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
rg1

That's a crimp called a "factory crimp" which crimps the case mouth into the bullet cannelure. Doesn't present any problems reloading those cases. You'll trim off some of the factory crimp when you trim to length. I personally don't like the factory crimp and don't like Lee's factory crimp dies which you can buy to put a crimp on brass just like in your pics. I prefer to not crimp or use the regular roll crimp for rifle rounds. Load as usual.
Old February 28, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
9rudy9

Thanks rg1.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
NESHOOTER

I also would agree it is a crimp, but I do use a crimp on all my reload some heavier than others, I use a Lee factory crimp... more consisent FSP and grouping size of a nickel and that is for up to 7mm at 100yrds. But just letting you know not to fear them as any responses to my post you can do a search on crimping more than enough info on this topic.