The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 5, 2013, 12:05 PM   #1
j-shew

Turkish Mauser 1938

Hi I need some help I have a model 1938 8mm turkish mauser with large rings and small ring threads I was told also has small ring floor plate. It has some work done safety and firing pin have replaced bolt was bent and jeweled. what caliber can I go to with minimum work. I hunt moose and deer it is getting hard to get 8mm ammo where I live and I do not reload. Please help

Thank you

Jason
Old March 5, 2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

if you're shooting 8 X 57... 30-06 or 35 Whelan would seem realistic... '06 would be likely easier to find ammo for...
Old March 5, 2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Liambobbi

For the price of putting a new barrel on it might be worth picking up a reloading set (lee being the cheapest) and dies and start hand loading if your not interested in that then 30-06 sprg,.270win,or .280 rem would be the easy way to go and Canadian tire always has 30-06,& 270 ammo and both those cals are more than enough for moose
Old March 5, 2013, 12:55 PM   #4
j-shew

Thanks I am not getting much help from local gun smith. all they want to do is sell me new rifles and they are saying it will cost 700-1000 dollars parts and labour. I see on-line barrels run 50-250 dollars. the gun smiths will not bring a stock from the states. I do not know if or what the issue is with bringing an barrel in. This is why i am asking and trying to find a caliber myself that requires the least amount of machining "head spacing and so on" I am shooting 8 X57 right now I do not mind going smaller cal. Can 7mm mag be done easily? Also is it hard to get a barrel across the border. I also need a new stock i have e-mailed boyds and they have not responded do they make a quality product?

Last edited by j-shew; March 5, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Mobuck

A properly done sporterization will cost more than you can buy a good commercial rifle for. Changing to a magnum bolt face will add cost. The Turk mag boxes may be shorter than will be optimal for 30/06 or 35 Whelen. A couple I've modified ended up with magwells that wouldn't accept all types of 30/06 ammo.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:33 PM   #6
tahoe2

j-shew

For the money you would spend to change calibers, you could get a full reloading setup and tailor your ammo to your gun.
It's really easy and doesn't take too long. I have been reloading the 8x57 for 10 years, lots of stuff out there to make your mauser shine.
I have three, 2-Yugo's and a German, reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot those babies.
If you still want to change calibers midway has Adams & Bennett (Green Mountain) sporter barrels under 100 bucks in 7x57,
then you need go-no/go gauges, an action wrench, a barrel vise, etc... it sounds overwhelming but it's not too bad, research is your friend.
As for Boyd's stocks I have two, and love them, one walnut and one laminated.
I bought both of them unfinished and finished them myself ( no checkering), each one has a Monte Carlo cheek piece design and distributes recoil nicely.
colville hunt 057.jpg

Last edited by tahoe2; March 5, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Scorch

There are issues with converting this rifle to 30-06. Primary one is you will not be able to fit 30-06 ammo in the magazine unless it is seated shorter than SAAMI spec. As suggested, you can get a short-chambered barrel and convert to 7X57, or any of the cartridges based on the 308 Winchester. A Boyds or other drop-in stock is a quick way to bring the appearance around. A Timney trigger is also a nice addition. Quick, easy, done. Price= about $400-$500.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:46 PM   #8
j-shew

Thank you for the information