The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

Blackhawk surgery went well

I almost didn't cut her. She was in much better shape than my Vaquero but accuracy still wasn't what I desired. As you can see some metal was removed and she's a true .4525 in each hole now.

Old December 31, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
smee78

Nice job, I have been needing to do mine for some time now but have not bought the tools yet, I hope I will get it done in 2013. I got 3 to do (Blackhawk, Redhawk & Vaquero) Be sure to let us know how well she shoots now.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve

I'm happy to report it shoots way better. Maybe someday Ruger will learn how to build them this way from the factory.

With my vaquero I was getting weird blobs of bullet lube on the target. What I think was happening was the bullet was getting swaged down so much that it squeezed the lube out as it exited the cylinder then it was shot out behind the bullet.

For the blackhawk it went from being on a paper plate to grouping the size of a fist. A 50% improvement I'd say. I've got pictures but they will have to wait.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
smee78

Out standing, I'm glad to hear the good news. Now I will have to get off my butt and get this done. Where did you get your cutter? Brownells?
Old January 2, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
STW

My concern about doing this myself was keeping the cutter true and lined up properly. I admit I chickened out and sent mine to Cylindersmith. I might have changed my mind if I'd needed more than one cylinder done.
A hat tip your way.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve

Yup, got everything from Brownells. I would highly recommend getting the pilot kit. It comes with a bunch of different sizes so you can find the best fit for each hole, and they most likely will be all a little different.

If your pilot is snug then it's hard to mess up. Just be very generous with the drill-do and give it steady pressure.

I will say the T-handle I bought didn't work. That's why I have that chuck. I didn't mount it to a drill, I just used my hands but the chuck held the bit tight.

I made a few videos when I did my Vaquero
http://youtu.be/FTb9cNKNavQ
http://youtu.be/V9ySs13OinA

You know you can't own just one .45 revolver. If you ream two then it's paid for itself. You also get the satisfaction of learning a new skill and remember no one treats your stuff as good as you do.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:37 AM   #7
smee78

Excellent, thanks for the videos.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:10 AM   #8
Redhawk5.5+P+

Have you fire lapped the barrel?
Old January 5, 2013, 04:11 AM   #9
Budda

Does a redhawk .44 need this?
Old January 5, 2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Super Sneaky Steve

I haven't fire lapped the barrel. The accuracy now is good so I don't find a need for it.

Budda, I don't know if your gun needs it or not, but you can try sticking an unloaded bullet in your cylinder, if it fits then you should be good, if not you can find a reamer for just about any caliber.

I hear Ruger does better with their .44's.
Old January 6, 2013, 03:43 AM   #11
stevelyn

I did the same thing to my Redhawk last year. I did cut a piece of .45-70 brass to line the chamber with before I opened the throats up.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:11 AM   #12
VTRich

Boy that looks familiar! I've had to do that with every Ruger 45 Colt that I have, and I have a few! I makes a big difference when shooting cast bullets. I have a Redhawk 7.5" in 45 Colt coming in next week and I am sure I will need to do the same with that.

Ruger does get the 44's right. The only one I've had that was slightly tight was one of the recent SBH's that Talo had run with the 3.75" barrel.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:35 PM   #13
smee78

I just got my order in today, I hope my project comes out as nice.