The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 1, 2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Superdave70_02

Dove hunting in the Texas panhandle

Well dove season opens here today and I'm stuck at work! With the drought I'm thinking a water hole is gonna my best bet for setting up my hunting spot. As trees a few and far between here those are always a go to for roosting birds. Anybody else hunting in the panhandle. Got any more tips or favorite tricks for the little grey rockets?
Old September 5, 2011, 04:35 AM   #2
Desertfox

I hunt the pan handle often for the speedy morsels. If there is a fence line with brush near the watering hole, hunt it. If not, buy 4 or 6 dove decoys and make a dove roost. I welded some rebar together in a tee and put four decoys atop the tee. I sharpened the end and put a kick bar on it.
Now I can take it in the field, stick it in the ground like a sign and it sticks 9 feet in the air with 4 fake doves roosting. If you can put it amongst brush and back off of it 10 yards or so, they fly from all around to see them decoys.
I still shoot a box of shells on the first day before I bag 5 birds. Still fun for me.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Superdave70_02

Got to go two days. Limited out the first day in about two hours. The second day I shot two boxes and only bagged 9 birds. I seem to be getting worse instead Of better.