The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Vermonter

suggest a slug gun optic

I am building a slug gun out of my mossberg 500. It came with the 18.5 rifled barrel and an el cheapo scope. I have used the gun for turkey hunting and so forth with the longer barrel and am satisfied with that.

I recently did some bear hunting and the slug setup quickly revealed its shortcomings. The scope that came with it barley holds a zero and doesn't seem to have been designed to be shotgun specific. This gun was the dicks combo gun.

I purchased a blackhawk spec ops camo stock with recoil supression and camo foreend.

I want to top this off with a specialized optic that is designed for shotguns. I'm thinking something in a low power with a red dot or an acog variety. Obviously I will not be making any shot over 100 yards so high power is not needed.

Anyone have any nice optics they use on 12 gauge slug guns?

Vermonter
Old February 5, 2011, 09:59 AM   #2
davecharles

I love my 2X7 burris fullfield II. 35mm objective lense gathers light well. 2X most of the time but higher magnification if needed. I tried some reddot sights but they had poor light transmission in low light.
Dave
Old February 5, 2011, 11:12 AM   #3
zippy13

Vermonter, in addition to low power, a shotgun scope is happier if it's parallax is factory adjusted for 50-yards, not the 100-yards for a typical rifle.

Like Dave, I'm happy with the Burris scopes I own. You can't beat the Burris Forever Warranty.
Old February 5, 2011, 02:20 PM   #4
arizona98tj

Rather than a regular red dot, ever considered an EOTech? I have one on my shotgun and I can't think of a better setup to have from 0 to 100 yards.

The 65 MOA circle allows quick target acquisition when time is critical and your are close to the target. The 1 MOA dot allows you precise aiming for those 100 yard slug shots....and you don't worry about parallax with an EOTech. It works for deer, turkey, and bad guys.

You can shoot both eyes open while that hologram looks like it just floats out there past the end of the barrel.

I couldn't be happier with mine. I have it on my FNH SLP Mk1.

Old February 5, 2011, 03:57 PM   #5
ethan95

AimPoint H34S, nice and rugged and it will hold its zero.
Old February 5, 2011, 04:48 PM   #6
jrothWA

Old USA WEAVER K1.5 sits on..

my shotgun since 1976.
Old February 5, 2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Vermonter

Aimpoint Ethen

The aimpoint looks nice and low profile. How do you like the battery operated optic? I have never used one so I don't know what to expect. Also if I may ask what did you give for it?

Vermonter
Old February 5, 2011, 08:49 PM   #8
pabuckslayer08

Honestly I have the same gun and thought the same way as you that I want low power and make the animal get close. While at the range I discovered its no problem to shoot 125 yards without holdover and can hold a 4 inch group at 200 with minimal holdover. I ditched my 1.5 to 4 and bought a 3x9 Nikon Slughunter BDC 250 and its great. Nice low 3 power for in the woods or walking in low light and the high power for fields and what not. I love it and would recommend it to anyone