The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Kaiser T

FMJ & JHP load in same mag?

Is there a technical issue if .380 ACP JHP and FMJ rounds are loaded in the same magazine, alternately (One JHP, one FMJ...and so on)? The idea is to back up the lesser penetration of a .380 JHP in case the target is heavily/thickly protected. It's a queer idea, but just wondering!
Old January 13, 2011, 09:48 AM   #2
roman3

No, if the ammo feeds normally then it should feed in a staggered mag. Alternating rounds should not normally cause any issues, unless one has a more powerful recoil which causes you as the shooter to somehow not control the gun and cause a shooter induced jam.

The idea is not that queer, as 9x18 Makarov and 32ACP shooters often suggest they do this for the very reason you suggest. They figure the best of both worlds.

However, the actual practicality of the move is not so great, as the FMJ you hope to penetrate may not hit the target and the HP you hope expands may not do so even if it hits the target. And different ammo even of the same weight could have different recoil signatures and may not give you a steady flow of similar shots...of course the same ammo from a box may not also but its more likely to similar.

In my view FMJ ammo should only be used for SD if the gun you are launching it from chokes or is unreliable or too old for modern HP's. Otherwise an HP is really what should be the first choice for SD ammo even in so called "marginal calibers". Shooting and hitting any target with a pistol bullet is a crap shoot as to what the bullet is actually going to do and how the object is going to react. Pick a bullet you and your gun likes and is comfrotable with, train with it, load it and hope you never have to use it. Just my .02!
Old January 13, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
pilpens

There should not be an issue as long as both ammo can cycle the slide completely and both feed well.
Felt recoil may vary from shot to shot but it should not be a worry.

Somtimes, I do the same on my CCW: HP, FMJ, FMJ, HP, ...
Old January 13, 2011, 11:32 AM   #4
TacticalDefense1911

Aww yes the old "mixed salad" approach to loading a magazine. Like all things dealing with your self defense guns, try it in a controlled environment to see if it works in your gun before you bet your life on it.

Personally, the "mixed salad" approach never made any sense to me; if you dont trust a load in you gun because you dont think that it will penetrate enough to make you comfortable with it then why is it in your gun in the first place?
Old January 13, 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
hardhat harry

TD1911
+1
Old January 14, 2011, 08:21 AM   #6
OldskuleM1911

Been carrying a 1911 in condition 1 (one in the chamber) with staggered mags since the 70s for just the reason mentioned in the first post, A JHP is always the first in the lineup. No feed problems ever as the first round fed from the mag is a FMJ and its how I practice at the range so never any problems with accuracy or function. Just find the loads that you are happy with.