The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Is a Camo shotgun really worth it?

Is a Camo shotgun really worth the extra money? I have a Remington 870 and it's wood. I'm not a huge fan of Camo shotguns, but if it's better i might change my mind.
Old January 13, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2
BigJimP

what do you mean better .....better for what ...??? I don't understand your question ....
Old January 13, 2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Nick9130White

Oh, my mistake. Better for hunting.
Old January 13, 2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Death from Afar

I'm not convinced. Firslt, it is movement that scares animals and secondly, there are a lot of lost camo shotguns " WHere did i leave that thing...oh...."
Old January 13, 2011, 06:11 PM   #5
BigJimP

better for what kind of hunting ....??

Turkey, Ducks, Geese ....yes, camo is a factor / just like clothing is a factor.

For Deer - no, it won't matter a bit.

For upland birds - Pheasant, Grouse, Quail - No, it won't matter a bit....

But you can tape up a receiver and barrel / to make it less bright ...and a dull stock wood finish on an 870 isn't ever a problem for ducks or geese.
Old January 13, 2011, 06:14 PM   #6
hardworker

I'll put it this way. It won't hurt your gun to be less conspicuous.
Old January 13, 2011, 06:36 PM   #7
mwar410

Man I love the camo finish on my 391, it's not pretty, but it is the ultimate finish for a duck gun. I hunt seaducks and my 870 would just rust at the thought of going hunting. The only vurnerable spot for rust on the gun is the swivel and the rivot on the gas vent.
Old January 13, 2011, 07:57 PM   #8
HKGuns

Basically what Bigjim said. Depends on the game.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:14 PM   #9
DRT300

Much easier to clean.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:46 AM   #10
bamaranger

context

If you hunt critters where camo clothing is to your advantage, then a camo gun is more of same.

I've taped my old 870Mag for turkeys for so many years, its just part of the routine, but I coulda saved alot of money by purchasing a camo gun, or refinishing to something dull. Weren't any camo guns in those days.
Old January 14, 2011, 01:14 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am not convinced it is less visible to a critter. They generally are far glossier than the real foliage. If they were full matte finish then maybe.

But being a plastic coating, I guess it would be easier to clean and somewhat more abrasion resistant so this may be a nice feature.

Brent
Old January 14, 2011, 03:26 AM   #12
Scorch

Quote:
Is a Camo shotgun really worth the extra money?
Absolutely! All the animals have seen blued steel and wood by now, and they know what it means, but the camo confuses their natural skepticism and causes them to abandon their natural fear of the unknown. I am sure it has been written somewhere that they will approach without a care in the world, knowing full well that that "leafy thing" can't (and wouldn't) hurt them. They approach the new object, sure of their safety and secure in the knowledge that "leafy things" cannot be used hurt them under the Geneva Convention or something like that. And most deer have never read of a single instance of animal death attributed to a camo shotgun. So go ahead, buy a camoed gun, it will help the economy! And who knows, maybe you can get them to repeal the law of nature that says that movement is your enemy, not the color of your gun.

I can't believe I actually wrote that and clicked the "Submit Reply" button . . .
Old January 14, 2011, 08:23 AM   #13
Deerhunter

I would say yes it does. More important though is the kind of camo on the gun. You don't want anything that is going to produce a glare in the sun. This is especially true for ducks and geese. The Browning MaXus has a great finish that is durable and no glare. For upland birds your fine, but anything else if the sun hits it and it creates a shine it will key the game in on your location
Old January 14, 2011, 10:01 AM   #14
tynimiller

You give a good hunter a blaze orange, or yellow, or any color and they'll still be successful. Movement and not knowing when to get into position makes the biggest difference. Camo guns are just a way for manufacturors to make more money!
Old January 14, 2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Rifleman1776

The expensive camo options catch a lot of hunters.
That is it's main purpose.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:23 AM   #16
zippy13

Re: Scorch's post #12 -- ROFLMAO, Bravo Zulu
Old January 14, 2011, 11:40 AM   #17
Doyle

Quote:
You give a good hunter a blaze orange, or yellow, or any color and they'll still be successful.
Not if you are shooting doves, waterfowl, or turkeys.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:33 PM   #18
tynimiller

I'd take that bet!
Old January 14, 2011, 11:53 PM   #19
michael t

How did we hunt for last 100+ years with out all this camo stuff . been lots of turkey ,dove , ducks and so on killed with blue guns and no camo clothing .

I still know several old men in the 70's and early 80's in my area that hunt dove in folding chairs and normal clothing and old Winchester or Remington shot guns. Most get their limit also. .
Old January 15, 2011, 04:22 AM   #20
Uncle Buck

Do they still make the camo stocking for the gun? My brother in law uses one and it works great, just slips loosly over the gun.

I hate the tape. I have seen what it does to a finish when removed, or when it gets wet and the rust starts commong through the tape.
Old January 15, 2011, 04:44 AM   #21
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
Absolutely! All the animals have seen blued steel and wood by now, and they know what it means, but the camo confuses their natural skepticism and causes them to abandon their natural fear of the unknown. I am sure it has been written somewhere that they will approach without a care in the world, knowing full well that that "leafy thing" can't (and wouldn't) hurt them. They approach the new object, sure of their safety and secure in the knowledge that "leafy things" cannot be used hurt them under the Geneva Convention or something like that. And most deer have never read of a single instance of animal death attributed to a camo shotgun. So go ahead, buy a camoed gun, it will help the economy! And who knows, maybe you can get them to repeal the law of nature that says that movement is your enemy, not the color of your gun.
Yeah, sounds like when I went to the local gun store (LGS) looking for a turkey choke for my Mossberg 500a with 26" barrel.

Gun guy: What you have is a home defense gun. You need this (camo auto-loading just obscene $1400 gun)

Me: Really? So my 12ga won't kill a turkey as dead? Can that thing kill a turkey in all known dimensions of the space-time continuum?

Gun guy: UHHHH

Me: Yeah, just give me the choke.

Real answer - wrap it if you want, or buy a camo gun, but you're busted way before the turkey sees your gun. Practice your hunting technique...
Old January 15, 2011, 10:41 AM   #22
natman

A camo gun is not required to hunt anything. It helps you remain visually undetected. This is more important hunting some things than others.

I am amazed by some of the strange arguments that have been dredged up.

It won't help if you move. Gee, no kidding. It won't help if you set off fireworks, light fires or play heavy metal cranked up to 11 either.

They didn't have it 100 years ago. Things were different 100 years ago. Hunting pressure was much less. If one deer saw you, another would be along soon.

This particular argument has to be unique to hunters / gunners. Can you imagine some car guy arguing that you don't need electric start / disc brakes / air conditioning because they didn't have it 100 years ago and they still got around? Or a hi-fi fan saying that you don't need amplification and stereo speakers because the old hand cranked Victrola worked OK?
Old January 23, 2011, 01:36 AM   #23
silvrjeepr

The camo guns look great and are extremely durable as far as finish goes. That's about as far as it goes. Heck, I've been in a debate with a few buddies about a couple of camo patterns out that make you stand out like a neon sign at dusk due to the extremely light patches in them. I may do the red plaid and jeans thing next year just to prove things to myself.
Old January 23, 2011, 08:46 AM   #24
sirsloop

If you are going to be hunting foul them I'd say a camo shotgun is preferable. Camo EVERYTHING is preferable
Old January 23, 2011, 09:07 AM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
If you are going to be hunting foul
I will cry fowl on that one!

And I would have to point out that the depletion of duck, turkey and pheasant populations occurred before very many folks were trying any concealment products.

If wanted to hide, you assembled a blind consisting of flora from the area... "match the hatch" if you will... I bet it takes less time to build a ground blind for free than it takes to dial the phone and order clothing, guns or blind "material" from some where that has no idea what your immediate hunting area looks like.

I use camo... I reach into the muck and smear some on my exposed skin. And since my old flannel shirts carry 20 years of stains, they have their own "break up" pattern going...

Brent