The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 15, 1999, 01:45 AM   #1
deanf

I don't have much to spend on ammo. How many rounds should I expect to shoot in a match?

And . . . since I can't afford a lot of ammo, I consequently can't afford a lot of practice. Is there a place for me in IDPA if I rarely would practice outside a match situation?
Old July 15, 1999, 07:52 AM   #2
johnboy
Retired Screen Name

You darn right there is!! Go to the IDPA website, (www.idpa.com, I do not know how to make the link), local clubs and your state. Call them up, ask when there matches are, and how many rounds you need. For our club most matches are around 75 to 125 rounds. Do not concern yourself about not practicing before you get there. I have a full time job, three kids at the house, and I am into Scouting. The only time I have to shoot is at matches.

Do not worry about an approved holster, take what ever you have. Take three mags, or speed loaders if shooting revolver (just makes it easier on you). Just get out there and have fun. Everybody I have met at IDPA matches are friendly and would be more than willing to help you in any way they could.

Johnboy IDPA#02199

[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited July 15, 1999).]
Old July 15, 1999, 09:24 AM   #3
Mikey

Johnboy is right! Go have fun and learn from the better shooters. Experience is the best teacher and one day at an IDPA match is worth more than 5 solo trips to the range IMHO! The only matches I've been to that require more than 100 rounds are majors like State and National championships or big trophy matches.

Most of the folks that gripe about IDPA are more concerned with winning the match than learning and having fun. That's a shame - there are no prizes or money to win - go find a club in your area and join.

Sometimes you can find a club member that shoots the same caliber you do and they may be willing to reload for you. That can cut your costs enough to shoot more matches. We found guys willing to reload and formed little co-ops where everybody pitched in for the equipment and supplies and the fellow reloads for everybody.

Mikey
Old July 15, 1999, 02:17 PM   #4
HeadHunter

While you might not be able to practice much with live ammo, you can still do a lot of dry fire practice. It's free and to become a good shooter, you have to do lots of dry fire anyway.
Old July 15, 1999, 05:05 PM   #5
Crash

I'm also thinking about joining my local IDPA club in AL.

Thank you for making that decision a little easier.

Crash
Old July 15, 1999, 07:36 PM   #6
Greg Melcer

At our local IDPA matches, I see all types of shooters. You have your gamers (gotta admit that I am one), your tacticians, and then there are the folks that come out infrequently but seem to learn something everytime they shoot. One of the nicest things to see is when a newer shooter realizes the problems with some of the "tactics" they had learned from some movie or magazine.

If you can go to a match, do it. You'll meet kind, helpful people, and you'll learn something. Each time I shoot IDPA, I learn something new, or I reinforce what I've learned. Either way, I come out ahead.
Old July 18, 1999, 02:11 PM   #7
Rob Pincus

I will add another "Hell Yes" to this thread. I have not been around IDPA much, but from what I have seen any club would be much better served by having a guy like you show up than some X-ring hero with his own "special recipe" loads and $2500 gun.
Old July 29, 1999, 04:03 PM   #8
Covert Mission

PLEASE..come on out and shoot!

There is the intimidation factor, and I've felt it, esp. visiting a new range. We lose some newcomers to it, although my range has some of the friendliest, most helpful veterans you could meet. I learned a lot in a short time, and the're very kind when I humble myself on the firing line!

Shoot 9mm... you can buy factory reloads (fmj) at the gunshows for +- $80/1000 rds.

We shoot some very creative stages, many with concealment mandatory or optional. Some shooters game it up, but that's their choice and you can't totally eliminate it.

Bottom line: It's lots of fun, you learn a lot just by watching, and even more by doing. Don't forget your dryfire/holster work (unloaded!) at home in front of the TV or the cat ;-) Takes about 3000 repetitions to acquire muscle memory of a movement. It helps a lot.

If you're ever in SoCAL, check out The ISI range. www.isishootists.com

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited July 29, 1999).]
Old July 29, 1999, 04:45 PM   #9
johnboy
Retired Screen Name

Thanks covert, yes come on out. Last week our club, Middle Tennessee Shooters in Manchester , TN, had an open house. We set up three stages.

Stage one, pistol basics, no clock. How to load a pistol, chamber, aim, and fire. Shoot till empty. Shot at 3, 5, and 10 yards.

Stage two, basics from drawing from a holster and a reload with retention. This time we ran a clock. Went over the commands, how to go at the beep, shoot, reload, show clear and reholster.

Stage three, a real scenario. Multiple targets at multiple ranges, got to move, reload, shooting from behind cover, and moving targets.

Everybody had a great time. IDPA is a great way to improve the way you shoot, and you will meet a lot of good people. If you live anywhere close to us, or far if you want to make the drive, we would be more than happy to have you come out and shoot with us.

Johnboy IDPA#A02199
Old August 3, 1999, 12:32 PM   #10
Paul B.

This all sounds good, but I do have a question. Being on a limited,(fixed) income, who picks up my brass after I've shot? I realize this may sound a little silly, maybe even pennywise and pound foolish, but I just had to ask.
Paul B.
Old August 3, 1999, 05:07 PM   #11
johnboy
Retired Screen Name

I mark my brass, and so does everybody else in my club. We pick up our brass.

I can not tell you about other clubs, but the only time we have lost brass matches is for trophy and state matches. Other than that, if you shot with us, you would get your brass back.

Johnboy IDPA#A02199