and my wife. As far as other circumstances, I just decide to avoid trouble,
avoid dangerous places & time. My job does not entail much travel and
the place I live is not that dangerous. Any car and home defense only
users out there?
Old June 10, 2007, 10:26 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I just decide to avoid trouble, avoid dangerous places & time.
Do this all the time and you won't need a gun unless you're at home (maybe not even there since you live in an area that's not that dangerous). Unless, of course you're not 100% accurate at determining dangerous places and times...
Old June 11, 2007, 12:30 AM   #3
obxned

The very best that anyone can do is reduce the chances of being where something bad happens. BG's can go anywhere, anytime, so never say never.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old June 11, 2007, 01:49 AM   #4
MacGille

I agree, I don't carry anymore and I don't miss it. I can take my chances for the rest of my life. I've made it for 68 years now and only had to shoot two people.( while I was a cop) Live a normal life, stay out of bad areas and mind your own business and you have little to fear. drive away, or run away from trouble, use the cel phone and check 6. Trouble usually finds those who look for it.

Be prepared to defend yourself, but that doesn't necessarily mean carrying a gun. I keep a loaded 12 ga. at home but I don't carry in my car.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old June 11, 2007, 02:24 AM   #5
BillCA

If you keep one in the car, bring it into the house with you at night and take it out the to car when leaving. This way, if the car is burglarized or stolen, you haven't provided some BG with a gun. While it could happen while you're away from home your discovery time will probably be faster and there may be security cameras to catch the event.

Your choice, of course, and your decision to make. Though I would refer you to the case of Luby's cafeteria where Dr. Suzanna Hupp was eating with her parents. Safe place, until a whackjob went on a killing spree. Dr. Hupp's pistol was in her car 30 yards away, but it might as well have been 300 miles away because she could not get to it.
Old June 11, 2007, 05:15 AM   #6
seeker_two

enikkor: I'm in the same boat. Because of my job (working with clients with serious mental health issues), I can't carry a gun on my person at all. But I do keep one in my vehicle where clients can't get to it "just in case"....

Also, just because I don't always carry a gun doesn't mean I don't have other options. When away from the job, I keep a folding knife clipped in my waistband under my shirt, and I have OC spray attached to my cell phone pouch.

Always keep your options open.....
Old June 11, 2007, 04:27 PM   #7
Tanzer

While I do carry because I feel I have a need, I repsect the idea. I am trained in other forms of self defense. As a Karate instructor (years ago when my body could take the punshment) I robbed the words of Mr. Miagi from "The Karate Kid"; "Danielsan, First rule of self defense, you no be there". I added; If you are there, get out. If you can't leave, Be a good talker.
Godspeed!
Old June 11, 2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Manedwolf

Quote:
As far as other circumstances, I just decide to avoid trouble,
avoid dangerous places & time.
I wonder if the guy whose throat was slashed by an attacker in the driveway of his expensive home in Georgetown thought that? He was in a nice place, in front of his expensive home. Safe, right?
Quote:
Three assailants who cut the throat of an aspiring politician from Britain killed him and tried to rape his female companion early yesterday in the driveway of a Georgetown mansion, police reported, after the couple had returned from a night at the movies.
I always carry when out. There is no "dangerous places"...bad guys do not stay in them. They come to the good places to take things from good people. That's why they're bad guys.
Old June 11, 2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Michael Anthony

This is all you can do if you don't have a CWP, were denied one or are awaiting yours. It is your personal choice and you can take the criticism from gun-toters for what it's worth. I personally put a lot of thought into my setup while I awaited my permit.

All I will say is it will be very heartbreaking to need it and not have it. Especially when it is ten feet away from you.

It does allow you, however to select larger (size and perhaps caliber) guns for these purposes. If climate is an issue select a gun for the car that isn't also a show-piece. Temperatures in a car can soar in hot weather. A revolver or inexpensive auto with a good track record for reliability. Switch your ammo out often, spend some time at the range and clean your gun often to make sure it still functions.

I kept an XD with a Streamlight TLR-1 in the glovebox and a cheapo shotgun (maverick 88) in the trunk. Also a glock or any reliable revolver would be a good glove box gun.
Old June 11, 2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Agios

With all of the available light subcompact 9mms, 380s, 32s, 25s, 22 magnums and 22 longs, there's no reason, other than personal preference (which I respect) not to always carry something on your person. Quick story... a few years back, on a tank top type summer night, I was confronted by a bowie knife wielding bg in the parking lot of a respectable summer spot. Luckily, I had thrown my NAA 22 magnum mini revolver in my shorts' pocket. When I drew, cocked it and leveled it at him, he changed his tune and started back pedalling. Sure, it's only a 5-shot NAA 22 magnum mini revolver but if he had attacked me I'd rather "deal" with him after I pumped him with 5 22 winchester magnum bullets than without. In any case my tiny NAA 22 magnum mini revolver quickly detered him. If I wasn't carrying that night, God only knows how my night would of ended.
Old June 11, 2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Dr. S. Gratia-Hupp led the fight for the CHL in TX as her gun was in the car during the Kileen Luby's rampage. She could have saved her family but was without a gun.

That is my opinion on the issue.
Old June 11, 2007, 09:55 PM   #12
LonelyAtTheTop

Louisiana allows carry in the car and home without a permit. I am doing both with a recently purchased Ruger SP101 3" .38/.357 loaded with stout .38 spl loads. Motivated as much as anything by the thought that theft is less likely the closer the weapon is to me. I finally realized the weapon was better off in the car than a cheap safe at home. Not to mention the feeling I am at least somewhat protected in this post Katrina landscape if the weapon is nearby. Employer restrictions prohibit carry in the workplace. I'm ok with that as I am close to retirement anyway and the risk of workplace violence is acceptable to me by current calculations. This could be wrong. Like others have stated, my lifestyle is so sedate as to bore a BG to death before a weapon would need to be procured. This hopefully allows time for further study and training in handgun use and legal issues. If not, send flowers to "You chose poorly, Mr. Lonely." In the meantime, situational awareness and internet lurking will have to suffice.