The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2000, 06:00 PM   #1
faiello5

Anyone use 200g LSWC for pins? How do they work. I am using 231 @ an OAL of 1.250. What would a good charge of the 231 be for the pins? Thanks.

Regards,
Frank

Old September 5, 2000, 07:24 PM   #2
capbuster

I have not shot bowling pins in years. at that time I used cast 230grain rn bullets and 5.8grs of ww231. that load did a good job. You might try 5.4grains of ww231 with your 200 grain bullet. I use this load with cast swc bullets and it may be what you are looking for. good luck.

------------------

cliff
Old September 5, 2000, 09:22 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Frank--

The loads cited by capbuster look pretty good, though perhaps a trifle mild to move the pins off the table with alacrity. You can load up to 6.3 gr. of 231 with 200 gr. jacketed bullets if you wish, and lead bullets yield lower pressure.

You sound satisfied with 231. If you happen to have a lot of Unique on hand, 6.5 gr gives 890 with 200 LSWC in my 5-inch bbl 1911s. 5.0 gr of Universal Clays goes about 860 and should shoot a little cleaner.

Any of these loads should be nicely controllable, with appreciably less recoil than full power 230 RN loads, plus has the sharp shoulder and flat meplat to dig into the slick finish of the pins, rather than sliding off.

Best of luck with the pins. Shoot carefully--they can be nasty when wounded.
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

[This message has been edited by Johnny Guest (edited September 05, 2000).]