The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 9, 2006, 01:44 AM   #1
lil_bro

.22lr enough for beaver??

My friend has a lot of beavers in his pond and in a few weeks we are going to his place to get a many as we can.My question is how well will a .22lr work on them??I was thinking about using CCI Velocitor's.

And so we don't waste anything are beavers edible??

Thanks.
Michael.
Old August 9, 2006, 02:20 AM   #2
Twycross

I'm sure that with excellent (head)shot placement, a .22LR could take down a beaver. I believe beavers get to around 35 lb on average. If that is what you want to use, then go with it.

I guess it would depend on whether or not you want the pelts. If so, then the .22LR and headshots would be a fine choice. If this is just pest control, I would step up to something on the order of a .223.

I have never heard of eating beavers. Just out of curiosity, what kind or regulations do you have for hunting them?
Old August 9, 2006, 07:21 AM   #3
VirgilCaine

It's illegal to shoot them here in Michigan beacuse it's very hard to get a good kill shot. You will rarely catch them out of the water during daylight, and they are one tough critter. Trapping is the best way for both beaver and hunter. The pelts are awsome, and the meat is alot like pork. I slow cook it in a crock pot, add BBQ sauce and pile it high on a bun with a thick slice of sweet onion. Now, thats eatin' some beaver

If you have to shoot them, catch them on thier slides early morning or just at dark and use a .22 mag minimum. 60lb beavers are not at all uncommon, and the hide is very thick. .223 or 22-250 would dispatch one very well. Don't waste the meat.

Good luck
Old August 9, 2006, 07:58 AM   #4
maas

Ive taken many with a 22 lr, but its more fun to shoot them with hot 45 colt rounds and see them do a back flip

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 9, 2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Oregongundude

Beavers can be hard to take down with .22 lr

I was wondering one morning if I could kill one with a 9 mm Glock 17 when I was close to being attacked by one in the early morning steelhead fishing on a river close to where I live. Here in Oregon they can get up to 80 pounds some times and they can be quite nasty at certain times of the years. I didn't have to shoot it, so I never found out if my 9 mm would kill it effectively. I figured it would if needed. I'm not sure if the beavers, or the river otters are more aggresive. I have shot a river otter that acted real aggressive toward me and my fishing party and wouldnt leave us alone. I finally shot it when it tryed to bite my daughter and started to chase us. It seemed sick or something. My 9mm glock 17 dropped the river otter with one shot.

Last edited by Oregongundude; August 9, 2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old August 9, 2006, 11:52 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

No. Not with body shots; .22lr is pretty marginal on those fat little critters. With headshots, yes.

Edible, yes, quite!
Old August 9, 2006, 12:04 PM   #7
davlandrum

Check your regs!

Don't get your guns confiscated and your hunting privledges taken away because you pop something that you are not supposed to. I think in Oregon, all the fur-bearer regs are in the trapping regulations, and that is a whole seperate can of worms. I have thought on and off about getting a trapping license so I can take furbearers, but not seriously enought to weed through the red tape involved.
Old August 9, 2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Anthony Terry

I'd say you be better off with a .22 mag. Or even better with some good trapping skills. theyre not hard to trap if you set up in the right places. Slides and trails and such. They cut deep trails thru the thich sawgrass around here.
Old August 9, 2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Mikeyboy

There about the same size as PA groundhogs. I'd say .22 are for head shots only, .22 mag or .223 should do otherwise.

Quote:
Now, thats eatin' some beaver
This is a gun forum right.
Old August 9, 2006, 02:30 PM   #10
Oregongundude

I think they should let us trap them in Oregon.

Everytime I go fishing now I see like five different beavers on the rivers where I fish and there everywhere and not to friendly to fishman most of the time. Of most of the time they just swim bye you and then slap their tail hard on the water to warn other beavers and then dive under water nothing like scaring all the fish away. I have had a few of them growl at me and show there teeth at me. The last encounter that I mentioned in this thread I though for sure it was going to attack me with those teeth that cut trees down and it was a real big one. I pulled my glock 17 9mm(my primary carry handgun at this time) out and pointed it at him and he disengagement me and jumped back into the water. Like he knew what was coming next. They look a lot bigger when there out of the water, I usually have problems with them just around daybreak.

Weird experience with river rodents. In addition, were starting to see more seals in the rivers now when the salmon run upsteam. The seals, and sea lions are chasing the salmon over 100 miles up into the rivers. I think the animal rights people have taken this protect the animal thing a little to far here in Oregon. I think there are more beavers, river otters, and now seals, and sea lions in are rivers than fish sometimes. I think a 9 mm would kill a beaver, even a big one with a couple of shots. Becauses of the laws here in this state I would only shoot one if tried to attack me.

Maybe, I can start save the fish movement.

I know why they call this the beaver State, their coming out of the woodwork, same with that nasty Nuria there everywhere now also.

Sorry, I ranted a little off topic.

Last edited by Oregongundude; August 10, 2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old August 9, 2006, 04:51 PM   #11
lil_bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twycross
Just out of curiosity, what kind or regulations do you have for hunting them?
The regs are not very clear but from what I read that can by traped/hunted all year round but they cannot be traped/hunted on PHA's or WMA's from the first day of deer archery to the ninth day of deer gun season.Snice I don't really understand the regs i will have to talk to a game warden.

I guess instead of using a .22 I could use my Hi-Point 9mm carbine.

Thanks for the info.
Michael.
Old August 9, 2006, 08:04 PM   #12
Anthony Terry

Definatly use the 9mm carbine. Those shoot awesome dont they? Ive tried one out and shot inside 2in at 50 yds freehand and open sights.
Old August 9, 2006, 08:43 PM   #13
rem33

If you want the hide/fur wait till winter.
Old August 9, 2006, 09:13 PM   #14
FirstFreedom

li'l bro, you are in the same state as me, and you may be right on that, but if so, then I was wrong. I was under the understanding that in OK, beaver, being considered a nuisance species, can be hunted 365 days a year, along with coyote, feral hogs, and nutria. But I know that hogs have special rules on certain WMAs (on some, can only hunt hogs during deer gun season, and on others, can only use centerfire rifles during deer gun season, and rest of year, must use rifle legal for other game, such as rimfires & shotguns for squirrels). So I don't doubt your info there. There's too many beaver where I hunt, so I try to shoot them when I can. Plus, yep they slap the water all the time even in the dark when you're around - scares the crap outta me and hacks scares off the deer & other game. But I concur, .22 mag and up; ideally .223 +.
Old August 9, 2006, 11:36 PM   #15
lil_bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Terry
Those shoot awesome dont they?...
O yeah I love mine I get 5 shots touching at 20yds.

Michael.
Old August 10, 2006, 08:54 AM   #16
stevelyn

Having hunted (spring time only) and trapped beavers, a .22 is plenty as long as you make head shots.

Beaver meat is very good eating. Make sure you get all the fat off of it when butchering. The gf's family hangs them in the smokehouse for a few days to half-dry prior to cooking them. They should be quartered and elevated in the roaster for cooking to allow the fat and juices to drip away from the meat. Serve with mustard and sauerkraut.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old August 11, 2006, 01:10 PM   #17
davlandrum

OGD - I agree things are getting almost too "in balance". The seals and sea lions are just plain out of control. I like the otters and beavers around, but have not had one act aggressive yet. Nutria on the other had are large, non-native rats and are infinitely killable. I like to think of them as furry walking targets.
Old August 11, 2006, 08:06 PM   #18
moose fat

.22 head shots, behind the ear, around dusk (for the thread)(off the thread) any more beaver recipes?

Eskimo stir fry;
beaver meat fried w/worchestershire and soy sauce
served w/rice and canned veggies
Old August 12, 2006, 01:46 AM   #19
UniversalFrost

22 is good for up close head shots, but I would go with the 9mm hipoint you have instead. I have taken them even with an 17HMR, but it was up close adn head shot. If you don't kill them you will piss them off and they will come after you.

Beaver is edible and the pelts are worth some money in season.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 12, 2006, 04:07 AM   #20
Doubletaptap

.22 is excellent for beaver. I have gotten my share when living up north!!!
Old August 20, 2006, 11:05 PM   #21
guntotin_fool

we just use a little RDX..... they just float up to the top then
Old August 21, 2006, 12:06 AM   #22
garyfdl

Quote:
The seals, and sea lions are chasing the salmon over 100 miles up into the rivers. I think the animal rights people have taken this protect the animal thing a little to far
I'm a charter member of PETA (People Enjoying Tasty Animals) and I have a question regarding the seals/sea lions. Did you ever wonder if there are fewer fish?

"Ya ain't never smelled diesel 'till you snorkel a submarine in a tail wind."
Old August 21, 2006, 02:18 AM   #23
moose fat

I thought it was People Eating Tastey Animals.

Beavers on the Yukon and tributaries and sloughs are becoming an infestation, THE CYCLE.?

The seals and beluga whale have been chasing salmon way up the Yukon. More fish for them to chase and feed on.
Except here they're toast. The word gets out and there will be a few guys chasing them down, subsistance.

Eskimo Stir fry: seal meat wtih equal parts soy and worchestershire sauce,
Rice and canned green beans,
And Tang and Pilot Bread and dry fish or strips.
Old August 21, 2006, 09:40 AM   #24
garyfdl

Quote:
I thought it was People Eating Tastey Animals
Nah, that's a scab organization. We were here first. And besides their recipes suck. :barf: Your stir fry one looks good though. Think I'll go down to the zoo in Milwaukee (about midnight).

Beaver here can be a nuisance, but they're not a major problem. There was one that dammed a creek across the road from where I worked, in an urban area 20 miles out of downtown Milwaukee. They relocated it under an urban renewal program. Our biggest headaches are flying carp (Canada geese) and hoofed rats (whitetail deer).

I was curious about the seal/fish relationship because the reports I've seen seem to indicate declining fish stocks in many areas. It seems logical that the predators would follow the prey further if they could not get enough due to fewer prey and/or greater competition. It's just a casual observation, I'm not looking for debate.

By the way, I have seen several recipes for beaver. Considering we eat squirrel, rabbit and woodchuck I can't imagine it would be too bad if properly prepared.

"Ya ain't never smelled diesel 'till you snorkel a submarine in a tail wind."
Old August 21, 2006, 12:54 PM   #25
Oregongundude

There are fewer salmon in the ocean.

I believe the Seals/Sea lions are following the salmon up the Columbia river here in Oregon because there are fewer and fewer salmon for them to eat in the oceans. My main concern is that Killer whales, and great white sharks feed on the seals are they going to chase the seals up the rivers as well. I don't think sharks can survive in fresh water very long, and that's a good thing. Killer whales are mammals, like seals/Sea lions and can survive in fresh water, can't imagine fishing in the Columbia river and having a Killer Whale swimming by me when i'm fishing over 100 miles up river away from the ocean. Now, that would be a real surprise.

In some ways I'm beginning to think that the only real fish remaining in the Ocean are being produce in fish hatcheries and that why the seal/sea lions are chasing them up stream.

Hopefully Mother nature can do her balancing act because we sure are blowing it when it's in are hands.

Here's a link that talked about the problem in more detail.

http://www.localfishermannews.com/news_releases/anglers_sea_lion_problems_04.pdf#search='seals%20in%20the%20columbia%20river'

Last edited by Oregongundude; August 21, 2006 at 01:09 PM. Reason: incomplete