The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2006, 07:27 PM   #1
harry27

Mossberg Mariner questions

I need a marine shotgun and there are a couple of things I haven't been able to find out. I hope someone here can help.

1. What is the weight difference between the 590 and the 590A1, with the same bbl lengths? I know the A1 has some heavier parts, but I can't seem to find any specs on this. Are they both heavier than the 500?

2. Is there a problem with the rust resistance of a Mossberg in a salt water environment? I've heard hints that all the internal steel parts aren't treated, and that Marinecote is less rustproof than stainless. (even though stainless isn't really rustproof in salt spray)

This gun will be in a situation where it's very subject to loss or theft, so I'd rather not spring for an 870.

Thanks in advance for any information.

H.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:44 PM   #2
WillBrayjr

Mossbergs aren't much cheaper than Remingtons. Depending on barrel length, mag tube length, and the type of stocks, They will weigh the same give or take an ounce or two. To make the whole shotgun virtually rust proof you would have to get it refinished.

Since they're around the same price, I recommend you chack out the Benelli Nova.
Old March 18, 2006, 09:56 AM   #3
mjolnir

1. If you mean 590A1 with heavy wall barrel and metal trigger guard, of course it's going to be heavier...you'd have to weigh to find out by how much. Of course, a 590A1 is not plated.

And they're both heavier than a 18" 500, because of the longer barrels and mag tubes.

2. All metal parts of a Mariner are plated. It's an electroless nickel with impregnated teflon, and is MORE rust resistant than stainless steel.

It's not called the "Mariner" for nothing.
Old March 21, 2006, 03:32 PM   #4
seabat

winchester makes a stainless marine

you might wanna look into a winchester marine. they hold up to salt water best and dont cost an arm and a leg.
Old March 22, 2006, 11:44 AM   #5
harry27

Yeah, I looked at the Winchester pictures, I've never handled one. It might be a possibility if I can find some feedback about their durability and if the prices haven't gone up too much since they announced that they were stopping production. The reason I asked about the Mossberg and the 870 is that I'd rather stay with what I'm familiar with. I haven't shot a Winchester pump since they made the Model 12.

How do we know the Winchester is best in salt water?
Old March 22, 2006, 12:09 PM   #6
9mm_prn

Just wondering. Are you planning on storing your shotgun on a boat?

I have been considering keeping one on my sailboat when we get one (still a couple years off).

I'm sort of partial to the mossberg with the line launcher set up and the "less than lethal" orange stocks.
Old March 22, 2006, 12:27 PM   #7
harry27

Not store it on a boat, but keep it near salt water where even the moist air is mildly corrosive, and use it on a boat from time to time. People sometimes do store them aboard, though, I'm pretty sure.