The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 17, 2002, 10:58 AM   #1
redneck

"Accidental" shooting, stupid news cast, stupid NRA instructor

Wonderful story on the news this morning :barf:
A woman shot a 22 month old girl in the stomach with a pellet/BB gun (they called it by both names several times in the story), only know that it was a multi pump/pneumatic for sure. Her excuse is that she was putting it away and thought that the safety was on :barf:
The baby is hospitalized with life threatening injuries.
Police are calling it an accident and aren't pressing charges.

Next comes in the so called "firearms expert", an NRA instructor (who works behind the sporting goods counter at walmart, where the interview was done) Who starts out OK saying that a BB gun isn't a toy, and that they can be dangerous. Then he calls it a DANGEROUS FIREARM , the news anchor repeats that a few times as he rambles on about how he made the same mistake thinking it wasn't dangerous, when it REALLY IS CONSIDERED A FIREARM . They closed saying that in order to be safe you should have parental supervision, and that you should know your weapon.

How can that idiot be an NRA instructor? If he was really an expert he would have known they weren't talking about a firearm. And if he's really an instructor, and was interested in giving all those safety tips, why didn't he just give the 4 rules and explain how the woman had pretty much broke all of them ?
Old December 17, 2002, 11:16 AM   #2
Sisco

I know the teminology isn't correct, but some people probably interchange the words weapon, gun & firearm. Just like clip & magazine, revolver & pistol, Pepsi & Coke.
Old December 17, 2002, 12:25 PM   #3
spacemanspiff

in some cases, pellet/bb guns are considered to be 'firearms', especially if they are spring loaded. its confusing, but at least in my town that is why they are considered as firearms and its 'illegal' to shoot them in city limits.

doesnt make a lick of sense.
Old December 17, 2002, 12:58 PM   #4
glockten

Quote:
why didn't he just give the 4 rules and explain how the woman had pretty much broke all of them?
It's possible that he did, but it was edited out of the final broadcast.
Old December 17, 2002, 01:30 PM   #5
dev_null

In many locations, the legal definition of 'firearm' includes airguns, paintguns, and certain other non-ignition weapons. Go figure.

-0-
Old December 17, 2002, 03:02 PM   #6
redneck

Well, maybe in some places, but not here. The guy works in a store where anyone over 18 can buy an airgun, with no paperwork etc., thats in a city where you can legally shoot an airgun inside city limits.

Its not a huge deal, and its not a surprise. But it would be nice if the guy would have gotten the facts straight. You call it a firearm on TV, and talk about how everyone is buying them for their kids as toys, and all of the sudden people are raging for better gun control cause walmart has a children's guns section

Its misleading about the actual laws for the area in question. Just because some cities are dumb enough to consider it a firearm doesn't mean we should all just follow their policy.
Old December 17, 2002, 05:28 PM   #7
yzguy

Paint ball guns considered fire arms!?!?!? Come on... I mean I know it's not exactly a toy, but the point of it is to shoot someone else with it in a game!!! I guess there are no paint ball fields in that city....
Old December 17, 2002, 06:44 PM   #8
madkiwi

SK & Dev_null

I don't care what some people call a firearm, an NRA Certified instructor should never call it a WEAPON.

That was drummed into me in my instructor's class, our Counselor encouraged everyone to ridicule anyone who slipped up and used the W word.

Shame can be a powerful teaching aid!

It is a pity this guy forgot that lesson.

madkiwi