The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 8, 2000, 08:36 AM   #1
ChrisR246

Twoblinks post got me thinking. Can the safety on a right handed 870 be reversed to work for a lefty?

I was considering having the barrels shortened on my sxs to use as a HD gun. But then I started thinking... an 870 would be preferable with 18" or 20" barrel, a used would fit my budget and right handed is more common. It would also give me a slug gun for deer.

Any thought/comments would be appreciated.
Old November 8, 2000, 09:16 AM   #2
PJR

Try this one:
http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/...ML/001572.html
Old November 8, 2000, 09:44 PM   #3
Nevada Fitch

I don't think you can change the factory safety over to left.I am left handed and have bought lefthand safeties from a gunsmith on at least 3 ocasions for the Remington crossbolt type safety.I have had good luck with the Rem.1100 and good luck with an old 870 2-3/4 chamber gun.But bought a 3 inch Mag 870.this was a very nice gun not the cheap hardwood stock model.This gun turned out to be a Jamming piece of junk.I sent it back to the factory 3 times and they never got it fixed.their waranty dept is a joke.I though I would mention this since you are left handed.Even though I have shot a pump a fair amount with the older gun without any problems. I believe that being left handed made the problem worse on the 3 inch gun because I have a friend who eventually bought this gun and does not have much trouble with it.he is right handed.At any rate the gun is far too marginal as far as reliabilty is concerned for me.
Old November 9, 2000, 09:15 AM   #4
ChrisR246

Thanks for the input.
Old November 9, 2000, 10:29 AM   #5
Jhp147

Adding to PJR's link: I talked to a Remington factory sales rep a year or two ago and asked him the question. He said that "I didn't tell you this for obvious liability reasons, but yes, it can." This was before the PC guns came out, so it may not still be true. I'm thinking I saw the service of switching the safety over in a Wilson Combat catalog, but I'm not 100% sure. I decided that if I buy, I'll just get the lefty version to start with and plan on keeping it. Now gotta find out if the police version (not HD) comes in lefty.

------------------
Shamans emerge whenever certain needs remain unanswered...Mark Levy