The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 22, 2017, 01:23 PM   #1
rjinga

Wolf WPA Polyformance .308 Ammunition

At $0.36 a round, I decided to give Wolf WPA Polyformance .308 (145 grain, FMJ) ammunition a try. I've got a PTR 91 GI rifle, and according to my quick google search before I ordered, cycling the ammo shouldn't be an issue. The 500 rounds were just delivered today, and I hope to make it out to the range later this week. Once I do, I'll post an update.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old May 22, 2017, 06:55 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Interested to see how it performs.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 23, 2017, 04:36 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

Also interested. Post link?
Old May 23, 2017, 09:05 PM   #4
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16
Also interested. Post link?
http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-wi...mance-or-milit

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old May 28, 2017, 09:33 PM   #5
HankC1

Bolt guns and delayed blowback such as G3/PTR maybe OK, I would not shoot steel case 308 in gas guns.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415253
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176323
Old May 28, 2017, 10:08 PM   #6
Model12Win

Why? ^
Old May 29, 2017, 10:25 AM   #7
precision_shooter

Nothing wrong with running steel cases ammo from a gas operated gun vs any other type. Early lacquer coated steel cases ammo caused some issues with cases sticking in chambers. Newer non lacquer coated steel cases ammo doesn't have that problem. Only issue I've seen, is when switching between steel and brass cased. Steel cases don't expand as well as brass and leaves a build up of crud on the chamber, so when switching to brass could cause a tight chamber where rounds won't chamber or cases get tight/stuck in the chamber.

Clean the chamber well after shooting steel cased and you shouldn't have any issues.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 29, 2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Model12Win

Yeah sounds like more anti steel case drivel from the brass case elitists.

Listen, Tulammo has steel cased .308 for $0.31 per round. The next closest brass cased round is $0.50 per round.

I am not made of money but want to enjoy shooting battle rifles, therefore steel cased ammo makes sense and I have never had a problem with it in any of my guns and most of the myths surrounding it have been proven false.
Old May 30, 2017, 04:17 PM   #9
HankC1

Quote:
most of the myths surrounding it have been proven false.
More than a few documented cases at semi-auto 308 forums such as FAL or M14 forums. Many never have a problem, but don't ignore it especially if you shoot in 308 semi-auto gas guns with strong extraction, some 308 semi-auto are over-gas or out of time and steel case is more prone to it. Some manufacturers void warranty if shooting steel cases. I shoot a lot of steel case ammo in 7.62x39 and 5.56, but not in my 308 AR, FAL and M14. As to the price, 36C/round is not worth it while brass case is reloadable. Not intent to start a steel case vs brass case war, just saying be careful.