The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 30, 2017, 11:58 PM   #1
Berserker

Remington 760

Continuing discussing about the Remington 760, after rudely interrupted.

I was shooting necked sized 700s in a 760, for three reason. Curious if it would work. It did fine. 2nd I had alot of primed neck sized brass for the 700. 3rd I had just cleaned the barrel, and I was working up loads and wanted to foul it.

I was not using neck sized ammo to check loads. I just had a few left over.

I have been on the fence about fouling a barrel after cleaning. But it took 4 rounds to settle down. I have taken rifles that were hosed in the summer, and shot in the fall, first shots touched. That was months later.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=52

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...=412427&page=2

Last edited by Berserker; May 1, 2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:01 AM   #2
Berserker

Hunter powder is about 10k higher psi than IMR 4350. I didn't try the Hunter loads in a bolt. But when I was 1.5 grains from max, I got cases that were very hard to remove.

Would be little curious to see if a bolt could extract them. Maybe a conrolled feed mauser style. Maybe any bolt. Maybe something was off with my loads. They were shorter than the manual.

This is why we work up the loads.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:07 AM   #3
Berserker

Lots of talk about the rattle of the 760, mixed discussion on how to take it apart.

Will most likely need a torch for the red locktite. Models vary. Mine only the wood forearm came off with bolt. Some are similar to shotguns. 3/16 punch, in one side out the other. I also drilled mine to 1/4, for a stiffer punch. I had to do alot of sanding after this to smooth the action.

Replace the oring, and perfect. After a 100 or so rounds, mine is loos again. Probably should have lubed it. I was using hardware store orings. When ordering from Midway, I did get a Remington oring.

I was getting 1" on first 2 shots, after that they opened up. Even with taking breaks between 4 shot powder groups. IMR4350, worked well. None of the powder loads stood out alot. Maybe a grain or 1.5 off max. I think would need to test past 100 yards to really know.

Hope this helps someone who discovers this 10 years or 50 on a google search.