The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2016, 05:05 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Savage Model 36 22 LR

I'm working on a Sears M2200 (better known as the Savage Model 36) bolt action rfle. It had trouble with extraction/ejection which was taken care of. I had disassembled the bolt and after it was reassembled, found that the bolt handle flopped loosely. You can still unlock, pull the bolt back and lower the bolt, but when it is lowered, the bolt handle can be moved freely (up & down). There's no tension to keep it closed. Any insights?

BTW Numrich catalog page 985 illustrates it.

ETA: Eamining the image, I installed the bolt collar (part 2) on backwards.That would explain why there's enough space for the bolt to flop around loosely.
Old March 25, 2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Did you get the snap ring back in it correctly? There is also the bolt collar, and the key. I've not took one of those apart in a while. One or all of those parts supposed to lock the handle to the bolt body, as it is keyed to it, if I remember.

That is the hammer fired bolt action?
Old March 25, 2016, 07:51 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

It is indeed hammer fired.

Snap ring slips onto the bolt collar.

Sequence of reassembly (after extractors are installed):

1) bolt hande
2) striker
3) dust cover (with long portion facing toward rear)
4) bolt collar with nib facing toward rear
5) snap ring (which fits into the grove cut into bolt collar)
Old March 26, 2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The back end of the collar of the bolt handle has a notch at the bottom doesn't it? It seems that I recall something that supposed to fit within that, but like I say, it's been a good while since I laid eyes on one of these. I don't have a manual around to take a looksie at it right at the moment. This is a gun that I've only worked on maybe two of, and it is hard to recall how it went together.

I'll try to see if I can find anything on it on Monday, when I dig out an assembly manual. What manual are you using for it now?
Old March 27, 2016, 12:04 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Dixie there's a little protrusion/stub on the bolt collar.

As for manual, I didn't have one or even a parts diagram when I started.
Old March 29, 2016, 12:26 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looked at it again today. Bolt collar was installed correctly. The only time the bolt collar would bear against the bolt is when the bolt is pulled all the way to the rear where it would strike the receiver extension.

Still trying to figure out why that bolt handle was so loose. Were the bolt handles staked onto the bolt?
Old April 1, 2016, 07:59 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I spoke with a professor of fyre-arms and he suggested that the dust cover (not the proper name) had more spring tension and that to correct the flopping bolt handle, to shim it.
Old April 2, 2016, 02:34 AM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Gary,

Sorry, I've been gone, and had a touch of the flu.

Did you get this going?
Old April 2, 2016, 10:21 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Glad you're feeling better.

Just when everyone thought we were having an early spring, we got about a foot of snow. Brrrrr. After that snow melted (a couple of days), we had another dusting. One thing about this place is that the temperature can drop twenty degrees F in a minute and it is easy to catch cold or get sick if one isn't prepared.

The fyre-arm never left the store and I worked on it there. The store owner took it home to test it before I could shim it. I would have found a washer that fit and surface ground it or alternatively, found some brass shim stock, sandwich it between two steel plates and drilled it out to the right diameter. Then it's a matter of shaping it (as a unit) reasonably round for installation around where the bolt dust cover (not the right factory name) goes. Can't do it now unless the store owner brings it back.

Gary
Old April 2, 2016, 11:47 AM   #10
tangolima

Hmm.. The handle is the rifle's lock lug. It should bear against the recess in the receiver when it is down. If it is flopping in its down position, it is not locking. Could it be a headspace problem?

Shimming the handle back to make contact with the receiver is one way to fix it. But it is not my favorite, at least not with brass. It is too soft. I like tig welding the back of the handle, draw back, and refit.

-TL
Old April 2, 2016, 07:59 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I thought about welding a small bead on the backside of the bolt and then filing it to fit. But now that the bolt handle isn't in my possession, it's a no can do.
Old April 2, 2016, 10:27 PM   #12
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
I thought about welding a small bead on the backside of the bolt and then filing it to fit. But now that the bolt handle isn't in my possession, it's a no can do.
If shimming is the only option, steel shims will do better. They are available from mcmaster.

-TL