The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 5, 2013, 01:29 AM   #26
9mm

Quote:
My C9 goes bang every time I pull the trigger and it is more accurate that I am. My son-in-law came over the other day with his Glock 17 to show me how "real" guns are better than the Hi-Point. His Glock jammed and my Hi-Point didn't. The Glock is much prettier and lighter but he spent more on the accessories for his gun than I paid for mine.

If you want reliable, accurate and cheap, get a Hi-Point. It's ugly but I'm not going to marry it, I'm going to shoot it.
Bro, if that was the case. Hi-point would have won contract over Glocks to LEO/Military around world. His Glock probably had a bad spring, mine did when I first got it (gen 4) had to reuqest one from Glock.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:13 AM   #27
CajunBass

I had one. It worked just fine.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 5, 2013, 02:10 PM   #28
LarryFlew

Bro, if that was the case. Hi-point would have won contract over Glocks to LEO/Military around world.

First they would have had to try for the contract. Glocks where not initially popular because of how good they where but that they could fill the contracts with reasonably priced reliable guns.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:29 PM   #29
recon14

Re: Hi-point

I have one as a glovebox gun and range toy. Ugly yes....but with over 700 rounds through it (.40) it has NEVER not gone bang. And it is very accurate. I had 2 guys with Glocks at the range ask to try it because their expensive toys couldn't do a complete clip without a jam. They couldn't believe how cheap it was to buy.

I carry a S&W but the Hi Point is just fun and dependable to play with.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:28 PM   #30
elDiabloLoco

Junkyard Dawg or Loyal Companion?

Maybe both?

This is one of the conversations I love. People are always on about how ugly they are.

But I wonder if any have ever chased off a bad guy by dazzling them with only the sheer radiant beauty and elegance of their ______(fill-in-the-blank).
Also forced to wonder if I want the bad guy admiringly impressed by the beauty of a jewel encrusted _______(fill-in-the-blank).

No, I think seeing a butt-ugly hand-cannon impersonator that looks like a much larger caliber when viewed by a bad guy under stress from the business end is probably the way I want that encounter to begin.

I want one that's reliable. C9? yup. Butt ugly is sometimes icing on the cake, not a detriment. Would love to have pretty ones too, but function is mission one.

C9 - Not much fun to field strip though. The pretty and more expensive firearms win that category handily.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #31
.40cal

I bought the 9mm carbine last year. The only drawback I can think of is the 10rnd mag capacity. Other than that, it does exactly what it's designed to do. Like all Hi Points. . . it shoots great, its built to last, looks like something from the 1968 Planet of the Apes movie.

But hey, who doesn't secretly want to be Charlton Heston???
Old March 5, 2013, 07:13 PM   #32
Cheapshooter

The ugliest, most clunky looking, rough, cheap, completely reliable, nearly industrictable, accurate POS pistol I have. Love it!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 5, 2013, 07:24 PM   #33
SPEMack618

One of my Fraternity Brothers and his girlfriend moved to a somewhat rough part of Atlanta. Having next to disposable income, he inquired to me as what would be a good pistol.

He went and pursued a local gun show, where he bought a Hi-Point in 9mm, NIB for $125 out the door. I gave him a box of Winchester SXTs I had stashed away.

We went to the range that next sunday and it ate everything we fed. WWB, Federal, UMC, some random Wolf junk I had rolling around in the bottom of an ammo can.

Works just fine as his bedside gun.

However, I do make the required boat anchor joke everytime we go to lake.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:42 PM   #34
alaskabushman

Ugly? Yes. Does it work? Yes. I have shot both 9mm and .45 versions and they all went bang bang bang! Hi-Point has a surprisingly good warranty which is worth something. This is right off their website.

"The Hi-Point of Service:
Damage, age, and plain old wear and tear—these things happen. When they do, Hi-Point customers enjoy a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. And lifetime means just that— free repairs for the life of the gun, whether you are the first owner, or the third. That service is fast, friendly and expertly performed. Your Hi-Point will be back in action, good as new, in no time."

They are so affordable that I don't see any reason NOT to have one. Not something I would lust after, but cheap enough I dont have to.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:03 PM   #35
bspillman

I saw a review done by the truth about guns that the initial review said they were junk, then i saw a guy from the same web site say the first review was staged to make the gun look like crap. This guy did another review supposedly with the same gun that the first guy used and the gun performed flawlessly, Go figure.
Old March 6, 2013, 04:21 PM   #36
droptrd

Quote:
In fact to get a better gun than a Hi-Point you'd have to spend 2.5x or more to get a better handgun and even then you might get crap depending on what you get.
this would put you in the glock xd m&p price range so....
Old March 6, 2013, 05:00 PM   #37
Garycw

Hi-point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
Ugly? Yes. Does it work? Yes. I have shot both 9mm and .45 versions and they all went bang bang bang! Hi-Point has a surprisingly good warranty which is worth something. This is right off their website.

"The Hi-Point of Service:
Damage, age, and plain old wear and tear—these things happen. When they do, Hi-Point customers enjoy a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. And lifetime means just that— free repairs for the life of the gun, whether you are the first owner, or the third. That service is fast, friendly and expertly performed. Your Hi-Point will be back in action, good as new, in no time."

They are so affordable that I don't see any reason NOT to have one. Not something I would lust after, but cheap enough I dont have to.
I've accumulated two 9mm, one 380, two carbines 9mm&.40 cal. All work flawlessly, never a FTF or FTE. Even with the cheapest ammo available.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 05:10 PM   #38
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
First they would have had to try for the contract.
I'm not sure they could provide a small fraction of the supply needed for that.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:14 PM   #39
REDBULL600

Once I cleaned mine and straighten the firing pin, it has never failed me with JHP. But for some reason Mine does not like the round nose FMJ, keeps nose diving.

Its a range toy I loan to a buddy who doesn't own a firearm when we go shooting, woods gun, and ATV gun.
Old March 9, 2013, 03:49 PM   #40
ccwnut

I own a C9, it's my dedicated car gun. For Everday Carry, it stinks. For everything else, it's okay, but it's still no kewpie doll. It serves its purpose and if it gets stolen, I'm only out $150.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:59 PM   #41
ET.

I've had a C9 for 15 years now. It was my first pistol. It has always been slightly ammo sensitive. With the right brand of ammo it works flawlessly. With the wrong ammo, well it's not so flawless. Right now it likes the cheap Federal 9mm fmj stuff from Walmart that's $19.99 for a box of 100. At least it has inexpensive tastes. It was a good first gun for me. I've moved on and now carry guns that I have more faith in, but if it was the only thing I could reach & it had the right ammo, I'd be okay with it.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:45 PM   #42
lamarw

Forty post and no proud pictures. Well here goes. One picture shows why I call it a "Poor Man's Glock". The other picture reveals it requires a truck to transport the heavy load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haskell (Glock Model).jpg (131.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg truck gun for real.jpg (185.6 KB, 63 views)
Old March 9, 2013, 11:19 PM   #43
Wreck-n-Crew

i love my hi-point 40 S&W

I have owned several guns including a S&W 9mm, S&W .357 magnum, h&R 22 revolver, Taurus .45 acp and a jennings .22 semi-auto belly gun to name a few.

But i have ran 480 rounds through my hi-point 40 S&W without a jamb using everything from reloads to w to winchester jhp.

The fact is that not all cheap guns are not malfunctioning guns. Hi-Point has the approach in their design to be mechanically sound with a balance of cutting manufacturing cost by using a combination plastic and a cast molded slide with only the necessary machining to cut cost.

From an engineering standpoint, they attempted to make it function well but left out focus on bulk.

My gun is accurate. I go to the range and my groupings have me moving the target back to 35 feet when most use 18 to 25 ft and use nicer guns mostly consisting of 9mm.

Its a little to big, but still fits for conceal carry and has a nice balance with low muzzle climb. Also it is a little heavy. Also, unlike any cheapo i have ever seen, you can shoot any round through it, Brand, reload, hallow point, doesn't matter.

But everything considered, this is the best cheap semi-automatic i have ever owned or shot. and it is the only cheap handgun that the range and armory has for sell and rent. They trust it enough to let someone shoot it at their range says something for a place that sells all of the good guns Walther, Glock, S&W, Beretta, sig sauer to name a few.

My recommendation is to try one if you have a few hundred dollars, you might be surprised.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:23 AM   #44
Garycw

Hi-point

PLUS..They're made in Ohio and guaranteed for life of gun!! And true they will shoot ammo other guns won't. I have three of the pistols and two of the carbines which are particularly fun to shoot.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 10, 2013, 03:14 PM   #45
dgludwig

I see the Hi-Point as being great car/boat/garage pistols. Reliable firearms with a fine customer service record that won't cause a clinically depressed state of mind should one be lost, stolen or incur damage from the elements.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:50 PM   #46
Garycw

Hi-point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I see the Hi-Point as being great car/boat/garage pistols. Reliable firearms with a fine customer service record that won't cause a clinically depressed state of mind should one be lost, stolen or incur damage from the elements.
I keep one in the bathroom. You could be very vulnerable in there depending on what your doing and where the bathroom is. I keep it oiled and don't worry too much about moisture

Sent from iPhone
Old March 11, 2013, 07:01 AM   #47
2000ShadowACE

I keep my C-9 next to my bed. It only has to work long enough for me to get to the shotgun under my bed.
For being an ugly, cheaply made gun, the C-9 is dead nuts accurate out to 25 yards. They do have more than their fair share of problems, but if you are on a tight budget, they are better than a rock or a pointy stick.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:23 AM   #48
Tactical Jackalope

Hi-point

I don't care what anyone says about it being a functioning pistol. My opinion is that it's garbage.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:31 AM   #49
Skans

Quote:
guys are these worth having? I'm looking for a bed side gun and range toy.
If you need a gun for protection and can't afford anything better, Hi-Point is not a bad choice. If you are looking for a range toy, there are much better choices. Also, if you can afford a "range toy", you can probably afford something better than a Hi-Point.

If you want to conduct torture tests and publish them on Youtube, then Hi-Point is perfect!
Old March 11, 2013, 08:10 AM   #50
Wreck-n-Crew

Well Constantine, i believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but don't knock it till you try it!
If you believe that they are junk , then you believe it for what ever reason.
I hear they are junk from people all the time, but have yet to hear it from an owner or previous owner that i know.
As in a matter of fact i was skeptical until so many people i know or met that had one said they are ugly but reliable.
For that reason alone i bought one and tried it for myself and it is the only cheap gun i would ever give a good review on and as far as cheap guns go it has been the most reliable i have ever owned.
I use to trade on them all the time, buying a Jennings or Davis for $40 or $50 dollars and selling them for $60 or $70.