The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1
RepentantMonkey

Having a problem with Lee dies and Accurate #2

I used to be an avid reloader but have been away from it for about 5 years. I purchased a Lee rotary press, dies, and accessories from a friend of mine to get back into reloading.

The 9mm die set from Lee says that, if using Accurate #2, 115 grain jacketed 9mm should be loaded with either a .3 Lee dipper (which throws about 4.0 grains) or a .34 auto disc (which does the same). I have both and have used them both.

However, loads made from either are consistently failing to cycle my Glock 17. ???

According to the latest Accurate load data from their website, Accurate #2 for the Sierra 15 gr FMJ is between 3.7 and 4.6 grains. Shouldn't 4.0 grains be a good mid-level load?

What am I missing?
Old February 25, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Sport45

I'm missing the problem with Lee dies mentioned in the title.

The normal solution for rounds that fire, but don't cycle an autoloader is to up the charge a bit. Does the next step up on your autodisk give greater than max loads?

I am assuming the weights you stated are actually weighed and not taken from a conversion chart. Lee supplies a dipper and data with each die set that produces a safe load. Not necessarily the best load.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
RepentantMonkey

Sport45,

Sorry. I misstated the issue. It is with the LOAD DATA that came with the Lee dies, not the dies themselves.

I can up the load to a .37 on the auto disc but I always try to stay in the middle of the load ranges and that would put it right at the max.

And yes ... I measured the loads on a scale.

Accurate #2 said on the can that is is clean burning. 'low pressure' so maybe I will switch to #5 and see how those perform at the recommended loads for that powder.

Thanks!
Old February 25, 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
david_r

Are you at the AA COL? If you load long, it will drop pressure. If you load short, it will increase pressure. It sounds like you don't have enough energy to cycle your glock. If it is in sound mechanical condition, clean and lubricated and were MINE, I would step up to the next disc size and see if it doesn't throw less than the listed maximum.

Why do you want to go to a different powder when you are 10% below published maximum loads? #5 is suited to developing maximum velocity out of the 9mm. If that is what you are looking for....
Old February 25, 2013, 11:13 PM   #5
j357

I'll offer some help straight from the 2nd Ed Lee handbook and my personal experience.
First, my disks throw less than the published loads, YMMV.
The handbook has a chart at the end that gives you and expected weight based on volumetric density of the powders. For Accurate 2 it lists the following: .30disk=3.6g; .32disk=3.8g .34disk=4.1g; .37disk=4.4g; .40disk=4.8g.

If your .30 disk only throws 3.6g of A2 you are just below the minimum load.

Standard disclaimers apply: Your disks and batch of powder may result in slight differences and potentially dangerous results. You are responsible for verifying through testing and load work up that your loads are safe.

Use all of your resources to their fullest extent. Don't skip steps and rely on what others tell you on the interweb. Measure carefully and use a scale is my recommendation.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Cyberbach

...or get a Lee perfect powder measure and use the micrometer to dial in exactly what you need. Just got one myself and I'll never use the old Lee slider again.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:10 AM   #7
david_r

curious what V3.4 of AA reloading manual shows for 9mm. Why the huge drop in charge weight?
Old February 26, 2013, 03:51 AM   #8
ljnowell

There is no need to change powder, simply work closer to max. AA2 will cycle the slide just fine
Old February 26, 2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Misssissippi Dave

I have used AA2 with a 115 grain JHP bullet in 9 mm. My OAL was 1.080" This is shorter than you would use for a FMJ. 4.0 grains wouldn't cycle my pistols. 4.2 grains would if you kept a very good solid grip on them. It took 4.4 grains of powder to cycle properly. I prefer using AA5 powder in 9 mm of the two powders you mention.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:41 AM   #10
RepentantMonkey

I think that Cyberbach hit the nail on the head. I need more fine control over the powder than the auto-disc gives me. I need to order a Lee perfect powder measure and I can dial in the loads exactly.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:43 AM   #11
RepentantMonkey

David_R,

I only have the 3.5 load data. I will do a little Googling and see if I can find the 3.4 data anywhere.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Sport45

Quote:
I need to order a Lee perfect powder measure and I can dial in the loads exactly.
I think you can get an adjustable charge bar for your auto disc. That would work too. I just don't know where to tell you to find one in stock.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:23 PM   #13
spacecoast

4.1 grains of AA#2 and 115 grain plated bullets work well in my P95 and my Hi Point carbine with a COL of 1.14"
Old February 27, 2013, 04:21 AM   #14
ljnowell

Quote:
I think that Cyberbach hit the nail on the head. I need more fine control over the powder than the auto-disc gives me. I need to order a Lee perfect powder measure and I can dial in the loads exactly.
Get the lee adjustable charge bar, its all I use. I can do AA2 from 2.5gr up with perfect accuracy every time