The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2012, 06:58 PM   #26
Crashbox

I use a solution of Maintex Neutral Cleaner (sold at Costco Business Centers) 1:32 dilution in my ultrasonic cleaner. To this I add about one teaspoon or so of citric acid per quart of solution, and run them at about 40 degrees C or 104 F for about five minutes or so per batch.

The addition of citric acid makes all the difference in the world WRT cleaning speed, and it supposedly passivates the brass, thereby minimizing corrosion.

All cases are de-primed prior to immersion. The primer pockets get CLEAN with this method, along with the remainder of the case.

That's my method.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:38 PM   #27
sportrider

I use the ss media method. Was using the old method of a tumbler with corn cob/walnut media for about ten years. Never was quite happy with the results and also with the changing out the media. Found out about ss media on snipershide forum. Saw the results and my mind was made up. You cant use a normal "vibrator" type machine, it has to be a true "tumbler" like a thumlers tumbler. The pins are roughly $50 for 5lbs but they never wear out! This process cleans inside the cases and primer pockets like new! Corncob/walnut never achieved that. The cost for the whole setup cost me about $200. Money well spent! On snipershide.com theres a huge blog on this method with pics/videos.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:43 PM   #28
tobnpr

Corncob/walnut for me.
The only purpose this serves is to clean the brass so you don't score or damage the sizing or seating dies by having dirt or grit on the cases.

I could care less if my brass is shiny enough to shave in it's reflection.
Old July 12, 2012, 02:41 AM   #29
Ethan.G

i just got my small (and cheap) sonic cleaner from harbor freight and it is amazing, im using citric acid and water and i love it, in less then 30sec you can actually watch the dirt and carbon come off of the cases

i live in the dessert and it takes a whole 45 seconds get the brass bone dry, just rinse then wipe em down with a paper towel and put them in the sun with a small fan breezing over them. (ok more like 10min but come on)
Old July 12, 2012, 06:01 PM   #30
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan.G View Post
i just got my small (and cheap) sonic cleaner from harbor freight and it is amazing, im using citric acid and water and i love it, in less then 30sec you can actually watch the dirt and carbon come off of the cases

i live in the dessert and it takes a whole 45 seconds get the brass bone dry, just rinse then wipe em down with a paper towel and put them in the sun with a small fan breezing over them. (ok more like 10min but come on)
Does that thing get the primer residue out too?

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old July 12, 2012, 06:40 PM   #31
L2R

+1 on SS pins and tumbler

Worried about separating pins from inside the brass but it isn't a problem at all.

350 9mm or 250 45 acp, 1 gallon water, 1 tblspn of dawn, 1/4 teaspoon of lemi-shine.

I have mine on a timer, it runs 2 1/2 hours while at work. Like new inside and out.
Old July 15, 2012, 09:15 AM   #32
Crashbox

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I use ultrasonic cleaning exclusively and it does indeed remove the primer residue.
Old July 15, 2012, 11:22 AM   #33
Ethan.G

Quote:
sure does, i hit it with the primer pocket cleaner first (the little tool), just scrape it a couple times it gets most of it off and then the sonic cleaner gets the rest of it.

and honestly it got my brass cleaner in 12min then my tumbler was doing in 2 hours, i couldnt believe all the time i had been wasting
Old July 17, 2012, 01:44 AM   #34
judgecrater

I just run the vibrator for a couple of hours with plain corn or walnut media. Remember, any of these home brew additives are also inside the case with the powder and may interact.
Old July 17, 2012, 11:08 AM   #35
TXJohn

+1 judgecrater, this is what i do also. You can go to any pet store and get corn cob media in 10 lb bags for a few dollars works just as good as the high dollar Lyman media... JMO
Old July 18, 2012, 09:48 PM   #36
Jim Duncan

I have a Thumler's coming in Friday..... SS pins get here tomorrow. Should be interesting.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:27 PM   #37
FiveInADime

Quote:
sure does, i hit it with the primer pocket cleaner first (the little tool), just scrape it a couple times it gets most of it off and then the sonic cleaner gets the rest of it.

and honestly it got my brass cleaner in 12min then my tumbler was doing in 2 hours, i couldnt believe all the time i had been wasting
How am I going to talk the ol' lady into letting me buy one of these things?! I have put off buying a tumbler so long and now I know why.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old July 18, 2012, 11:18 PM   #38
Clark

I made a 12 minute video showing me cleaning brass with Walnut shells and stainless media.

This is a boring video if you already do this kind of thing.
But maybe I can help someone that does not already do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou9kKhlXcJk
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 19, 2012, 03:19 AM   #39
Ethan.G

Quote:
How am I going to talk the ol' lady into letting me buy one of these things?! I have put off buying a tumbler so long and now I know why.
do it! i felt like an idiot thinking of all the time i wasted. also i got some lyman "turbo sonic" steel cleaner for gun parts, its awesome to pull out a sticky revolver cylinder and just plop it in there and watch the grime just pour off it (floats off like smoke really awesome to watch) so talking to the lady you can say something like.. "ill be able to spend less time cleaning and more with you " or something charming of the sort..

i cant attest to this cheepo models durability but i love the way it works for the amount i paid for it

Last edited by Ethan.G; July 19, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old July 19, 2012, 04:54 PM   #40
straight-shooter

I recently switched to wet rotary tumbling in a Thumler Tumbler B and absolutely like it! I use 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi-shine and 2 tablespoons of Dawn dishsoap and 5 pounds of steel media.

Before

After
Old July 19, 2012, 05:22 PM   #41
jib

Where are you guys buing the SS media and what are you paying?
Old July 20, 2012, 01:46 AM   #42
Clark

A year and a half ago I was buying from Mark Humphreville in SC selling from his home. His prices were about what they are now from web sites if you Google "stainless steel media brass"
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 20, 2012, 03:44 AM   #43
Jim Duncan

I ordered my Stainless Steel media from Midway...$44.50 for 5 pounds.
Old July 20, 2012, 07:57 PM   #44
jib

OK thanks.

For anyone watching the thread, this is the best I've found at $7/pound for 5 pounds and $11 for USPS shipping, expecially if I combine the order with a media seperator, driving the media portion of the shipping costs down.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/stainless....aspx?CAT=3889

I have about another few days of work to complete the tumbler and check it out, then I'll order up the media. It seems like just under $50 for 5 pounds is the price.

I appreaciate the quick responses.

Jack
Old July 20, 2012, 09:51 PM   #45
Jim Duncan

Set up my Thumler's tonight and ran a batch of .40 brass I got from Alaska...filled with trash and dirt.... alot of it literally blackened. Looks brand new... polished to a jewelry finish (which I don't care about really) but the insides are just about as good as the outsides which is good. Wow.