The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2009, 12:41 PM   #1
mmtecg

What is the final goal in working up a load?

Basically just that. What am I supposed to be trying to achieve in my loads.

I am going to have to say that in my lightly educated opinion that I should be trying to get...

The highest velocity (without to much pressure)

The most accuracy

Perfect cycling action (semi-auto)

Now obviously high velocity is not necessary if you want a light plinking load but good accuracy and cycling action is mandatory.

SOOOO. Is the idea to #1 find the bullet you want to use. #2 work with the components until you find the best balance of accuracy, performance, and velocity??

Thank you Michael
Old September 4, 2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Creeper

If this is a hunting rifle, then your number one variable is the choice of bullet. Weight, construction... the ability to do what you need it to do.

The second variable is consistency in your load. Will it perform in the field, under the conditions you expect to encounter, like it does at the range?

Third is accuracy, for obvious reasons. What is the "required" accuracy for the game and distance? Is your accuracy better or worse? Better is always a confidence maker... good enough or worse can ruin a hunt if you can't account for the variables.

If this is a target/plinking rifle, and a successful hunt does not ride on the cartridge, then load for best accuracy... assuming safety standards are met and the rifle cycles properly.

C
Old September 4, 2009, 01:06 PM   #3
QBall45

Function
Reliability
Consistency
Accuracy
Old September 4, 2009, 01:20 PM   #4
mmtecg

Thanks guys. One more thing.

When you are working up a load, how do you do it? .5 grains at a time or something similar?

Also, when you change something about your load, how many rounds do you make at a time so that you can test sufficiently but without wasting if the change didn't work out?
Old September 4, 2009, 01:24 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

i like my load hot... so... i usually start half way up the recommended loads...not at the bottom... .then i work up at .5 grain per .... usually ten rds at a time
Old September 4, 2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Creeper

Quote:
When you are working up a load, how do you do it? .5 grains at a time or something similar?

Also, when you change something about your load, how many rounds do you make at a time so that you can test sufficiently but without wasting if the change didn't work out?
The smaller the case/caliber, the smaller the change variable.

Depends on the gun and shooter. For benchrest matches, changes occur on the fly, but as you have a good idea of what the result of the change will be, it's not that relevant a concern.
For other applications, you should be able to figure out everything you need to know with 5 rounds or less.

C
Old September 4, 2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Horseman

Quote:
It took me a few years to understand what usually nets the most difference or gain in accuracy. I'll generally use 1 or 2 powders and don't change that until I know the powder won't work. The biggest gains will be seen from changing the projectile itself so I start there. Then I'll play with seating depth. Most rifles I own perform best around .020" to .005" jump to lands. By the time that's dialed in I may go back and play with powder charge but don't usually see big changes in accuracy. For a hunting load I'll get up near max powder and call it good so long as accuracy does not decrease.

Contributing factors in producing a good load IME;

1.bullet-(more important than all other factors combined IMO)
2.seating depth
3.velocity(powder charge)
4.neck tension
5.run-out
Old September 4, 2009, 02:19 PM   #8
confirmed shooter

I have all-ways found that my most important role as a shooter was to put the bullet where i wanted it to be. Even a .22 will do an important job, given its put in the right spot. charlie sierra
Old September 4, 2009, 04:24 PM   #9
LHB1

Quote: "What am I supposed to be trying to achieve in my loads."

A SAFE load that functions properly in your firearm and meets your needs!
Old September 4, 2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Nightowl

Working up a load

Quote:
When you are working up a load, how do you do it?
Another thing to keep in mind...Only make one change at a time so if the change you made has an adverse result, you will know the exact cause. Good luck!
Always - Safety First!
Old September 4, 2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Blue

Optimal Charge Weight - Newberry

I have found this to be very helpful.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

This came to me from Unclenick.

Works a lot better than what I was doing before. Normalizes the variables and give you a repeatable solution. So simple it is genius. What I was doing before was good common sense but there is nothing common about Newberry just good sense here.
Old September 4, 2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Tex S

+1 on what Blue said.
Old September 5, 2009, 04:30 PM   #13
castnblast

I load for accuracy first. Velocity is just a "currious factor"

I work my loads up in .5gr increments, and 4 shot groups, If I then take the two most accurate and work .1 gr. increments from there to see if there is a sweet spot or not. Most of the times there is not, but on smaller callibers there may be - i.e. 22's. I do the same w/ pistol rounds, but it's more an excuse to tinker than anything else with those.
Old September 6, 2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Big Caliber

+2 for Blue. Fascinating stuff!
Old September 7, 2009, 11:39 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Most reloading manuals will suggest the following rules:

Up to 10gr capacity cartridges: increase in 0.1 to 0.2 grain increments.

10 to 25gr capacity cartridges: increase in 0.2 to 0.3 grain increments.

25 to 50gr capacity cartridges: increase in 0.5 grain increments.

Over 50gr capacity cartridges: increase in 1.0 grain increments (until within ~2.0gr of max, then increase in steps of 0.5gr)

Quote:
I work my loads up in .5gr increments,.....
Not terrible advice.... However, applying that blanked statement to all cartridges can cause some serious safety issues. .380 Auto loaded with Titegroup, is a good example. Many bullets show loading data for that cartridge and powder with a minimum to maximum range of only 0.3 grains. (2.8gr to 3.1gr, for example) Increasing in a single 0.5 grain increment will definitely create some unwanted issues, since the load is now over-max.
Old September 7, 2009, 10:18 PM   #16
Blue Grass

Keep accurate, detailed records. If you don't write it down, it never happened.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:12 AM   #17
mmtecg

Quote:
Keep accurate, detailed records. If you don't write it down, it never happened.
Yeah that. I am not really a perfectionist but I made a VERY detailed load data sheet that I fill out for each load and each change in each load. This is sorta what it looks like except some changes I made in mine.

LOAD DATA SHEET

NAME:___________________________________________

GUN:____________________________________________

CALIBER: _________________________________________

POWDER:_________________________________________

BULLET:__________________________________________

PRIMER: _________________________________________

CASE: ___________________________________________

SPECS:

ACCURACY: HIGH:_______ LOW:_______

VELOCITY: BEST:_______ WORST: _______ AVG:_______

CYCLING:_________________________________________

NOTES:

Old September 8, 2009, 07:20 AM   #18
SL1

Put Lot Numbers in your notes

for bullets, powder and primers.

And, I keep track of the dates that those things were purchased, because I let some get quite old (while I am shooting-up the others).

I also keep track of the SOURCE Of my brass, whether purchased new as a component, purchased new as loaded ammo, picked-up as once-fired or picked-up as dirty range brass.

For rifle brass, I also keep track of how many times I have fired it. At least until I relegate it to the "not for serious work" category.

SL1
Old September 8, 2009, 07:18 PM   #19
mmtecg

Yeah. Like i said the actual version is more update than this and gives boxes to check for how many times it has been shot and then a line to write the brand of the brass as well as other notes such as where it originated.

I like the lot number idea, thanks.

I just thought of something. Lets say that after a lot of hard work you FINALY get your load just the way you want it, and then you buy bulk powder (among other things) so that you can go for a while without having to worry about running out...

NOW, can you mix the gun powder (obviously the same brand and type) and then pour it back into its separate containers, so that you can go from bottle to bottle of powder without worrying that it will change something???
Old September 8, 2009, 08:41 PM   #20
SL1

Why not just make sure that you buy several cans of the same lot of powder? Then you won't have to mix anything. The "mixing" would have already been done by the manufacturer when the "blended" lots to get the burning characterisitcs for that particular canister name of powder, before dispensing it into those tins.

I don't know what to say about mixing different lots of the same powder. The manufacturers say not to do it. Looking at how different some of the parameters are for supposedly identical powders in QuickLOAD, it seems like they can get the same velocity/pressure performance in a variety of ways. I don't know what would happen if you mixed two different blends of powder that had different combinations of burning rates/ progressivities/progressivity limits/heats of explosion, etc. set-up to give the same performance. Would the mix give the same performance, or would some non-linearities foul-up the balance?

SL1
Old September 9, 2009, 09:37 AM   #21
mmtecg

Good to know, Thanks. I guess I'll just buy the same lot number and NOT mix. But if you are buying online how can you know if you are getting the same lot number?

Michael